Print this entire topic · 
Paulv8

1989 Defender 90 V8 Petrol CSW Alpine White
Parking sensors
Has anybody drilled the rear crossmember for parking sensors? V8 90...WIP
Post #611719 23rd Mar 2017 10:43pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Mine had them fitted when i bought it. They worked well, but by drilling the cross member you're breaking the zinc coating under the paint so it will start to rust from the holes if not treated properly afterwards. The wiring was a mess though and broke when i was doing some tidying up so i binned them.
Post #611745 24th Mar 2017 2:15am
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
Hi, mine had a very small camera on the tow hitch plate which activates on the rear view mirror when you select reverse. No audible warning,but a scale shows on the mirror. Do not know of iI would have fitted it , but works very well. Thud 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #611747 24th Mar 2017 2:22am
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
Hi there are a couple of threads on here about them if you use the search option, remember someone, Dargel I think did a good write up on his experiences DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #611750 24th Mar 2017 6:01am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
zsd-puma wrote:
Mine had them fitted when i bought it. They worked well, but by drilling the cross member you're breaking the zinc coating under the paint so it will start to rust from the holes if not treated properly afterwards.

There's no zinc coating on a factory chassis, which is why they rust so easily. Not that I'm suggesting that makes it ok to drill more holes in them!

I have seen sensors mounted in the jacking tube holes, which looks quite neat. Only if you don't need to use the holes for jacking though, of course, Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #611772 24th Mar 2017 9:46am
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I have the NAS rear step fitted. It has plastic plugs filling the jacking holes. Just drilled the plastic and the sensor fits very nicely.
If I hadn't been able to do that, I think I'd have made some sort of bracket that could be bolted somewhere rather than drilling the metal.
Post #611779 24th Mar 2017 10:14am
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
I did the same, and fitted to my NAS step, you also need to be aware the sensors need to be fitted to a non-metallic surface, so I made small plastic brackets
Post #611786 24th Mar 2017 10:31am
zsd-puma

LandRoverAnorak wrote:
zsd-puma wrote:
Mine had them fitted when i bought it. They worked well, but by drilling the cross member you're breaking the zinc coating under the paint so it will start to rust from the holes if not treated properly afterwards.

There's no zinc coating on a factory chassis, which is why they rust so easily. Not that I'm suggesting that makes it ok to drill more holes in them!

There is a zinc phosphate wash (which gets used on all steel body panels), it's not galvanising, it's just a very thin treatment. You'll see when the factory black paint fades the zinc coating underneath protects it for a few months before it finally rusts. It's the same stuff you get in those rust removing dips, they basically weld the things, then dunk them in a rust removing dip before painting to remove any light surface rust, but it also leaves a light protective coating. Drilling a hole through it just hastens the onset of rust.
Post #611797 24th Mar 2017 11:03am
zsd-puma

bpman wrote:
the sensors need to be fitted to a non-metallic surface, so I made small plastic brackets

Mine were shoved directly into holes in the cross member, they worked perfectly. No plastic brackets or anything used.
Post #611800 24th Mar 2017 11:07am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
zsd-puma wrote:
There is a zinc phosphate wash (which gets used on all steel body panels), it's not galvanising, it's just a very thin treatment. You'll see when the factory black paint fades the zinc coating underneath protects it for a few months before it finally rusts. It's the same stuff you get in those rust removing dips, they basically weld the things, then dunk them in a rust removing dip before painting to remove any light surface rust, but it also leaves a light protective coating. Drilling a hole through it just hastens the onset of rust.

Ah, ok. That's essentially just paint prep and not what would generally be understood to be a zinc coating in this context. It should definitely not be relied on as any sort of rust protection. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #611807 24th Mar 2017 11:45am
zsd-puma

Agreed, although every little helps, but drilling a hole through it doesn't help. Very Happy
Post #611810 24th Mar 2017 11:51am
Riverboy

2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
I was going to have sensors added last year but in the end decided that a reversing camera was better, two cameras in my case, one above the rear door and one low down pointing towards the tow hitch. The front and rear of these vehicles are so flat, it makes sensors unnecessary, I think anyway.
Post #611812 24th Mar 2017 11:55am
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Having had either factor sensors or fitted them myself on previous cars I do find them annoying.

They tend to start beeping way before you get close to what ever it is, then the beeps get louder and even when full on you can still be a fair gap away?

Like others I fitted a camera, no noise, works very very well and I can get closer than any reversing sensors using it. Also handy for hooking up trailers Smile
Post #611816 24th Mar 2017 12:28pm
zsd-puma

It does depend on the car. The factory fitted ones on my old Range Rover used to work a treat, and put you consistently 6in away from anything if you waited until the tone went continuous. My Old X-type used to stop you about a foot away.

They are a pain if you tow anything though, factory ones usually have a towing cut out feature, but most after market ones don't.

Cameras are much more versatile, and if placed correctly they're ideal for coupling up trailers single handed. The down side with a camera is where to place the screen. If you have a double din head unit they're great but a standalone screen can take up a lot of dash space. There are ways around it, but all involve more work than an audible sensor.
Post #611885 24th Mar 2017 7:23pm
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
When I had a 90, I couldn't understand why anyone would want any parking assistance. In a 110 .....
Post #612058 25th Mar 2017 6:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>