↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > 2.4 Puma with intermittent starting problem – HELP
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Dtm

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Coniston Green
Thanks dorsetsmith, I had seen that there was an immobiliser in/out on the instrument cluster and thought it must process the signal in some way.

Have traced the signal wire through from 10as to instrument cluster -all good, instrument cluster to ECU - all good, have tested the earths from ecu to 10as and to battery, all seem to have a low resistance (0.1-0.3 ohms)

When i test the instrument cluster pin 3 and 4 are not linked when turned off? I guess they are connected once power is connected to the module? Is this correct? If so the fault may well be generated by the instrument clusster not relaying the signal? dose the instrument cluster check for anything b4 relaying the signal?

I think someone with a better computer to read the fault codes may help, but getting the vehcile to someone while it is faulting atm is very unlikely due to the speradic nature of the error. . . Do errors get logged and saved in the computer with a date/time or dose it all just log errors in a list?

Not sure where to take this now . . .
Post #607750 8th Mar 2017 6:59am
Dtm

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Coniston Green
Re: 2.4 Puma with intermittent starting problem – HELP
Now that I am looking at the instrument cluster again, I notice that when I try to start the engine (either when she is working ok or when the fault occurs) the engine warning light flickers when she first turns on? Is this normal? You can see it in the video I originally posted:-

If this is not normal, it could be pointing to a fault in the instrument cluster or function of it....

Let me know if that is normal or not, many thanks and all the advice is greatly received as this problem is a nightmare!
Post #607810 8th Mar 2017 12:21pm
Dieselhead

Mine does this every so often Confused

It could go for weeks & be fine then all of a sudden lets you down. I had it at a petrol station with cars behind me Embarassed

I find that I have to lock & unlock a few times & away it goes again.

A landy fixer mate told me thats had this prob a few times & you have to plug it up & rewrite/flash ECU .

Prob is if you have a remap it wipes it away. Hence why I have not had it done Crying or Very sad Chris

2008 XS 110 2.4 Utility. Tonga Green
1953 Series 1 for restoration
1983 Mini Mayfair
2004 VW T5 Camper
2008 Diahatsu Sirion. Thats hers
Classic Bolens Garden Tractors
Post #608491 10th Mar 2017 9:28pm
stevejhunt

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Cairns Blue
Hi Dtm
Sounds like you have same problem as me. My bus is same as yours - farm spec 2008my 90 Hard Top 2.4Tdci. Has keyed doors and ignition, no immobiliser fob etc etc. Had no bother with it till a flat battery back in December gone. As it was original battery that was changed and then the problem started. Basically I turn key in ignition, it fires and then dies immediately.

Took it to my local LR expert who has been trying to sort it ever since. After much discussion between him and JLR it seems there is a known fault that develops with communication between the 10AS and ECU on the early PUMAs. As I understand what he's telling me it basically immobilises itself everytime I try to start it.

Solution JLR have sold him is a new 10AS and a load of wires to upgrade to the higher wiring spec (complete with key fob) and then a re-programme to get everything talking - which comes in at just shy of £600 for the parts. My man is on with the job and hopes to have me up and running next week although I'm not holding my breath.

After four months of down time tho I hope that he's right. Fingers crossed and I'll let you know outcome next week!

Steve 2008 Defender 90 Hard Top. 2015 Range Rover Evoque SD4 Dynamic.
Post #616267 12th Apr 2017 10:49am
Cuffy

England 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Alpine White
Hi
In searching with info on my starting problem, I found this thread is the same prob I am experiencing but the thread never reached a conclusion
Can anyone help with the outcome
Post #743433 1st Dec 2018 3:39pm
psyla

Australia 
Hi all
did anyone find the cause of this fault, seems to be very common with no real answers, my 07 110 has started doing this and all i can find is that the engine ecm is causing the the engine to stop cranking, fault in harness but more likely a faulty sensor.

what sensors could cause this.
wish it would stop altogether so i could figure it out

Any answers would be appreciated.
Post #807288 23rd Dec 2019 2:59am
Fernando

Argentina 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Bonatti Grey
¿Hilo muerto? Sad
Post #933244 11th Dec 2021 9:46pm
HardCharger

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Did you guys actually replace the ignition switch or were just content with testing and cleaning it? From the first vid posted, it sounds like the problem I had recently and it was definitely the ignition switch. These fail for no apparent reason so if you're buying one, buy another one for cheap insurance!

Start with this before mucking about with the 10AS which can be a pain in the @$$

Good luck
Post #933339 13th Dec 2021 5:13am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I replaced my ignition switch for what appears to be exactly this problem only yesterday. Bloomin' fiddly on a Puma but not impossible. See the details here:

https://www.defender2.net/forum/post933318.html#933318 Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #933344 13th Dec 2021 7:01am
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Well done LRA / Darren

It is indeed fiddly but I now know 'antidotally' that my trusted Independent sees about
1-2 Defenders a month with this type of Intermittent Starting Problem and even if
it isn't the Lucus Ignition Switch they swap it out... (In their view its a case of when not if)
I now carry a Spare (which of course I hope to never need 'out in the field')

For those who find themselves with similar issues (and I learnt via the long route)
I would start with this component... 'change one thing' and see if you get a result... Thumbs Up

My Fix..

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56773...p;start=45 SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #933373 13th Dec 2021 9:47am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12