Home > Puma (Tdci) > Puma vcv relearn and Engine pilot relearn
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
dilukabey

2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Keswick Green
Puma vcv relearn and Engine pilot relearn
Hi,
I was recommended by the supplier to buy this to do the vcv fuel pump relearn and engine pilot relearn. Has anybody got any feedback on this product? Please find the link below. Cheers.

http://www.jlridssddmongoose.com/sdd-sympt...v138-v131/
Post #601710 14th Feb 2017 9:16am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I know nothing about this tool nor the supplier, however the following line from the advertisement you linked to rings a very loud alarm bell for me:-

"IDS was used by Jaguar dealerships for vehicles manufactured pre-2005. Land Rover also used IDS however the interface we can only supply will only work with the Jaguar side of IDS"

Perhaps I am missing something, since the advertisement is very confusing and I cannot figure out what it is that you actually get.

Other tools which are known to work are available (although perhaps not in your part of the world).
Post #601713 14th Feb 2017 9:35am
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
It's a pirate copy.

I had one of those "Mangoose" leads for my X-Type, it didn't work. So i ended up buying a genuine "Mongoose" lead from Drewtech's UK distributor (there're about £400 as i remember, just for the lead).

The software you can subscribe to quite legitimately from JLR's Topix site - it's not cheap mind you. I think you can do it for a Day, Week, Month or Year depending on your need.

When i sold my X-type, i sold the Mongoose cable to pay for an IID tool, i actually think the IID tool is a far better and userfriendly tool.

RE: IDS - this was Ford's old diagnostic system, which Jaguar also used. After 2005 it was replaced with SDD, SDD was then updated to support Land-Rover's when JLR was formed. IDS is basically to Jaguar what Testbook is to Land-Rover. Rather than have 3 different diagnostic systems in JLR dealerships they moved everything over to SDD. But Testbook/IDS is still needed for some legacy models.
Post #601736 14th Feb 2017 11:02am
dilukabey

2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Keswick Green
Many thanks for Blackwolf and zsd-puma for the feedback.
So as you suggest don't want to pay that much money and end up with nothing.

Since I only need to perform vcv and engine pilot relearn, what would be the cheapest way to do this by my self?

As blackwolf stated, what are the other available tools that I have as I guess there should not be any problem of courrier it to my country.
Post #601757 14th Feb 2017 12:30pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
The cheapest way would be to go to a land Rover dealer and have them do the relearn, even for an hour or half hour labour charge it'll be cheaper than buying a diagnostic tool.

But then diagnostic tools offer the best long term value for money, if you do a lot of work on your car. I've got an IID tool, as i had one for my previoue L322.
Post #601769 14th Feb 2017 1:00pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
If I could only have one, it would currently be the IID tool.
Post #601832 14th Feb 2017 6:13pm
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Alternatively, of you've ever been tempted by a remap, look at the BAS RR2 which is an IID with restricted functionality. But critically, it has the two functions you require.

Oh, and a remap for free Thumbs Up Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #601840 14th Feb 2017 6:46pm
ampstp

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
You can download Forscan for windows free and provided you have a USB interface to obd2, I.e. wired, not Bluetooth, you can carry out all fuel pump relearn and injector pilot trims in a step by step process and also injector recoding and all advanced workshop functions if necessary on the Tdci engine. I have no affiliation to Forscan but was very grateful to find this solution when my volume control valve failed. Forscan will report the engine and ecu build as the transit variant, which it is.

All I could find on this site was people wanting to sell me remapping tools at 400quid plus, my defender cost me 30 quid for a new volume control valve and this free software.
Post #771461 4th May 2019 8:34am
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Good to know, sounds like the ideal solution Thumbs Up Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #771466 4th May 2019 9:00am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1