Home > Td5 > TD5 Fault Code Advice. (3,5) DRIVER DEMAND PROBLEM 1
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Re: TD5 Fault Code Advice. (3,5) DRIVER DEMAND PROBLEM 1
geobloke wrote:
Will TDCI pedals work on a TD5 as they are much cheaper. Look similar too from what I can see.

Ok answering my own question and for future referrence. It appears the TD5 and TDCI throttle pedals are indeed different enough to have their own part numbers;

TD5: LR031386
TDCI: LR030043

Whether that means they are indeed different or not I do not know.
Post #594407 19th Jan 2017 2:06pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
dorsetsmith wrote:
Not the oil in the plug problem ?

Definitely not... Clean as a whistle I will have you know...! Oil in the wiring harness, perposterous and whatever next Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Post #594408 19th Jan 2017 2:08pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
derbywill wrote:
I would check the wiring or just rewire the pedal to the ECU as the wiring can also give problems!

Will

Disco_Mikey wrote:
As above. Wiring issue between the ECU and pedal

As a temporary repair, it can be programmed to a 2 track pedal Thumbs Up

Yes... in the deepest recesses of my mind I know this is what I am going to have to do. I hear trailer wire is the accepted way to go... I am sure I have seen the correct AMP plug on ebay recently too. Moderately cheap fix if it works...
Post #594409 19th Jan 2017 2:12pm
dorsetsmith

geobloke wrote:
dorsetsmith wrote:
Not the oil in the plug problem ?

Definitely not... Clean as a whistle I will have you know...! Oil in the wiring harness, perposterous and whatever next Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

OK
Post #594417 19th Jan 2017 2:19pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Yes, I can hear that "OK" is laced with experience and doubt dorsetsmith... Laughing
Post #594420 19th Jan 2017 2:22pm
dorsetsmith

Experience yes had it with my 2003 HT 90 I luck got to it in time only misfire problem but have seen it cores all sorts of problem
Post #594443 19th Jan 2017 3:20pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
For sure and what a appalling flaw to have in a vehicle. Sometimes you really have to wonder about manufacturers. I too have also sufferred from missfires, injector failure and more recently ECU death (capacitor gave up the ghost).

But... As my grandad used to say "We soldier on"... But I still love the old Gal Thumbs Up
Post #594468 19th Jan 2017 4:37pm
achuakh

Singapore 2002 Defender 90 Td5 SW Oslo Blue
The driver demand error can be caused be a few possibilities from my own experience.

1. You have a bad spot on the throttle pedal caused by wear and tear. So if you hold it at that spot, the voltage fluctuates and it cases the ecu to reference the look up table of the throttle position vs the engine rpm and then it say hmmm, something doesn't tally and throws this error.

2. You mentioned you have a remap, you will need to check if the remap is causing this. Flash the ecu back to the original and if it goes away, it's the map. Again, if you have more than just the "torque curve" and the fuel injection timing adjusted, something might be out of range when you boot it suddenly causing the error in the look up reference in the "torque curve" table. You will need a nanocom or similar to do this and understand how the remap works to cure this. If you accelerate gently usually this error will not surface. From the land of the most expensive land rover defenders on planet earth. At �125k for a XS 110 csw and you get to own it only for 10yrs! Please find me a good reason to stay on this island.
Post #596744 27th Jan 2017 3:51pm
achuakh

What is the ecu part number you have? NNN00020 or NNN00120
I'm suspecting that it's the remap.

I've loaded my map which has one column less in the torque curve table onto a later tune ecu and it throws out all the other errors like what you have.

Tune is part of the original code on the ecu
Map is the variables which you change.

This is what I understand as I'm not a professional tuner, but I've played with writing my own maps. From the land of the most expensive land rover defenders on planet earth. At �125k for a XS 110 csw and you get to own it only for 10yrs! Please find me a good reason to stay on this island.
Post #596747 27th Jan 2017 4:03pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
HI Achuaka. Thanks for the the super info. I have tried to test the pedal in vehicle this afternoon with the Nanocom and these are the results;

Click image to enlarge

This was conducted at Pos.2 on the key, engine off.

Initially (between 00:00 and 00:40) I slowly depressed the pedal and equally slowly released the pedal giving the gentle slopes. Then a series of faster on/off cycles between 02:00 and 02:35. Slow cycles again. Then whilst in the up position (04:00 onwards) I wiggled the pedal from side to side and repeated when the pedal was fully depressed. As you can see there is some fluctuation in the voltages when the pedal is moved laterally. Whether this is normal, consistent with wear and tear of a pedal that has done 170k miles or not I have no idea, but it is the only non-normal readings I could get whilst doing this static test.

The only other "odd" occurence of note is that whilst I was doing this test injectors 2,3 and 4 all exhibited spikes whereas injectors 1 and 2 did not. Odd... anyone noticed this before?

Click image to enlarge

Opinions? views?
Post #597036 28th Jan 2017 7:21pm
achuakh

Seems like the accelerator pedal is ok.
You should get like a huge spike if the tracks on the pedal is worn out. That is the thing that will make the ecu say something is not right. However, when the engine is running it can also be a case of bad ground where it due to the prince of darkness living in your car.

Have you tried to put the map back to default to see if this goes away? From the land of the most expensive land rover defenders on planet earth. At �125k for a XS 110 csw and you get to own it only for 10yrs! Please find me a good reason to stay on this island.
Post #597164 29th Jan 2017 3:18am
8RAV

United Kingdom 
I Have had a very similar fault on my defender too. Just as a quick fix run a temporary single lead from negative battery terminal to ecu earth post under drivers seat.Take it for a drive and see if it cures the issue if it does you can easily put a more permanent fead across. Made a hell of a difference to the way my defender drove and felt and throttle problem has never come back.
Post #599729 6th Feb 2017 10:46pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Hi 8RAV good suggestion thanks. Will give it a go Thumbs Up
Post #599732 6th Feb 2017 11:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12