Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
zsd-puma wrote:
Martin wrote:
Bear in mind that lots of our Defenders are still under factory warranty

If you have a look at the T&C's for the factory warranty it says any VAT registered garage can service it. Manufacturers were restricted from forcing you to use their workshops under EU block exemption rules.

I'm well aware of the block exemption; I was responding to the comment "it's so easy to service at home". Not applicable for a Defender under warranty.

My Td5 is home-serviced with Mann or Mahle filters.

My Puma is dealer serviced as there are warranty issues to sort and it suits me to have it all done under one roof at the moment, particularly as I ring around the dealers and get the lowest price matched.

I have 8 or so months warranty left, and will re-evaluate once that expires.  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #603940 22nd Feb 2017 4:35pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
xtr2turbo

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
One thing I have found is that many of the dealers now have a central call point for service bookings and they are just giving out the menu pricing.

If you actually call in and speak to the guys at the service desk they have much more leeway.

Last week I saved £125 by this approach. It does annoy me that it is like this but seems to be the way of the world with Landrover Dealerships

I think they really are shooting themselves in the foot with these inflated prices.

I was loosely thinking of a Disco5 to replace the Disco 4 I recently sold but would want a service pack at a sensible price.

David
Post #603945 22nd Feb 2017 5:01pm
Fat Cog

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Had mine serviced (& all my previous Defenders) at EH Douglas Wardington...first class, do everything by the book, use LR parts, enter your service on the OSH, have been going for donkeys years & even used to source brand new Defenders, what they don't know about Land Rovers isn't worth knowing & the 1st service on my 2016 XS was £350 cheaper than the main dealer...repeat £350 cheaper...and Ive never once had it questioned by the main dealer when returning for warranty issues.

Main dealers (thats the service department) I find to be charming, polite and a pleasure to deal with but I cannot even begin to understand how they can justify the prices they charge, its staggering and Im amazed that people are prepared to pay triple of what a good, reputable and accountable indie will charge. Since 1973...S1, Air Portable's, Defender's, but only my Wolf TUL HS GS remains
Post #603989 22nd Feb 2017 7:43pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Martin wrote:
zsd-puma wrote:
Martin wrote:
Bear in mind that lots of our Defenders are still under factory warranty

If you have a look at the T&C's for the factory warranty it says any VAT registered garage can service it. Manufacturers were restricted from forcing you to use their workshops under EU block exemption rules.

I'm well aware of the block exemption; I was responding to the comment "it's so easy to service at home". Not applicable for a Defender under warranty.

My Td5 is home-serviced with Mann or Mahle filters.

My Puma is dealer serviced as there are warranty issues to sort and it suits me to have it all done under one roof at the moment, particularly as I ring around the dealers and get the lowest price matched.

I have 8 or so months warranty left, and will re-evaluate once that expires.

Sorry i misunderstood.

I used Mann filters on my Range Rover, i was impressed that the oil filter came with a sump washer included.
Post #604015 22nd Feb 2017 8:46pm
dashed

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Stornoway Grey
Fat Cog wrote:

Main dealers (thats the service department) I find to be charming, polite and a pleasure to deal with but I cannot even begin to understand how they can justify the prices they charge, its staggering and Im amazed that people are prepared to pay triple of what a good, reputable and accountable indie will charge.

Have to agree with this - my local dealership has been outstanding at sorting a couple of minor warranty issues, including one case where they were awaiting a part and brought the car back to me as I had a service booked with an indy. They re-collected the car a couple of days later once i'd had it serviced!

But as Fat Cog says, I just can't see the justification for the crazy prices they charge for servicing.
Post #604045 22nd Feb 2017 9:56pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Even a 2nd year service was not triple what a indy was looking at for the same, I think that might be a slight exaggeration Laughing Wink  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #604053 22nd Feb 2017 10:14pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dashed

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Stornoway Grey
2nd year service from a couple of dealers in Manchester was quoted as £771.31 or £779.00 incl VAT. Independent was £302 inc VAT. So only 2.6x in my case Shocked
Post #604102 23rd Feb 2017 8:15am
Riverboy

2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
OK so just been to my local JLR main dealer this morning to collect the Freelander and whilst there I booked my Defender in for its first service (just over 11,000 kilometers on the clock)

450 Euro (380 quid)

Thumbs Up Very Happy

The Freelander full service was just over 500 Euro.

Looks like it would be cheaper for you guys to hop on a ferry and have it done over here Whistle

Then I tripped over a stupid bollard as I was leaving and hurt my ribs badly. In bloody agony now Big Cry
Post #604154 23rd Feb 2017 12:24pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
^^ There are no-win, no-fee lawyers for that sort of thing! Rolling with laughter
Post #604160 23rd Feb 2017 12:41pm
Riverboy

The thought did pass my mind! Twisted Evil maybe a free service instead? Very Happy
Post #604162 23rd Feb 2017 12:44pm
xpertoftheseas

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
datcullen wrote:
Hmm - is this Westovers in Salisbury?

Ours will need a similar service in the next month so very interested as to what you end up doing... do please let us know.

It is indeed Westover. I caled R&E Land Rover (top guys... Would recommend them to any LR owner as they used to look after my older L322) for an "indy" price and they were at £570. So I called Westover back and they dropped to £675. This time I am taking the Westover route due to the warranty and only bring £100 off the indy price. They are also lending me a car for the day so it makes my life easier.

Booked in for next Friday. My 10th Land Rover, but my first Defender.
Post #604668 25th Feb 2017 1:10am
datcullen

2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Java Black
Excellent - thanks for the update. 110 UW - '15 2.2
90 - '85 V8 soft-top
RRC - '84 5 door, Option Pack C, 33k miles from new
---
Elise S1 - '00 Millennium SE
Elan +2 - '68 kit built by my dad
Panda 4x4 - '87 in Italy
Post #604682 25th Feb 2017 8:20am
Riverboy

Just had my first service done today by my local French JLR concessionaire at 11,335 kilometres.

Oils, filters etc etc One filter doesn't need changing this time they said, so honest as well Thumbs Up

Total: 361.87 Euro (312 in pounds)

Thumbs Up

I think some of you guys in the UK are being royaly ripped orf. Rolling Eyes
Post #606463 3rd Mar 2017 4:30pm
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
I'm off to Ripon LR tomorrow, or whatever they're called now, for the second service @ 2yrs old. The quoted price was £602 inc vat and the brake fluid change. I didn't think that was too bad given some of the other prices mentioned on here.

So, take off the vat and another £100 for parts and fluids and that leaves about £400 for 3.5 hours work!
Probably the last time.
Post #606533 3rd Mar 2017 7:52pm
Farmerben

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
Just had my 2nd service (1st major) done at Listers Hereford. Expensive? Hell yes - looked at the labour charge £130/hour! My OH is a GP so I know not even doctors get paid that much for working weekends!

But that's not what bothered me. They sorted a few warranty issues and did a "free" health check. In fact they were so efficient that they thought my NS wiper was perished (2 month old Bosch Aero) and changed it for a Land Rover part - so now I have 2 different wipers. The worst thing is there was nothing wrong with the Bosch and the new one clears the screen less efficiently! Have asked them to rummage around in their bin - I want it back. https://instagram.com/bentheoandrews
Post #607863 8th Mar 2017 4:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>