↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Spare wheel Carrier
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
CDN38

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 SW Bonatti Grey
I considered feeding these 2 bolts backwards... My OCD just wouldn't let me do it.

Even if you could manage to get the 2 bolts through from the front, it could be an issue fitting a ratchet driver with the hex head socket. Probably have to use an actual allen key. it's a Landrover thing...

my renovation thread:
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40792.html
Post #603491 21st Feb 2017 1:24am
CDN38

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 SW Bonatti Grey
Does make the PERFECT opportunity to re-paint the rear cross member and make it look all nice and clean Laughing

Click image to enlarge
 it's a Landrover thing...

my renovation thread:
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40792.html
Post #603492 21st Feb 2017 1:31am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I imagine that the Nakatanenga carrier doesn't fit if you have a tailgate rather than a door?

Out of interest, does anyone have a photo of one with a wheel on it in the open position but with the rear door shut, photographed from a point directly behing the vehicle? I would be interested to see the position of the wheel in relation to the rear of the vehicle.

I suspect that for my application (DC with tailgate and IW canopy) none of the off-the-shelf carriers work. I have modified my Sonic3d carrier to fit, but I have to say that I have never found a powdercoated product which rusts as readily as it does. A stainless carrier has many attractions!
Post #603541 21st Feb 2017 10:29am
RustyM

England 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Hi Blackwolf,

Nakatanenga also do a version for your needs, have look http://www.4x4overlander.com/product/nakat...ckups-bpc/
Thumbs Up 90 & Wolf
110 XS
Previously owned SI SII SIIa SIII & Light weight (air portable)
Post #603545 21st Feb 2017 10:54am
blackwolf

Thanks, I actually just spotted thst on Brendan's website myself. Thumbs Up

I would need to see one in the flesh, as it were, since it isn't clear whether the wheel can be set far enough out from the vehicle to clear the corner of the IW flap when open (this is the usual problem with such carriers and IW canopies). The top right photo bleow the main one shows what is likely to be a problem.

I'll have to get to a show and see one!

I do have some ideas for the perfect IW/tailgate carrier design myself, but doubt I'll ever get round to making it.
Post #603565 21st Feb 2017 12:50pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
We do not have a tailgate fitted to any of our vehicles.

However Alex has one fitted to his 90 soft top. If you let me know height of canopy hinge and depth of flap we might be able to work out if it will work or not.

Brendan
Post #603600 21st Feb 2017 2:09pm
blackwolf

Thanks Brendan.

Referring to Photo 4/9 on your webpage ( http://www.4x4overlander.com/product/nakat...ckups-bpc/ ), i.e., the photo showing a 90 with the carrier open and the tailgate open, the face of the tyre nearest the camera would have to be outboard of the right hand body capping.

In other words it would hace to be possible to put a long straight-edge along the RH body capping sticking out to the rear of the vehicle without it touching the spare tyre.

I can see that the top piece of the carrier is bolted to the swinging arm and is slotted to allow adjustment for different offsets and tyre profiles, so it might just have enough adjustment to do the job.

Incidentally, what is the largest diameter of tyre the carrier can take before (presumably) the tyre hits the rear lights when opened?
Post #603610 21st Feb 2017 2:37pm
Harrygf

United Kingdom 
blackwolf wrote:
I imagine that the Nakatanenga carrier doesn't fit if you have a tailgate rather than a door?

I am in the process of converting my csw to a soft top and adding a swing tailgate. So will get pics up when I am done! Little bit of modding but I don't see any reason why it couldn't work..
Post #603685 21st Feb 2017 6:33pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Nakatanenga do a wide range of wheel carriers including one for a Defender pick up with a drop down tailgate. Wheel carriers for a drop down tailgate are a two stage operation, open the wheel carrier then drop down the tailgate.

If the pickup as a side opening half door then the standard Nakatanenga wheel carrier will work as a one stage operation. Open the door and will carrier opens at the same time.

Please be aware that there are proper half doors with a smooth outer skin. If converting a drop down tailgate to a side hung door then this has a central rib rather then a flat outer skin. In this case you will need to make some form of spacers to packout the difference between the tailgate and the flat back plate of the wheel carrier.

Brendan
Post #603741 21st Feb 2017 9:14pm
datcullen

2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Java Black
leeds wrote:

Will try and find out what bikes can also be attached. Skis will not be an issue. Please remember to use an extension lighting board if bikes obstruct number plates and lights.

Brendan

Thumbs Up Thanks Brendan - would be really good to know 110 UW - '15 2.2
90 - '85 V8 soft-top
RRC - '84 5 door, Option Pack C, 33k miles from new
---
Elise S1 - '00 Millennium SE
Elan +2 - '68 kit built by my dad
Panda 4x4 - '87 in Italy
Post #603852 22nd Feb 2017 9:39am
leeds

United Kingdom 
BW, I had a quick look today. The IW canopy are basically at the same height as Defender roof. If you have the full width flap I can not see any swing away wheel carrier working with it.

With full width flap you would need the wheel carrier to swing wide of the body line. Alternative is for a wheel carrier to be able to lower the tyre as well.

I do not know of any wheel carrier which will sort the full width canopy. Possible solution 3/4 flap and a fixed offside panel??

Dat, have not managed to ask about how many bikes will go onto carrier. Have managed to answer other queries today along with doing normal business:lol: Laughing

Might need to prod me though.

Brendan
Post #603985 22nd Feb 2017 7:29pm
blackwolf

Brendan, many thanks for your research, you have come to the same conclusion as I did.

The only carriers I have yet seen that work are the Mantec(?) Style with the pivots right on the outer corners, which I discount on the grounds of inadequate strength, the need to drill the body, and their general nastiness!

The Sonic3d/Allisport carrier works well with two simple modifications (one to allow it to open wider, and one to raise the wheel about a foot and move it onto the centreline) but is let down by the poor quality powder coat and the propensity to rust (at least my early one does, though later ones may be better). The mods have two further advantages, namely that the wheel is so high it doesn't interfere with any towing equipment, and being mounted centrally, the wheel looks better, but it is quite a lift on or off.

I will take a few photos sometime, at the moment this is the only one I have uploaded:

Click image to enlarge

I do have a cunning design of my own in my head, one day I might actually build a prototype. It would be a no-drill mount suitable for 90 or 110 with tailgate, with or without a full-width canopy-flap.
Post #604070 22nd Feb 2017 11:01pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
datcullen wrote:
........ I'm also thinking that the Nakatanenga is the way to go. ...

One question though - I'm looking to add a spare wheel mounted bike / ski carrier
with a single arm carrier such as the Naka-whatsit?

We only ever carry a max of 2 bikes - 1 MTB and 1 kids or 3 pairs of skis so not a huge weight.

TIA
Beau

Have spoken to the oracle

Max weight on the Nakatanenga wheel carrier.

Road use 150 kg

Off road 75 kg

Hardcore off road 40kg

Not sure what is weight of MTB these days say 20kg and 10kg for a kids bike

Please remember lighting board if brake/indicators are obscured.

Now this is gut feeling rather then actual knowledge. Is there any advantage of webbing straps to top of rear door/roof rack?

Brendan
Post #604226 23rd Feb 2017 4:50pm
ppad

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
I splashed the cash on a Nakatanenga a couple of years ago and it's good.
If you sub contract the fitting, make sure the chaps understand how it works ... that is, the slider plate bolted to the chassis needs to make contact with the wheel carrier on closing. If it doesn't then clearly the load is not being transferred to chassis. Sounds obvious but my fitter left a small gap, allowing wheel+door to bounce around. Whistle
Once corrrectly installed, simply works nicely for me.

As to bike carriers, I needed one to bolt an ebike to the back on final departure from .ch
The wheel is now too outstanding to use tow ball mounted ones.

So strap on it was.
Just followed manufacturer instructions for strap on bike carrier. Didn't put webbing up to top of door but did add a few extra straps to the Nakatanenga. Just belt and braces for 1000 km drive to new home. All good. Sold the much modified 110 2.8, in Oz
Brought the 90 home from Switzerland ...
Post #604325 23rd Feb 2017 8:39pm
datcullen

2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Java Black
Brendan,

Many thanks Thumbs Up for the udpates on mounting bikes to the Naka single pivot - missed your posts at the time.

ppad - did / do you have the Fabri Gringo or another that straps to the wheel?

TIA
Beau 110 UW - '15 2.2
90 - '85 V8 soft-top
RRC - '84 5 door, Option Pack C, 33k miles from new
---
Elise S1 - '00 Millennium SE
Elan +2 - '68 kit built by my dad
Panda 4x4 - '87 in Italy
Post #608422 10th Mar 2017 5:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>