↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > rear seat
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
xcentric

rear seat
Have a 200td with standard 5 seats, and now fitting a 6th in the front.

Occasionally need 7 seats - how easy is it to fit a side bench seat in the rear? It'd not be too nice for the passenger as there's a dog guard across, but for the odd journey.....

Is it just a matter of sourcing seat, seat belt and fitting?
Post #604845 25th Feb 2017 8:55pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Essentially yes but there are issues. Firstly, a bench seat won't really give you another seat - it's just not big enough. Secondly, you'd need a third seat belt on that side, which is not straightforward as it'd have to overlap with the existing two. And finally, I'm not sure that it'd be legal or insurable, as the vehicle was never designed for seven passengers.

The benches in the old 12-seat 109 station wagons were longer than those in the corresponding swb versions as the load bed is slightly longer. I doubt that they had seat belts at all though. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #604848 25th Feb 2017 9:06pm
xcentric

it's a 110 - and so different versions did have rear bench seats..... CSW etc.? nothing particularly different there, I don't think? lap belts only, I know.....
Post #604873 25th Feb 2017 11:46pm
Ramsay

Scotland 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Auto Keswick Green
So it is a station wagon. It had back seats? Could of been 10 or 12 seats do you know which? You can fit bench seats with lap belts. What are your licence classes can you drive a 12 seater? Don't forget to inform your insurance.
Or would the forward facing seats that Exmoor do be of any interest. 1995 Defender 110 CSW
1971 SIIA Lightweight
Post #604876 26th Feb 2017 12:05am
LandRoverAnorak

Ah, I thought you had a 90 for some reason and that you were counting up passenger seats Confused It'd help to include your vehicle details in your profile.

In that case, it's quite easy to fit a bench seat as it and the associated lap belts just bolt through the wheel arches with spreader plates below. Later models had a dedicated bar behind the seats for the belts to fix to that was attached to the chassis, but if yours has never had that set up then adding it would be quite involved.

As Ramsay says, check your licence for any restrictions on the number of seats in a vehicle that you can drive. Depends when you passed your test. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Post #604893 26th Feb 2017 8:07am
xcentric

updated profile, as far as i can.

It's a Camel Trophy Defender. Am plenty old enough that I can drive 12 seater, but just want to add the extra one in the back for very occasional use..... thanks for the info on where the belts attach. Are there holes through the tub already, or do I create those, do you know (I think I have to drill them)> Does anyone make a bench seat that's only 1 person long? If it was to be used a lot I'd go for the forward facing Exmoor one, but it's very very rate usage - so maybe I'll just make up a lightly padded squab and backrest and attach the belts.....
Post #604902 26th Feb 2017 8:47am
gcc130

You can get individual folding station wagon seats, check out Exmoor or eBay.
Post #604906 26th Feb 2017 8:59am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Be worth checking with your insurer first, a lot of them have aversions to side-facing seats for some reason.

Yours should have had them originally, so there may be holes under the carpet. However if not it's just a case of offering the seats up and drilling through, taking care to miss the strengtheners underneath. Big spreader plates underneath for the seat fixings and seat belt fixings too. Ideally the latter would be bracketed down to the chassis somehow.
Post #604908 26th Feb 2017 9:05am
xcentric

wouldn't have thought tying the body to the chassis is a good idea..... but I agree it needs large spreader plates. Might chat to my local indy.....

(no such thing as carpet in the interior of mine - it was an ambulance for the event originally.....
Post #604951 26th Feb 2017 2:04pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Eh?

How would joining the chassis and the body be a bad idea?
Post #604954 26th Feb 2017 2:24pm
xcentric

cos the whole point of the separate chassis and body is to allow movement between the two - attaching them at non-standard points isn't likely to end well, as the inherent flex will fatigue the attachments.....
Post #604987 26th Feb 2017 5:29pm
LandRoverAnorak

Attaching the body to the chassis for rear seat belts became the standard approach on later vehicles - I think TD5 onwards. It's really not a problem. Darren

Post #604995 26th Feb 2017 5:48pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
xcentric wrote:
cos the whole point of the separate chassis and body is to allow movement between the two - attaching them at non-standard points isn't likely to end well, as the inherent flex will fatigue the attachments.....

You should have a look under the car, it's already firmly attached at numerous points.

I have seen aluminium bodywork fractured around the standard mounts, but corrosion is far more likely to be a problem long before it happens - unless you're doing rallies or off-road racing.

As above, standard factory mounts include brackets down to chassis.
Post #605098 26th Feb 2017 9:08pm
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
Is there a kit (Glyn Lewis?) that uses a rear dickie seat from a disco one to go in the back of a station wagon?

Keith
Post #605128 26th Feb 2017 9:52pm
LandRoverAnorak

Yeah, there is. It's a neat conversion but finding a decent set of Disco 1 dickie seats is getting a bit hard these days. Even the newest is already 18 years old. Darren

Post #605130 26th Feb 2017 9:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>