↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > 2.4 breathing heavy..
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
M94PUMA

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
2.4 breathing heavy..
Hi all,
My 2.4 tdci is a heavy breather, take off the oil filler cap whilst engine is running and there is a very strong chuff out the filler, it does use oil so I'm guessing piston rings are starting to go, I really haven't the funds to put a new engine in at the minute. I'm thinking would it be better for me to take the engine breather off the air intake and just to put its own breather on and cap off the hole left on the turbo intake as its filling the turbo intake up with pressure and oil from the engine breather, I've put a brand new turbo on so it nots that at fault,
Cheers
Post #609435 14th Mar 2017 5:39pm
Devon-Rover

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
I would suspect the injectors / washers before the pistons. TDCI's are known for the injector clamp bolt working loose but before it gets that bad you will see an increase in crankcase pressure
Post #609436 14th Mar 2017 5:50pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
as above its most likely leaking injector washers
Post #609448 14th Mar 2017 7:02pm
M94PUMA

Thanks for the messages but I think it's abit more than injector washers building up pressure straight after the oil cap is put back on? I've got a video attached..

Post #609870 16th Mar 2017 4:55pm
ian series 1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
I would be changing the seals and washers before I dug any deeper.
Pretty rare for the rings to give up on a TDCI. 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Wanted, Forward Control Anything considered.
Post #609883 16th Mar 2017 6:30pm
grafty99

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
+1

Injector seals are far cheaper than any sort of deeper investigation work Thumbs Up 2002 90 Td5 Station Wagon
1990 Vogue SE
Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
Td5 90 Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic50767.html
Tdi 110 Thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic69562.html
RRC Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic54492.html
Instagram http://www.instagram.com/george_grafton
Post #609886 16th Mar 2017 6:34pm
zsd-puma

If it was the rings it would be burning oil like crazy too.

Only takes an hour or so to replace the injector washers and seals. Idealy you want a soft wire bush to poke down the injector hole to clean any carbon off the seats, but other than that it's basicaly a spanner and socket job.

LR/Ford specify replacing the injector pipes, but i just reused my old ones and they sealed up fine. The two retaining bolts are stretch bolts i think and they specify replacing them too, but they're only about £4 each from dealers.
Post #609908 16th Mar 2017 7:50pm
SimonDavies

Wales 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Zambezi Silver
As above, new bolts are a must. I re-used the pipes and have had no further issues. My injectors were a little carboned up and so went off for testing - 2 failed. Might be worth having yours tested if they are out.
Post #610288 18th Mar 2017 11:46am
rossy

Ireland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
I'm grateful you started this thread M94puma as it prompted me to whip off the splash cover and check mine. Its been burning a little oil for about a year now ( only on periods of repeated short journeys not on long ones ). Sure enough one of the injectors is black and oily at the base.

I haven't the guts to do the job myself so I'm going to have it done ASAP. I would never have known there was problem as the performance, mpg etc has been perfect.

Just one question for anyone in the know who might be reading this. I haven't a clue how crank case pressure/fumes are vented in pumas so where does this oily gunge go and, of more concern, where does it end up ? As its a keeper I'm having visions of the turbo, intercooler pipes, egr etc being bunged up with crud. Do all these things now need cleaning out or is it simply a matter of changing the seals and off you go ?

Post #612373 26th Mar 2017 8:48pm
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Watching with interest..

I had the retaining bolt get loose issue, and have since sourced seals, bolts and pipes but haven't got around to the work yet.

Need to block off a few days for the eventual 'other problem' I'll find/have in doing the job.

Many forum threads about how essential cleanliness is, how you must replace pipes, how hard it is to pull the injectors etc. and yet just as many with people saying it'll take an hour and use all variety of bush mechanic processes (in their driveway).

In my case and FWIW, I torqued up the loose bolt on the roadside until if felt 'ok' - which to me was tight but certainly no more yielding.

Been going fine for about 4k since, (I cleaned up the housing with no new clag/residue apparent). I don't plan on leaving it that way, and a new bolt sits in the cubbybox, but yeah, it's a drivin' Thumbs Up

I plan on doing the two that have the loose bolt first, see how that goes, then have the think about the other two - if it aint broke ... Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #612402 26th Mar 2017 9:40pm
zsd-puma

Quote:
I plan on doing the two that have the loose bolt first, see how that goes, then have the think about the other two - if it aint broke ...

For the extra 15 min it'll take you may as well do the other too at the same time. They're likely still leaking just not enough to be blowing out of the cam cover. A small wire brush to clean up the seats where the washers go is a good idea too, to make sure they seal well.
Post #612414 26th Mar 2017 10:24pm
M94PUMA

Just done the seals and could see it had been blowing by the injectors did not look very happy!! She's still got some pressure behind the oil filler cap but it's better than it was, should they have no pressure coming out the of oil filler cap at all whilst running? Or is a bit acceptable? I've never worked on these tdci engines,

But no I don't think it's the rings as it does blow any blue smoke whilst running. Just breathes heavy and uses oil.
Post #612601 27th Mar 2017 5:10pm
M94PUMA

It took me about half an hour from start to finish, only struggle was removing the old seals off the tops of the injectors, had to use a knife edge to prise each one off, new seals where that tight of a fit I could only just get them on the tips and then just gently put them back into the cylinder head and just gave the injector a tap downwards with my hand to push the new seals down the injector shaft, then took it back out to check it had seated and then put back in the head.

As for the crankcase breather it vents back into the intake just before the turbo, so any pressure pushes oil & pressure into the turbo and back through the engine..
Post #612647 27th Mar 2017 7:15pm
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Thoughts on replacing the pipes?

Also, how are people retorqueing the pipe unions to spec? Everyone has the correct insert and wrench to accept it?

I understand that not all torque specs are that critical, but I would have thought that this one is (?) Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #612654 27th Mar 2017 7:28pm
rossy

Ireland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
M94PUMA wrote:

As for the crankcase breather it vents back into the intake just before the turbo, so any pressure pushes oil & pressure into the turbo and back through the engine..

But wouldn't the turbo vanes eventually get clogged up with oil and carbon ? Just trying to understand as mine has been like this now for God knows how long and its running well surprisingly. I thought only clean air went through the compressor whilst exhaust gases operated the turbine impellers. My turbo and intercooler must be in an awful state !

Post #612685 27th Mar 2017 8:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>