Home > Td5 > 2.2 or old 2.5
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Tompoole

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Java Black
Td5 for me. Not just because it's a better engine in my experience but stronger
Running gear too diffs gearbox clutch.
As for PSA and ford engines, they are the same as the PSA 2.2 engine was a joint project with ford, just dressed
Differently . Have fun be happy
Post #599484 6th Feb 2017 9:27am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
My first post on here, but i've been lurking for a while.

But no the Defender TDCI engine is completely different to the FL2 engine.

The FL2 uses the DW12 engine, which was originally designed by PSA. However PSA then got into a joint venture with Ford for diesel engines. So the 2.2 DW12 engine found it's way into the mk4 Mondeo as well as other products and was from that point on jointly redeveloped with Ford, but it was originally a PSA design.

The Defender uses the ZSD "Puma" engine which was originally designed by Ford for the Transit and Mk3 Mondeo. With PSA's joint venture the ZSD engine found it's way into some PSA products (the Citroen Relay/Peugeot Boxer) but it was originally purely a Ford design.

They're completely unrelated engines, the Puma engine is chain driven vs. the DW12 engine being belt driven for example. Nothing of any significance is interchangeable between the two engines.

A friend of mine has a TD5 engined 110 and i have a 2.4 Puma engined 110. Really they're both good engines. The reason i went for the Puma engine is because you get so much more with it, the vehicle interior is so much better in the 2007 on vehicles. And you can't really fit the later dash in an earlier car. Some have done it but you have to butcher the bottom of the dash because the gearsticks are further forward on a TD5, it looks a right dogs dinner. The puma engine is also much more refined in terms of quietness, don't get me wrong the TD5 sounds great but it soon gets boring on a long trip. Plus with the Puma you also get a 6 speed gearbox instead of a 5 speed.

Which engine is better has been going on since the series 1. Back in the early 90's everyone was saying the NA2.5 diesel was better than the turbo version, then the 2.5 turbo was better than the 200tdi, then 200tdi was better than the 300tdi, then there are still people who will tell you a 300tdi is better than a TD5 and so on...
Post #601469 13th Feb 2017 3:40pm
Clive

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 X-Tech LE Zambezi Silver
Well there you go, thanks for the info on the TDCI vs FL2 engines, I will consider myself better educated now Thumbs Up
Post #601472 13th Feb 2017 3:48pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
It doesn't help that manufacturers use their own brands on them. So a PSA HDI engine in a Mondeo is branded TDCI and a Ford TDCI engine in a Citroen is an HDI.

the 1.4 and 1.6HDi/TDCi 'Lion' was i think the first engine to be wholly joint developed by Ford/PSA. You find it in Volvos, peugeots, Citroens, BMW Minis, Fords and i think it even ended up in a Toyota. The rest of the TDCi/HDi lumps were either legacy Ford designs or Legacy PSA designs. The 2.7 and 3ltr TDV6 in the Discovery was also found in the Citroen C6.

The Puma lump as used in the Defender found it's way into the Ford Ranger 2, Transit, Mondeo 3, TX2 London Cab, LDV Convoy, Jaguar X-type, Citroen Relay, Peugeot boxer and some Fiat Ducato's.
Post #601475 13th Feb 2017 4:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12