↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > I know it's a Defender, but.... comfort
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
chiversn

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
I know it's a Defender, but.... comfort
So, I'm on my 3rd Defender (now a 2011, 2.4 110, 50k miles) - the bushes and shocks are coming round to replacement time (audible play / noise from some bushes).
On my last 2.4 (a 2007MY 110) I replaced the bushes for poly all-round and replaced the shocks for standard height terra firma units and stuck with the standard springs. The ride really was good and much improved. I'm tempted to just repeat this again.

However, I'm wondering what suspension set-up people would recommend for maximum on-road comfort?

I don't go off-road more than gravel tracks, use it daily for a family of 6 and drive a mix of local roads and motorways.

Many thanks in advance - Nick ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My first job involved driving from Southampton to Wick in a 300TDI (twice)
The experience of 3000 miles in a Defender has never left me (for many reasons!)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post #553636 4th Aug 2016 9:44am
Likeomg

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic21209.html

they've just brought out the comfort version... or are about too
Post #553639 4th Aug 2016 9:58am
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
I've been working to try to get the Defender to drive more like my Disco2. Loads of soundproofing and comfort upgrades etc...

WRT the springs/shocks

I replaced my USW springs with CSW ones (i.e. what you have now), and also the shock absorbers are now Koni Heavy-Track all round.

I guess the USW is lighter at the back than the CSW so mine is better than original but still feels "choppy"

Good improvement with the shocks. However I wanted to improve the ride further, so just ordered some -5cm, 20% softer springs for the rear.

From here http://www.coilsprings.co.uk/

They should arrive soon, and once they so I will post an update.

Previous write-up here http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic13312.html

As they're softer, and also reduced the ride height (at the rear), I am thinking it may affect handling... The lower ride will help the centre of gravity, but the softer may affect wallow in corners, so dependant on some road-testing, I may uprate the ARB...

Hope that helps. Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #553668 4th Aug 2016 11:31am
Green Machine

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
As Martin suggests above, it becomes a balancing act between ride and handling. Stiff springs give you great cornering but a terrible ride, soft springs give you a comfy ride, but wallowy / rolly cornering.

The Alive comfort springs are designed to be a good balance between the two. I have the 90 version fitted and find them great. Definitely smoother and more comfy than the originals, but you retain almost all of the cornering / handling performance. I combined them with Discovery spring isolators at both top and bottom mainly to counteract the 1" lowering of the spring, but this may also help with comfort (hard to know whether they actually have any effect or not as haven't tried with or without comparison).

I am running the springs with Koni Heavy Track shocks, but I'd prioritise springs over shocks in your case (unless you know the shocks are stuffed). The springs make the most significant difference to the ride. Shocks all do the same job, some just do it more effectively than others. Changing the shocks alone will make relatively little difference to the ride (unless the old shocks are past their best). I swapped my shocks for the Konis before swapping the springs and shocks alone made absolutely no discernible difference to the ride quality.

One caviat to what I have said about the Alive comfort springs is they won't give you the comfiest ride you could possibly achieve. They will give a very good balance between ride and handling, but you could achieve a softer ride with a softer spring (but to the detriment of cornering performance). Also, my experiences are based on the Alive comfort springs for a 90, not a 110, so I can't guarantee that the 110 version will perform in exactly the same way, although assume they will be very similar.

In terms of bushes, I replaced all of mine with genuine rubber bushes. After doing a lot of research, the general concensus seemed to be that rubber would give better comfort than poly (even the 'comfort' variants of poly). There also seemed to be a general theme of people saying they had tried polybushes, but then went back to rubber. If you do decide to go with rubber, it seems that genuine / OEM are considered to be worth the extra cost over aftermarket for better life / performance (particularly avoid the ones in blue boxes, but I apply that rule to pretty much everything). Again, I'm not suspension expert, just passing on my findings from the research I have done. 2005 Td5 | 90 Station Wagon | Tonga Green
Post #553678 4th Aug 2016 12:07pm
corgi1

England 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
afternoon gents, would love a smoother ride, mainly on the road,but I think its going to cost me a fortune?? how much for a nicer ride for my 09 plate 90?
thanks
Pete
Post #610881 20th Mar 2017 3:24pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Quote:
Stiff springs give you great cornering

That's probably stretching it a bit. better cornering, but great? Laughing

But no seriously it's true the softer you go the more sloppy they get.

Have you tried playing around with the tyre pressures a bit? if you don't run it fully laden all the time, then lowering the tyre pressures can make a big difference.
Post #610919 20th Mar 2017 5:45pm
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
Can't beat standard springs and Koni shocks with 33 psi in the tyres Oh and the wheelbase of a 130 Thumbs Up
Post #610976 20th Mar 2017 8:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1