↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Coolant warning light/buzzer
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
benniferj

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
Coolant warning light/buzzer
I'm running an aftermarket coolant temp gauge - sensor sits in a metal join/insert on my rad top hose and is giving me a really good accurate reading in degrees. The original gauge had a problem hence replacement. I currently have no warning for if it's getting too hot - i'm on a manual electric fan and sometimes when off roading with limited rad flow I need to engage heater/elec fan to bring it down a bit. Is there a simple way I can parallel some electronics to my temp sensor on the top hose to effectively give me a relayed output on/off based on when it hits a certain temp (voltage/resistance?) - the temp threshold could simply be on a dial that I can set myself and hide away.

Ideas would be great - once i've got an 'on' state for say 96deg then I can work out if I want a light, buzzer or both, that's the easy bit. I'm thinking there must be something at Maplin that I can do this with!

Cheers!

(Edit: my elec fan doesnt have this as part of a kit. It's a fan modified from some kind of Ford with a custom plate to attach it to my rad. I'm also not interested in making the fan automatic although of course that would be easy when i've got a 96 temp trigger working)
Post #611317 22nd Mar 2017 8:54am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1