↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Battery upgrade advice?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Moles

United Kingdom 
Battery upgrade advice?
Advice please.
How long would you expect a Puma to be able to sit unused between battery charges?
I've suspected my battery has been weak for a while - needs topping up every few weeks if not used, gets low battery warnings when cranking and restarts the stereo etc.
I've a few permantely wired projects I want to fit this year so want to sort the battery first off.

Question is whether to just buy a new equivalent or go for a dual battery setup. Not main and leisure, but dual mains.

Anyone fitted a dual setup and happy they did?

Moles.
Post #607149 6th Mar 2017 6:49am
Balvaig

Scotland 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Corris Grey
All cars fitted with an alarm or immobiliser will eventually drain the battery if not used regularly. A few weeks is not bad going. However if you drain a battery you will cause damage to the battery. I have a permanently wired in CTEK charger for when car is not used regularly.
Which battery or batteries to use will depend on what extras you are adding. Lots of threads on the forum on dual battery set ups.
Post #607166 6th Mar 2017 9:50am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
If plugging it in isn't practical then consider a solar charger. Just make sure that it's connected to the battery rather than the cig. lighter, as that isn't permanently live. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #607168 6th Mar 2017 10:05am
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
You could just fit a battery isolator and turn the battery off when it's not in use, they have a very low self discharge rate.

Failing that it's as above, solar or mains charger. If you have 13 pin towing or twin electrics then you can simply plug the charger into the towing socket.
Post #607200 6th Mar 2017 12:29pm
nickhodgson

I would expect a normal Puma with the genuine LR battery to give you much longer than a couple of weeks. A couple on months should be achievable.

Does yours have the genuine LR battery? The Genuine LR battery is a great battery and will last for a long time if well looked after. I would go for another Genuine LR battery if yours is indeed dying.

Are your battery terminals tight?

What is the voltage at the battery when its been sitting for a while? What is the voltage showing on the battery when the engine is idling? Does turning the lights and fan on make much difference to voltage when the car is idling? 1995 300tdi Defender 90 P/UP
2011 Puma Defender 130 D/C
2000 300tdi Defender 110 P/UP
2015 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE
Post #607216 6th Mar 2017 2:08pm
defender9

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
I had a Puma from new for 8 years and was sometimes out of use for a couple of months due to working abroad with no trickle charge, it lived outside on the drive and it always started first turn.
Post #607226 6th Mar 2017 2:28pm
NinetyTD4

Wales 2012 Defender 90 Other SW Keswick Green
Sounds there is something else bad. Usually a Defender can sit for month without problems. Try to find the bad part of the wiring, did you do anything stupid, or is something broken? Never forget: cars have owner, Landrover have field service personnel.
Post #607240 6th Mar 2017 3:47pm
AWOL

zsd-puma wrote:
If you have 13 pin towing or twin electrics then you can simply plug the charger into the towing socket.

That's exactly what I do, but made a 10m extension cable out of 4mm arctic cable for the 12v side so that the CTEK charger can sit tucked away in garage whilst power runs out to defender via 13 pin. Nice thick cable means no significant voltage drop (around 1/10th what you'd see from 1.25mm cable which would probably be useless for that sort of extension).

Only needed to top it up once. Oddly coincided with the first time the wife drove it. And the lights being left on.

It's more normally used with my other car where a 13 pin trailing socket runs to cigarette lighter (wired using standard ctek cable to pass the door seals) for most of the winter.
Post #607339 6th Mar 2017 9:54pm
zsd-puma

nickhodgson wrote:
I would expect a normal Puma with the genuine LR battery to give you much longer than a couple of weeks. A couple on months should be achievable.

Does yours have the genuine LR battery? The Genuine LR battery is a great battery and will last for a long time if well looked after. I would go for another Genuine LR battery if yours is indeed dying.

Are your battery terminals tight?

What is the voltage at the battery when its been sitting for a while? What is the voltage showing on the battery when the engine is idling? Does turning the lights and fan on make much difference to voltage when the car is idling?

Or a Yuasa one from Halfords, they're cheaper than the LR ones, but have a slightly higher CCA and AH rating. 900/100 rather than 800/90.
Post #607383 6th Mar 2017 11:36pm
zsd-puma

AWOL wrote:
zsd-puma wrote:
If you have 13 pin towing or twin electrics then you can simply plug the charger into the towing socket.

That's exactly what I do, but made a 10m extension cable out of 4mm arctic cable for the 12v side so that the CTEK charger can sit tucked away in garage whilst power runs out to defender via 13 pin. Nice thick cable means no significant voltage drop (around 1/10th what you'd see from 1.25mm cable which would probably be useless for that sort of extension).

Only needed to top it up once. Oddly coincided with the first time the wife drove it. And the lights being left on.

It's more normally used with my other car where a 13 pin trailing socket runs to cigarette lighter (wired using standard ctek cable to pass the door seals) for most of the winter.

I expect a plug and play trailer harness is available for your other car, just fix the socket up behind the bumper somewhere, saves running the cable into the car.
Post #607386 6th Mar 2017 11:38pm
Moles

United Kingdom 
Thanks for the advise.

Funny, I was expected a load of suggestions to go dual battery..... Oh well, I'm going to have to do something.
I'll see if I can get the battery out and tested perhaps.

Cheers,

Steve
Post #607717 7th Mar 2017 11:50pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
A dual battery set up will not solve the problem of a battery drain if the vehicle is left standing; all it will achieve is two flat batteries albeit you theoretically will get twice as long before the vehicles batteries are dead.

Factor in the cost of setting up a dual system and you would be better as suggested purchasing a CTEX smart charger with a quick release attachment wired to your battery. AC chargers of course are only good if you park near an AC power supply.

Solar charger as also suggested are very good, I bought this solar charger from Maplins to keep my battery charged when the Land Rover is not used for a time and I have been very pleased with it especially with the cost £49.99
The solar panel is an amorphous receptor and is ideally suited to the northern European climate to enable the optimum use of daylight hours. It can even operate behind glass. I keep it propped up inside the Defender against the front windscreen.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/13w-solar-briefcase-n00cx For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #607821 8th Mar 2017 2:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1