↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > I have a rattle! **SOLVED**
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
cinstone

England 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Keswick Green
Err, miles, err....about 35k or so.

Yes there's been problems, all compounded by the stealer. Still got the rattling gear stick under load, but, touch wood (my head) nowt serious as yet.

On our trip to the Isle of Man my girlfriend said that "Michael had never let us down", well apart from the EGR playing up last year, which didn't cause any problems as such and the Derby dealer sorted under warranty before we left for hol's, which was great cuz' it got me out of most of a meeting Very Happy! Now she's mentioned it and I've posted it, I'm bound to tempt fate.

Still, he did me proud on the off road course at Billing, where I drove both green and red routes, except for the deeper water crossing at the side of the lake and the mud bath. All on General Grabber TR's.

Chris. http://shropshirelandrovers.freeforums.org

2015 Defender 90 XS SW & Helen, 1964 IIa. Previously 2012 Defender 90 XS SW & 2008 90 XS SW.

Previous LR's: Michael, my 2008 Defender 90 XS SW.

Machinas oportet intrare non capsicum annuum faveo
Post #80919 19th Jul 2011 12:02am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
I'd be happy with that for 35,000 miles Thumbs Up Will look at doing something with my EGR maybe once it's out of warranty! Or carry a spare Whistle Easy to swap on a SAAB not so sure about a TDCi Confused
Post #80945 19th Jul 2011 8:54am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
lrMike

Greece 
What tape or other material would you recommend to put around some hoses and cables into the engine bay to eliminate all the rattling while there is contact between them and other parts of the engine bay?

Just wondering...

Mike.
Post #116472 18th Jan 2012 2:59pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
bob neville wrote:
2. Even though the seats are fixed, they have the ability to be folded down if you undo the retaining brackets at the back. The swabs are released by a pull handle that unlatches a claw from a bar. This can squeak.

One thing to be aware of before you start undoing brackets attached to the seat backs, they can be pain in the proverbial to get back in - I always spent many a happy hour trying to get them fitted again...

I can't see any reason why thes seats need to be bolted back anyway. One of the first mods I made to my DC was to remove these brackets so I can tip the seats, and now I have easy access to a huge, otherwise wasted, storage area. The seats latch properly into place without the brackets and are just as secure as the SW or UW seats.

I have an untraced rattle on mine though, which has defeated all efforts to track it down. It sounds for all the world as though the fitting at the upper mounting of the driver's seat belt is rattling - a fairly substantial metallic rattle that seems to be coming from the vicinity of my right ear. However there's nothing loose on or around the B post, and I have even had the headlining out to see if a spanner has been left in the cant rail! Can't find the source though!
Post #116505 18th Jan 2012 5:18pm
puma110

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
[quote="blackwolf"]
I have an untraced rattle on mine though, which has defeated all efforts to track it down. It sounds for all the world as though the fitting at the upper mounting of the driver's seat belt is rattling - a fairly substantial metallic rattle that seems to be coming from the vicinity of my right ear. However there's nothing loose on or around the B post, and I have even had the headlining out to see if a spanner has been left in the cant rail! Can't find the source though![/quote]

Hi Blackwolf, If it's the same rattle as mine, and it sounds like it may be, mine actually comes from the drivers door latch. The latch that is fixed to the pillar where the door latches onto has a small plastic tube on it that is now slightly scratched and loose on mine. This causes a rattle when i drive. The way i temporarilly fix mine at the moment is just open the door, spin the little plastic tube around 180degrees and close the door and all is good. Not a real permanent fix but it does the job for the time being.

Cheers,
Chris
Post #116621 18th Jan 2012 10:30pm
llessur

United Kingdom 
I would just like to confirm the above.
For weeks I had a rattle at ear height - presumed from B pillar but could not find a thing. I even wedged matchsticks in the rear glass in case it was that rattling. By accident I openned the door, closed it and it disappeared. So now, I just open the door and slam it and the rattle stops. Seems crazy though as the door latch is at waist height and the noise sounds like its at ear height.
I can put up with most rattles - even the wife
Post #116789 19th Jan 2012 4:57pm
Lorryman100

blackwolf wrote:

I have an untraced rattle on mine though, which has defeated all efforts to track it down. It sounds for all the world as though the fitting at the upper mounting of the driver's seat belt is rattling - a fairly substantial metallic rattle that seems to be coming from the vicinity of my right ear. However there's nothing loose on or around the B post, and I have even had the headlining out to see if a spanner has been left in the cant rail! Can't find the source though!

Just a thought as sound travels, have you checked the window regulator bolts are tight?

Click image to enlarge

Brian.
Post #116797 19th Jan 2012 5:20pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Are those the bolts that cause the window to fall out if they are lose?
Post #116809 19th Jan 2012 6:33pm
Lorryman100

Yes they are Zag. I had a rattle in the pillar and it turned out this was the cause of it, as it did not reoccur after I loctited them.

Brian.
Post #116815 19th Jan 2012 6:50pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Thumbs Up Loctite - good idea.
Post #116816 19th Jan 2012 6:50pm
Lorryman100

Loctite 243, medium strength threadlock. Thumbs Up
Post #116819 19th Jan 2012 6:56pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
If they rattle at least it should give you some warning before the windows fall out - hopefully Neutral
Post #116820 19th Jan 2012 7:00pm
Milesg

United Kingdom 
I had a rattle that sounded like it was coming from door frame of passenger front side. Turned out to be all the repair equipment stored under the seat in the battery compartment. Cushioned it all and taped down including the clip holding the cover over space. Sorted it!
Post #601404 13th Feb 2017 9:54am
Nitroneil

Scotland 
Post reserection, totally gobsmacked. On dcpu i had a fair amount of squeeking and just general noise from door pillar area, rear doors. I removed side step runners and fitted a pair of fold down steps to froont doors, went to work today and all quiet! It seems the added support of step bar running in to chassis each side has helped stiffen things up. Also i thought I had a rattle behind dash at passenger side, turned out it was clip missing on wheel spat.
Post #766466 1st Apr 2019 10:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12