↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Heating issue Td5
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
CDN38

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 SW Bonatti Grey
Hoping to get a chance to work on it this weekend, but the way the chores are piling up Big Cry it's a Landrover thing...

my renovation thread:
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40792.html
Post #606700 4th Mar 2017 6:44pm
GSLRO

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Chawton White
I had a similar situation with my TD5 (2001). Switched over to electric fan(s) using the x-engineering thermostat, have a rad muff 90% of the time for short journey's and changed that cap on my header tank as old one was not holding the pressure. Works fine now. Adventure isn't paved!
Post #606825 5th Mar 2017 8:59am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CDN38

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 SW Bonatti Grey
Still the top of the radiator is hot, and the bottom of of it is cold, the thermostat isn't opening for some reason (or at least there's no flow through it). Tested the thermostat in a pot of boiling water, it's 100% operating. Explanation seemed to be an air pocket in the cooling system, seemed to make sense.

Latest symptom is the, coolant reservoir is now over pressurized and blowing the reservoir cap. Has to be the head gasket, or head.

Last year when I did my restoration and I replaced the core plug, I ran into an issue. After replacing the plug, I checked it by pressure testing the system. No leaks, but the truck sat, pressurized for a couple months. When I went to start it... hydraulic lock up in #1. Removed the glow plug, cleared it out, and life went on as normal. However I knew that the gasket or head has a very small leak, and it would eventually need to be done.

So, it's time, the over blowing reservoir cap tells the story, but I'm still confused as to the no heat issue. What is stopping the coolant flow?

If anyone has experienced their before.... let me know. it's a Landrover thing...

my renovation thread:
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40792.html
Post #610234 18th Mar 2017 6:54am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12