↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Total loss of drive.....ah well
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Print this entire topic · 
Balvaig

Scotland 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Corris Grey
I would stick with Pickards if you can afford to cover their costs. You trust them and they have done good work for you. Not been able to look at your vehicle until the 24th is ridiculous. Also you do not have the situation of one firm blaming the other.
Get Pickards to photograph their rectification work, especially if they identify faults caused by the dealer.
Not certain of the consumer laws where you are, but I would tell the dealer what you propose, and advise them you will bill them for any faults identified.
Hope you can soon resolve your problems and get back on the road
Post #607186 6th Mar 2017 11:31am
100inch

Australia 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Santorini Black
Sorry to hear of all the dramas you have. I had LR Malvern replacing my input shaft a while ago as work didn't gave me any spare time doing it myself. The stuffed the seal and it leaked. But to their defence I dropped the car and they fixed it at no cost, even dropped it at my wife's work. Hope you get a similar result as well. m
Post #607397 7th Mar 2017 12:02am
YOLO110

Australia 
I would definitely stay with the dealer that has carried out the work.

They have an obligation to make good faulty workmanship and also consequential damage if there is any.

Waiting a few weeks would be worth it IMHO. Or just drive the Defender to the dealer now, book it in with the service manager and leave it there so they can get onto it sooner... YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #607422 7th Mar 2017 2:21am
Balvaig

I would usually agree with Yolo 110 and 100 inch. However the problem here is the amount of other work carried out by a second garage. Proving that the original work on the clutch is faulty is going to be difficult. If the dealer says not our fault, but we will investigate at your cost, then you are in the hands of the dealer. You cannot supervise the work. And you are paying dealer prices if they refuse your claim.
Hence my view that you are better getting the second garage to undertake the investigation and remedial work. If faults are found in the original work then you would expect the dealer to compensate, and you will have independent evidence of the defects.
You have been really unlucky with the amount of problems arising at the same time.
Hope this helps your decision.
Post #607461 7th Mar 2017 9:37am
ozy013

Australia 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Rimini Red
Just another short update.
Yesterday I called Land Rover Australia, I was just trying to get some clarification on a couple of thing before I made a decision in regards to which way to proceed. They thought it may be possible to have another dealer rectify the problems, but because the claim has been made against Melbourne City Land Rover, then it has to go back to them. I just can't wait 3 weeks for them to look at it. They called the dealer trying to get them to book it in earlier, but no luck yet. I now even have a Land Rover Australia Victorian case manager, but they don't seem to have much influence over the dealer.

So this afternoon I spoke with the Victorian Ombudsman, and after that conversation I have booked it in next Friday with Pickards to have the issues sorted. The Ombudsman said that as long as the Independant workshop documents the strip down and takes photos of any poor workmanship, then I will be able to make a claim through them.

My wife is really pressing the point that I should sell the vehicle, It's hard trying to convince her to keep it when all this is going down, especially as I've had to borrow money from a friend to get Pickards to rectify Landrover's stuff ups. I'm out of funds, so after this episode there won't be any other modifications for a long while. That's if I don't have to sell it.

Not in a happy place at the moment.
Post #608110 9th Mar 2017 12:16pm
Balvaig

Tell your good lady that you cannot sell the Defender with the problems unrepaired. When fixed you will have a superb drivetrain which should outlast the rest of the vehicle. Hopefully Pickards will determine the faulty workmanship, and the Ombudsman will take up your case.
Can understand you feeling down given the problems, but as we say over here -Don't let the bs*** get you down Very Happy
Post #608204 9th Mar 2017 8:43pm
ozy013

Thumbs Up
Post #608332 10th Mar 2017 11:02am
ozy013

Finally my car is back on the road, but unfotunatley thats not the end of the saga.

Pickards sorted it last week, and they were shocked by Melbourne City Landrovers lack of care and poor workmanship.

This is part of their report "Removed clutch and flywheel. Cause for vibration; FLYWHEEL NOT MACHINED, flywheel not cleaned, debri found in bell housing, found dirt under clutch and flywheel mating surfaces, bell housing bolts not tight. Also noted exhaust to turbo studs damaged/stipped." They also noted that the transfer case input seal had been damaged, and they discovered silastic around the seal.

So I've had to borrow money to get all this fixed, and now I'm trying to get the money I spent at Melbourne City Landrover back. Pickards have taken photos of Melbourne City Landrovers effort. I'm just waiting for them to be sent via email on Monday.

I called Melbourne City Landrover this week, and yet again got to speak to the same service assistant I've dealt with during this whole saga. I told him the situation, his reply was I should've brought it back to them if it was so severe, and they would've fixed it. I reminded him of our conversation over 3 weeks ago, and that back then I was told it was not possible for my vehicle to be looked at until the Friday just gone, the 24th, they were just too busy. He denied saying that. It was at this stage that I asked to speak to someone higher up, I also enquired if these phone calls are recorded for quality purposes, as that would be very helpful. Apparantley they get deleted regularly.
He kept saying that it was up to them to rectify the issue, and not another workshop, and that he couldn't understand why I would take my vehicle elsewhere. I explained that he should put himself in my shoes, I'd just spent over $2000 at Melbourne City Landrover to get a clutch fitted properly, and they'd botched it, whats to say that they wouldn't do it again, especially since they'd stuffed it so much the first time round.
Several of the bellhousing bolts were just finger tight. Censored

He also accused me of driving my vehicle whilst it was in this condition, further damaging it. Now the Km's on it when it went to Melbourne City Landrover was 97583, when I took it to Pickards to get the vibration fixed it had 97694, as I only drove it home and then back to the workshop. I've been using a hire car and mates to get me to and from work. The transfer case was leaking too much, even when cold, for me to take it anywhere.
So my Defender had done 111km's on the new clutch that Melbourne City Landrover had fitted.

Consumer Affairs have told me to raise the issue with Melbourne City Landrover first, before taking it up with them. So once I get all the photo's together, then I'll head in there sometime next week, apparently I have to speak to Freddy, as he's the head of service and wasn't in when I called this week.

I'd also like to thank everyone for their support and best wishes, I've had quite alot of uplifting PM's, so thank you.

I've also had a couple of messages on AULRO, warning me that one of the service managers of Melbourne City Landrover is active on that forum, and that I should be careful about what I say. I think I've been fair, and quite restrained so far.
Post #612178 26th Mar 2017 1:43am
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
G'Day Ozy,...Not good mate, not good at all.
As far as "being careful" is concerned, IMHO you've been very open & honest, so you should have nothing to fear,....the truth should never hurt anyone.
I wish you a speedy & successful conclusion.
Pickles.
Post #612179 26th Mar 2017 1:56am
Balvaig

Glad to hear that you are now fixed and back on the road.
An inevitable reply from a company that must know it is in the wrong. Keep your cool when you meet next week, present them with copies of the evidence and ask for their written response.
Just keep on at them until you get your money back.
Best wishes
Stephen
Post #612208 26th Mar 2017 9:33am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 5 <12345