↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Side/main dash light not working and some side lights off
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
RED-DOT

Scotland 
If you cannot find a 2"X1" grey multiplug hanging under the OSR wing i doubt you will ever find a simple short in a huge loom therefore i would advise an auto electrician look at it. I stand by my original diagnosis of a mullered trailer socket. 2008 RS4 gone, 123d M Sport, and a Puma 90 XS..
Post #586743 21st Dec 2016 3:46pm
johnnyd

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Its finding the time while daylight thats the issue for me ATM, OK update as of today, i spent yesterday hose piping the back end down to clean it and I managed to find this multi plug and disconnect the trailer loom, the plug was clean and dry and in good condition, I had to cut it to extract it from the vehicle so its no good anymore Sad I went for a drive this morning and the same thing happened, side lights worked ok for about 5 minutes, and the fuse has blown again Evil or Very Mad

Its the same fuse as the Registration plate bulbs, but they are dry also, although one bulb has gone.

Does anyone know if this circuit has any other bulbs/devices on it apart from half the side lights and the registration lights, also where any other potential weak points might now be? Its fuse F18 thats blowing

Thanks

JD 2008 TDCi 2.4 XS CSW
Post #588944 31st Dec 2016 2:07pm
johnnyd

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
OK finally solved, and it took me some finding let me tell you........I found a wire with a tag on it not connected to anything, but lurking around near a relay with other connectors, I moved it out of the way and into the open and the problem has gone, so I am guessing it was making contact with some of those other wires and causing a short. See the pic below.....

There is a black relay behind the white connection that the stray wire was touching, I am guessing that relay is lighting? the truck has been fitted with two extra spots at the front, maybe something to do with that?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6abznb1dfj0o3w7/IMG_0038.JPG?dl=0

JD 2008 TDCi 2.4 XS CSW
Post #601170 12th Feb 2017 1:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12