↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > LTB00585 Difficulty Selecting Gears/Poor Gear Shift Quality
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
dilukabey

2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Keswick Green
Cheers agentmulder.
Post #557126 19th Aug 2016 3:43am
Bomber82

Italy 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Zermatt Silver
Thank you MartinK for the very usefull guide!! Matteo
Defender 110 Td4 SE MY 09
Post #570233 12th Oct 2016 10:48am
Strang3rr

Russia 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Santorini Black
Thanks. This helped a bit
Post #582370 3rd Dec 2016 12:24pm
Perth110

Australia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Clunky gear shift
I think this is what I need to do also. Can I ask where the spacers can be obtained from? I'm in Perth, Australia.
Post #606061 2nd Mar 2017 2:42pm
Simon.pl

Poland 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Keswick Green
Has anyone experienced worse shifting AFTER installing those two spacers?
I've done everything as pointed on previous pages.

Removed the gear selector

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Prepared the spacers

Click image to enlarge

Cleaned the stick and other components

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Put new grease all around

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

And after fixing those 13mm screws and than trying to fix those 4 torx, the gear selector becomes very stiff. Unscrewing torx screws helps, but than I have around 2mm gap between the plastic cover and the aluminuim base.

Next try was to tighten the Torx screw first, and than 13mm screws and it is better but still it is far from perfect.

I can't test it with the engine running and pressed clutch as at the moment it's not ready to start yet, but I don't think it is at it should be..

Any idea?
Post #670981 14th Dec 2017 11:59pm
agentmulder

Kuwait 
I remember thinking it was daft design having 4 bolts to clamp the ball joint as there will always be one doing much less work, should just be three. Took a fiddle to get them just right.

Similar logic to why three legged chairs are self stabilising, but four legged aren't...

Edit^^ just realised I already bagged on about this last year Laughing Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #670983 15th Dec 2017 12:14am
Simon.pl

Seems like fourth one is doing too much work in my case Confused
What do you suggest is to play with it while moving the gear stick?
I found the best fitting with the torx screws fixed and than fixing the 13mm while the gearstick was pushed toward the reverse gear direction. But it's still far from perfect.. Evil or Very Mad
Post #671008 15th Dec 2017 9:22am
24heuer

Scotland 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
Great write up.
Probably a stupid question but is it really necessary to remove the diff lock H/L assembly and slacken off all 4 bolts?
Or can it be done by just removing the 2 bolts that get the new bushes?
Or (more than likely) have i completely misunderstood the process? Smile Cheers,
Andy...
Edinburgh, Scotland
http://24heuer.com
Post #684697 7th Feb 2018 3:34am
Simon.pl

If you remove just two screws you won't be able to adjust the position of the assembly and might not be able to insert new bushes.
In my case I was not able to insert them with just two (even three) screws removed, as without the bushes the assebly was moved and holes didn't match. As there is a collar on the new bushes it needs to go into the screw hole and that is why everything must be loose to match it properly. Hope you know what I mean Thumbs Up
Post #684780 7th Feb 2018 4:23pm
24heuer

Scotland 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
understood, thanks Simon Smile Cheers,
Andy...
Edinburgh, Scotland
http://24heuer.com
Post #684781 7th Feb 2018 4:48pm
Charlie Spitfire

France 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tonga Green
Ho hum. The the last few months the gear change has gotten all horrid and notchy. I have difficulty changing from 1st to 2nd when cold and even 3rd is taking a bit of judgement. It was never like this before.

I have changed the clutch fluid. I have changed the gearbox oil with the proper stuff from Land Rover. It's a bit better but not really fixed. Next I was planning on taking the gear stick apart and cleaning and greasing everything.

Now I am not really a mechanic. I am not even an amateur mechanic. If I can balls it up I will. So can someone kindly tell me the best grease to grease a gearstick? Wink I got the spacers so I'll fit them whilst I am at it.

Its a 2008 Defender TDCI with 90,000 on the clock.
Post #722085 7th Aug 2018 9:06pm
Charlie Spitfire

Big Cry Flipping doing my nut in this ....I have the Jeckell and Hyde Land Rover from Hell Twisted Evil

Monday: - not a problem, I do the 'I love you' Land Rover gear changes, nice and slow, easy on the throttle, not a problem..

Tuesday: - OMG absolute PIG to drive, every gear shift from one to six, difficult getting it out of gear, difficult getting it into gear, I am double de-clutching and swearing for all I am worth, it improves a bit after thirty minutes of driving

Wednesday: beautiful sweet as a nut not a care in the world

So far I have changed the clutch fluid. I have checked master and slave cylinders for leaks and there are none, the clutch fluid reservoir fluid remains at the correct level. The clutch pedal is 143mm from the floor the recommended is distance 140 mm, simple to adjust but surely it cant be this. The clutch pedal depresses about an inch before it engages and it engages firmly without sponginess. I have removed the gearstick added the recommended spacers greased with LITHIUM grease the ball and the arm thingy as best I could. I have changed the gearbox oil for the expensive Land Rover Castrol stuff. No potato.

I live in rural France. The nearest Land Rover mechanic is an hour away and is on holiday till September and is usually too busy to see me. If I take it the local Renault garage they will do it but really I have to tell them what to do. The thing is I don't have enough experience to know what is wrong. Is it internal to the clutch or is it the gearbox itself ? How can I tell ? My next best guess is to change the clutch for a 2.2 clutch replacement kit from Ashcroft and ask the Renault garage to do it. But I would feel more confident in doing this if I knew exactly what was wrong.

I rang Ashcroft and Mr Ashcroft is away on holiday. So I am looking for a Land Rover good Samaritan to guide me.
Post #723548 15th Aug 2018 9:16am
Gonarezhou

South Africa 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Alaska White
What was the result? Pilot bearing failure?
Post #732458 2nd Oct 2018 2:17pm
Charlie Spitfire

I called ASHCROFT. They told me that on a 2008 Defender that springs on the clutch plate were weak and that these clutches had a tendancy to drag. The recommended that I buy a new stronger clutch plate, a new pilot release bearing and the various gubbins to fit it all together. I then waited six weeks until my French Land Rover mechanic had gotten back from his summer holidays and could fit me in. He replaced the clutch, and all the bits as recommended by ASHCROFT, re-checked the hydraulics, changed the oil, changed the filters and lubed the prop shafts. The result has been a dramatic improvement. Interestingly enough when I handed the mechanic the keys the 1st thing he did was open the box of parts and locate the pilot bearing ! What does the pilot bearing do ?
Post #732461 2nd Oct 2018 2:53pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I have only just come across this thread due to being discussed in another's thread.
I missed it at the time and currently have access to this area by chance with the matting out the way already.
The annoying gearstick weight rattle has came back a little too which I will cure but I'm just wondering if this would be worthwhile me doing this mod too as I don't think this has been done on mine.

I think the classic clip on 'tripod' thing is broken on mine from memory, I have no idea how as I certainly didn't do it.
Does anyone know the P/N for this piece?

My gear changes seem fine, I find the gearstick when in gear seems a bit loose and waggles about a little bit forward and back but not side to side.
It likely needs lubing again anyway, would I be right in thinking that these bolts may have became a little loose?
Or possibly wear on the Nylon ball instead of both?

It seemed to start when I had issues with my prop UJ's when the trans was being shifted about and vibrating when a UJ was failing.
Since it's been better now I've done the UJ's etc but it's still there, so wondering if the fixings are a little loose.
It could be coincidence of course.

I must lube all the linkages too whilst at it as suggested by Blackwolf. Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #754675 29th Jan 2019 12:01am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>