↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Rusty screw recessed into plastic, any ideas?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
jr1104

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Rioja Red
Rusty screw recessed into plastic, any ideas?
I have pair of OEM front spot lights that I don't use, and am planning on selling on. Before doing that, I wanted to open them up and give them a clean/refurb. However, one of the screws is refusing to come out!

For those that have seen the spotlights, these are small crosshead screws, recessed deep in the plastic moulding of the light housing. I've tried various screwdriver types, with various amounts of force, and soaking it in WD-40, but nothing is getting the screw to turn...

I'd rather not risk damaging the plastic so haven't tried drilling it out, and wanted to see if anyone had any other good ideas?

Thanks!
Post #598341 1st Feb 2017 8:28pm
L110CDL

England 
Does the screw turn or seized in ? 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #598400 1st Feb 2017 10:16pm
NormanD

England 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
Used these once or twice, useful tool - https://www.amazon.ca/SpeedOut-Damaged-Scr...B00IRL3WP4 NormanD WE191

2015 110 XS Utility
2014 VW Caravelle 180 Executive
Post #598405 1st Feb 2017 10:23pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Have not tried this myself but am wondering if you pop them into a normal domestic freezer for a couple of hours and see if the different thermal contraction rates would help.

Another idea is a freezer spray with a pipe type noozle aimed at the head of the screw.

Again not tried it but might be worth considering.

Brendan
Post #598408 1st Feb 2017 10:28pm
jr1104

It doesn't seem to be turning, but I can't tell if that's just because there is no purchase on the screw head.

Freezing is an interesting idea! I'll make some space in the freezer, and give that a try... If that doesn't work then a screw extractor might be the only way.

Thanks for your help
Post #598417 1st Feb 2017 10:47pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
A word of caution, not knowing the plastic that your light is moulded from, there is what is known as a glass transition temperature. For most good quality thermoplastic has a Tg below -20C. Domestic freezer are normally set for about -18c.

Please do NOT drop the light on removal from the freezer as there is a possibility it might be brittle and fracture if dropped

Brendan
Post #598438 1st Feb 2017 11:19pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Could you not cut the head off with a small grinder, relatively quickly would build up sod all heat.
Then unscrew what is left with pliers or similar.

Depends very much on access and situation though. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #598447 2nd Feb 2017 12:05am
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
I suspect that when these lights were made no pilot hole was made in the receiving piece for the thread and the screws were driven in and the thread and plastic have welded together. You could try and tighten the screw slightly to break the weld then unscrew I have had success with this method in the past. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #598538 2nd Feb 2017 11:58am
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hello jr1104

I have found that it is best to absolutely use the best fitting screwdriver / socket etc on the first attempt to undo anything, that said if the heads of these screws are 'past their best' then you may be too late, if recessed and they won't (really won't) budge then grinding them out with a dremel is a possible option, then try to extract the remain screw...very difficult if embedded into plastic.

One idea that just may work...try a really good penetrating oil...thinner than WD40...Plusgas for example,
leave overnight, find that 'best fitting screwdriver' that really fits the head and don't undo but try to do these up
very slightly...there is a fair chance that the tightening face of the screw is good...unless some 'Muppet' used a powered tool with the torque setting too high and 'rattled' these home. If the screw moves at all...relax and then try to back it out, has worked for me occasionally

Good Luck SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #598561 2nd Feb 2017 1:09pm
jr1104

Well, looks like this might be beyond help. I've tried getting the best fit of screwdriver, but there is no head to use. I've tried getting a screw extractor in, but the screw is too deep.

I'm at the point now where either the casing gets drilled out, or I give up and they go back in the shed to rust further...

Some photos to give an idea of how inaccessible the screw is:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Thanks for everyone's help so far!
Post #599698 6th Feb 2017 9:52pm
Mash

Guernsey 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Nato Green
How round are the heads? One trick is to get some plastic wrapper (sandwich bag ish) thickness and place it over the drivers head, this can sometimes give you just enough additional grip. Also have you tried tightening the screw first? I know both ideas sound mad but they do work and I have successfully used them when all other options have been used up. 90 wolf - Jasmin http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic39408.html
90 V8 - Maggie http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic42564.html
110 TD5 - Buggsy http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic59029.html
52HG25 lightweight https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic72342.html
D3 Hse - Fiona
Capri 2l S - Anna

Think I might have a problem............
Post #599716 6th Feb 2017 10:20pm
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hello jr1104

These are probably my last suggestions. If the screws are into plastic then there is a chance that if heated
carefully, they would loosen (melt) the boss into which there are currently fixed. The screws may be fixed
into a screwed insert heat welded into the case of the Spot Lights. I'm assuming that this is the normal
way in to replace any defective bulb.

Placing a Soldering Iron on the Screw Head, will transfer heat through the Screw and progressively heat
the area currently 'locked'...It may just give you the 'freeing action' needed. You could...'accelerate' this
process, by using a Micro Blow Torch (carefully)...these are very 'targeted' and could deliver just what you
need.

Or you could be one step closer to scrapping these...Maybe worth a try with an Iron to test this... Question

The Iron bit would need to sit right in the Screw Head

My Micro Torch can be backed off to give a 'needle like' flame
(far less than this graphically enhanced illustration)

Good Luck SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #599772 7th Feb 2017 9:45am
Rup90

United Kingdom 
I had the same issue with some Safari lamps. In the end I used a 3mm drill and cut the head off. You need to be very precise and try not to let it slip out as it will soon cut through the plastic. Once the head has been removed from the remainder of the screw you made need a very thin screwdriver to prise the unit apart. Risky but worked for me.
Post #599773 7th Feb 2017 9:56am
jr1104

Just wanted to say a final thanks to everyone for the help. Rup90's suggestion ended up being the one that worked, a bit of careful drill work and it came apart! Just need to get the remainder of the screw out the hole now...
Post #602426 16th Feb 2017 10:39pm
L110CDL

England 
Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #602457 16th Feb 2017 11:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1