↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > Change of vehicle
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Tia4

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi SW Cairns Blue
Change of vehicle
Have Been the proud owner of a 300tdi 90 for the last few years but am now thinking I need to change for a more practical car so am thinking of a late disco 2 possibly a 2004 landmark 82000 miles for just under £7000 seen it advertised on auto trader any thoughts?
Post #606926 5th Mar 2017 3:04pm
JAY BOY

Wales 
Ive had a couple over the years and there a great car. It would be a good addition but not a replacement Thumbs Up
Post #606930 5th Mar 2017 3:38pm
Tia4

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi SW Cairns Blue
Unfortunately it can't be an addition? Would have to be a replacement
Post #606934 5th Mar 2017 3:52pm
JAY BOY

Wales 
It looks nice.
I'm not keen on the auto box they put in on that model though. Very capable car and a nice ride.
Things to look out for are:

Rear end rust on the chassis
Suspension bags on the rear.
oil in the wiring loom
ACE system

Good luck with the hunt. Thumbs Up
Post #606935 5th Mar 2017 4:04pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Super alternative to the defender, it is a little like being wafted along in your very own motorised sofa. We actually had an Argyll edition 300tdi D1 and loved it to pieces. Superb motorway cruiser and all rounder. Really wish we had kept it now and I am frequently reminded that it was my idea... Rolling Eyes

Things to be aware of are the usual TD5 engine related issues, plus the Disco variants associated with the rear air suspensions system, traction control and ABS.

Also bare in mind that later D2s did not have a central differential in the transfer box, instead relying on the TC.

Go and see the boat and take a second pair of eyes with you. Do not be ashamed of crawling around underneath and giving it a darned good poke. Discos like that... Thumbs Up
Post #606938 5th Mar 2017 4:07pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
geobloke wrote:
Also bare in mind that later D2s did not have a central differential in the transfer box, instead relying on the TC.

They have the diff, they don't have the diff lock. It is easy to retro-fit, though.
Post #607136 5th Mar 2017 11:55pm
Paulv8

1989 Defender 90 V8 Petrol CSW Alpine White
Ahem, sorry, but they don't all have the diff. it's also impossible to tell by year which ones have it and which don't. Some even have the correct usage sign and transfer knob but the internals are not present in the tbox.

To check you need to 1) check the lever moves side to side or 2) physically reach up round the front of the box and feel for the spigot.

Mostly..... And I say that carefully, 2002 and 2003 cars are most likely to have it missing but it us very very varied.

The air suspension and ace are reliable generally, but age takes its toll and a few faults can creep in. Particularly faults in the ace valve block (leaks).

You really should take a d2 flavoured Nanocom or something with you to interrogate the systems

Overall it's a great car and I miss both of mine. Once soundproofed and tuned by Alive, they are a fantastic car. V8 90...WIP
Post #607156 6th Mar 2017 7:04am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
PaulV8 wrote:
Ahem, sorry, but they don't all have the diff.

They have the diff, they don't have the diff lock.

All Disco 2s have a variant of the LT230 transfer transfer box, and all LT230 transfer boxes have a centre diff. They cannot function without.

A reasonable number of Disco 2 have the difflock fitted with no external operating linkage, these can however be rendered operation by retrofitting a Disco 1 transfer lever and associated linkage. Many Disco 2s (especially around the 2002 era) do not have the locking dog and selectors in the transfer box, but it is possible to retrofit the front output housing and difflock from any LT230 transfer box together with a Disco 1 lever and linkage to upgrade these to a locking CDL.

The genuine Disco 2 transfer lever with CDL linkage is rarer that a hen's tooth and command very high prices (at least, if the seller knows what he's selling). Aftermarket equivalent components of (very) inferior design are available, generally costing around £300 (remeber that is just the lever and cable, not the internals). the most satisfactory option is the Disco 1 lever assembly.
Post #607160 6th Mar 2017 7:58am
VVS210

United Kingdom 
I have had both - sold the D2 & got a D4 a year ago.

Much more room in the D2, more car like, quieter etc. has much more load space too.

As I recall LR emptied the parts bin on the run out D2s so after a period where they didn't have CDL (it was an option) the last of the line had it fitted. Best to check though.

Never had issues with ACE on mine but they do have a habit of chaffing through the power steering pipes & my pump went too at about 90,000 miles. Mine had springs on the back but the airbags can be an issue too - I deliberately bought a 5 seater so it had springs!

Look out for the "three amigos" - traction control, abs & hill descent lights all on at the same time - that means money as the shuttle valve block needs replacing.

Water leaks, sunroof is the normal culprit but on mine it was good and the leak turned out to be a cracked seam joint in the top right corner of the windscreen frame & took a long time to find, requiring the screen to be removed, the seam sealed up & screen refitted.

Rust in the rear chassis, the bend next to the fuel tank, is a common problem but I would hope that D2s still around now are either good or have been repaired. Check the MoT history online using the reg number & see if there were any advisories - if there were then ask the seller for proof repairs have been carried out and not just covered in stone chip etc.

MoT history is also handy to see what other issues have been flagged up & fixed, or not, over the years.

Window regulators also break, usually with a bang as the plastic wheel in the scissor mechanism shatters or the teeth on the on the lifter get worn & break.

Look for signs of head gasket leaking too.

Late model D2s shouldn't suffer from oil in the wiring loom/ECU but always worth a look to be on the safe side.

Other things to look for are the usual steering box leaks, bushes, shock absorbers, etc.

Hope this helps.

Oh, & personally I'd say £7k is on the high side - I paid £8k for my 2003 with 51,000 miles from a (Honda) dealer with a years warranty in 2011... I sold it last year with 107,000 miles for £4k - it was a manual & high spec'd GS.

Cheers.
Post #607162 6th Mar 2017 8:10am
sgilmour

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Arles Blue
I am actually selling my D2 at the moment. Not a 2004 Landmark but a 2002 pre-facelift (more classic LR character if you ask me!) ES spec Auto in Alveston Red with full cream leather interior and with a tad over 142k miles but pulling like a train.

Had loads of work done in my ownership but just getting too expensive for my daily commute now being 90 miles.

Would be happy to accept less than £7k for it too Whistle

Let me know if you're interested and I can send you more details.

Cheers,
SG 1994 Defender 90 300TDi
2002 Disco II ES Td5 Auto (SOLD)
2011 BMW 120d M Sport
2012 Audi A5 Coupe 2.0 TDI (Other halfs)
Post #607210 6th Mar 2017 12:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1