↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > forward facing rear seat conversion -Favour please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
forward facing rear seat conversion -Favour please
I am in the process of adding genuine rear seats to my H/T. I have assembled various bits over several months, and am just waiting for the carpet and load mat to arrive. For unknown reasons this will not be shipped until next week ???? and I was rather hoping to have this finished by the weekend !!!

My arch adapters are a new design, no longer covering the whole wheel box, and as such can be moved forward or back. I have been told to mount them centrally, but wanted to check the cut outs on the carpet will align with the edges of the cutdown arch adapter.( I believe they are cut each end to aid fitting to the lower cutout)

Would it be posssible for somone with a station wagon to take some measurements of the oem carpet and rubber mat ??
Post #588632 30th Dec 2016 9:38am
meeerrrk

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
How did you get on fitting your seats?

I'm looking to add genuine seats to my HT, other than the seats what other parts do you need to collect? (Except for carpet, I'm ok with that side of things).

Any hints or tips would be appreciated, thanks.

Mark My 90 Project : http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic52774.html
Post #610645 19th Mar 2017 6:28pm
barbel jim

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

its relatively straight forward. although daunting as you cut the wheelboxes Shocked

Youve posted on the Seats for sale thread, however at a guess you will also need https://www.lrisolutions.co.uk/index.php/l...-110.html.
You can fit the seats without the arch mod, however theres limited headroom with it (drops about 50mm), the arch plate adapters are roughly £240. I brought mine from Chris at CSK, although there is another chap who makes them near Leicester.
You'll also need the seat belt bracket and belts :- https://www.lrisolutions.co.uk/index.php/l...0-110.html and https://www.lrisolutions.co.uk/index.php/l...-110.html. and finally https://www.lrisolutions.co.uk/index.php/l...of-4.html. I also added a genuine LR loadspace mat for the OE look. Insurance has been no issue when informed, sailed through MOT with a compliment on how professional it looks. I'm really pleased, makes it easier transporting daughter and her mates, as well as making me super cool !!!Feel free to PM me your Number, I'll gladly talk you through it/ be on call Thumbs Up
Post #610984 20th Mar 2017 8:26pm
meeerrrk

That's very useful information, thank you so much.

I'm going to have a think about it. I'm not sure I want to cut the wheel arches out; I don't really NEED the seats, it's just between the two of us now we have two 2 seaters, and a single seater, so not the most practical Car collection Smile

Thank you, I'll have a look at all those links and make sure understand what's involved before deciding.

Bow down My 90 Project : http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic52774.html
Post #611024 20th Mar 2017 9:28pm
stigomery

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 HT Belize Green
I have Exmoor forward facing seats in the back of my HT, no cutting of wheel boxes required. The flexibility is great having the extra seats when I need them.
Post #611065 20th Mar 2017 11:04pm
rockster57

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
Like Stig, I also have Exmoor forward facers in the back. Only, mine are not in the back of my HT, they are in the back of my garage! The reason they're gathering dust is that I'm still thinking about the alternative of going down the route of OEM seats with the wheel arch conversion instead.

Most of the above LRS links aren't working for me so I'm not sure what Jim is showing you. However, if it helps, besides the seats and seat belts and the top seat belt mounting brackets, you will also require the plastic covers to go over the seat hinges with their blanking plugs, the seats themselves have separate fold out support legs which are often not included in the sale of second hand seats, and there are strengthening brackets for seat belt mounts to fit under the tub that attach to the rear cross member with fasteners and anti-crush spacers. The genuine station wagons also appear to have additional under tub strengthening plates for the seat hinge/seat support legs mounts but I haven't managed to find out whether they are available as a retrofit nor ever found any forum reference to them? Perhaps people who have done this conversion have simply employed sections of folded steel for this purpose?

Despite all the additional work/time/expense, I will probably opt for the cut away wheel arch conversion. I am no expert and like you I am still researching what is involved. I'm not convinced I know the full extent of it yet. Should I find out anything further, I'll pass on the information to you.
Post #611073 21st Mar 2017 1:29am
meeerrrk

That's a good point, I have been looking this evening at the exmoor seats which don't require cutting.

Rockstar, what trim are your exmoor seats?! Very Happy

The added advantage of the exmoor ones is I can get the matching trim to the upgrade fronts I've just done from exmoor - XS half leather black rack.

These things are never straight forward are they! My 90 Project : http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic52774.html
Post #611089 21st Mar 2017 8:58am
rockster57

My Exmoors are cloth mondus trim to match my fronts. A further advantage of these is I have figured a way of installation that allows them to be completely removed/refitted in a few minutes. With the Exmoor seats removed the shape of the wheel arches is IMO better for load carrying than the modified angled arches. The downside of the Exmoors is they are awkward to get in and out of due to the lack of the central gap between the seats that you get with the wheel arch conversion.
Post #611096 21st Mar 2017 9:38am
barbel jim

Don't exmoors when deployed basically touch ? Which makes it interesting getting in and out ??
Also I was told you have to drop the fuel tank to fit the seat belt clip ,which stays in the middle of the floor when the seats are folded away.
Oem station wagons have a different arch to the arch adapters. Oem arches have the cut out along the full length,so the design is not that self supporting . The adapters are tapered back up to a square at both ends. ( 1 of my pictures shows it ) I was told that as you only cut out the recessed arch bit, the rigidity is retained, and then you fit the new plate over the top, as a second skin. There is also the ribs under the tub , which you can fix into.

Neither are cheap options, but I was of the persuasion that OEM looked better and would add fewer complications with things like insurance, and agree nothing is ever straight forward. Thumbs Up
Post #611271 21st Mar 2017 10:31pm
rockster57

Jim, you are right about how close together the seats are. However that doesn't seem to be a problem for some on here who have Exmoors fitted. As for the dropping of the fuel tank, that depends on the seats. There is a type that fits that way and others (like mine) have the seat belt buckle attached to the seat itself rather than the floor thus avoiding the problem.
Post #611283 21st Mar 2017 10:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1