↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Rosco's Montalcino 110
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 12 <123 456 ... 101112>
Print this entire topic · 
Rosco

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Had a day off today, but spent a large part of it waiting for the nipper to wake up so we could go out, so used the time to go and see if I could plan how to wire in the scenelite.

One thing led to another and before I knew it there I was applying some off cuts of dynamat to the seat box lids, including a bit of trimming round the label on the drivers side.

Click image to enlarge

Still need to figure out how I'm wiring in the scenelite Rolling Eyes 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
2002 - Black Discovery II - Gone
2014 - Montalcino Red 110 XS SW

Last edited by Rosco on 1st Aug 2017 1:41pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #551967 28th Jul 2016 7:57pm
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
I kept it simple and within legality here. The Scenelight can not be wired up as an additional reverse light which automatically would come on when selecting reverse. Still wanted to use it at night for reversing though.
So simply wired it up as a work light, but with the ON/OFF button placed next to the steering wheel so that it is within easy reach when needed. At the right hand side of the steering column is an existing unused round hole covered up with a rubber bung. Mudstuff offer a ON/OFF button which perfectly fits this hole. It lights up bright red when in the ON position, so not much risk that I forget to turn it off when selecting forward again. The wires run behind the cover of the A-frame, then above the headlining. You don't see anything at all. Simples. Few pics below.
Eric

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 You never actually own a Defender. You merely look after it for the next generation.
http://youtu.be/yVRlSsJwD0o
https://youtu.be/vmPr3oTHndg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GtzTT9Pdl0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABqKPz28e6A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLZ49Jce_n0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvAsz_ilQYU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8tMHiX9lSw
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dxwjPuHIV7I
https://vimeo.com/201482507
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSixqL0iyHw
Post #552053 29th Jul 2016 5:09am
Rosco

Eric, it was your pictures that convinced me the scenelite was the lamp I was looking for, so I was going to plagiarise your idea for the switch in the steering cowl. Only issue after all these years, LR finally got round to producing a cowl without the rubber bung in place of the choke! Just means I'll have to drill a hole in the cowl to fit it.

Can I ask where you took your power from? And the earth? 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
Post #552075 29th Jul 2016 8:12am
Rosco

So yesterday I had the opportunity to start fitting my Scenelite. As I was only expecting an hour of tinkering time I started by fitting the busbar to the battery. For ease I've chosen the Bluesea 5024 mount kit from Mobile Center (great service Thumbs Up )

Click image to enlarge

I had to fashion my own T-bolt as no one seems to be able to provide a longer one, and no chance of squeezing this on to the original negative terminal. Thankfully a supplier I use sent me an M6 bolt to cut down, but it does mean now I've got a 10mm nut as well as the original 13mm nut on the stud

Click image to enlarge

Still had tinker time so I took the interior trim off, removed the rear washer and sized up where the light would fit. The original plan of using the existing hole for the washer to pass the wiring through soon went west as the lip of the gutter round the door fouled it. Oh well, blanked off the original hole and moved it up a bit. It was at this point I realised I didn't have a drill bit big enough, so gave my brother a call. He popped round with his kids, so we threw all the kids in the back garden and went out the front to tinker a bit more.

Click image to enlarge

I left him to drill the holes. I'd hate to have been responsible for ruining his drill bit Whistle

After much soul searching I decided to reposition the rear washer jet to the top left corner of the door. I've never used the washer or the rear wiper, as with the kids seats I can barely see the rear glass, but it would make my teeth itch having a switch on the dash that didn't work.

Any way whilst I spent the next 2 hours trailing the cable from the battery across to the steering column then up the A pillar and along the head lining/trims to the back, my brother got started soldering the connectors on and cutting the dash cowl for the switch.

Click image to enlarge

Didn't manage to get a pic of him working again, as I was too busy cursing as I tried to find a route behind the dash (you can just see it running up the A pillar, but its hidden once the door is shut), but we did manage to wire the switch so it illuminates as it should

Click image to enlarge

Anyway after a couple of hours I wasn't expecting to have, the light is fitted and wired in and washer jet re-positioned

Click image to enlarge

To be fair without my brothers help I'd still be scratching my head at parts Bow down but I think he was happy to hand over babysitting duties for a couple of hours. Now I just need to wait for the replacement fir tree clips to arrive and I'll refit the interior trim, but tempted to bite the bullet and strip the rest of the headlining out to dynamat the roof.

Final test I suppose has to be how good is the light. Couldn't get out last night after it got dark enough, but a quick before and after shot

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Serious amount of light. Cant wait to get out and put it to good use. Thumbs Up 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone

Last edited by Rosco on 1st Aug 2017 1:48pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #554336 7th Aug 2016 9:26pm
Darcy Fairfax

England 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Nice job Thumbs Up
Post #554357 7th Aug 2016 10:38pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
I did the same except I took the power from the trailer supply in the rear and used a remote control switch to save running wires around the truck. And moved the washer jets to the same place.

Great lights!!

Post #554385 8th Aug 2016 6:24am
Rosco

Ok, its been a little while since I last updated this although not much has happened.

Scenelite has been a fantastic addition and the light output is amazing.

Just the standard reverse light

Click image to enlarge

Scenelite

Click image to enlarge

If your considering it, don't! Just do it! Thumbs Up

What else have I done? Joined in on an excellently run green laning trip with Merlin from this here parish, but it was late by the time I got back that night, and I couldnt bear the thought of seeing the scratches I'd picked up (it was tighter in places than I'd of liked Shocked ) so I didnt clean it the immediately. Looked very out of place (even more than usual) amongst the Audis, etc in the works car park

Click image to enlarge

Luckily we had a week down Cornwall shortly after so I had the chance of a couple of days polishing to try and remove the majority of the marks

Click image to enlarge

It was gleaming at one point honest Whistle

She's had a trip down South and had the full Zagato treatment, which gave the opportunity for an adventure across the capital for the nipper. He was good as gold, even though he pulled the window rubber out on the Virgin train on the way down to collect her the following week.

She's been for her 2nd/24k service, and given a clean bill of health. All the bolts/fixings that are starting to show signs of corrosion, have been agreed with the stealer to leave for the next 12 months, then address just before the warranty runs out. They did give me the Tangerine Dream as a courtesy car for the day.

Click image to enlarge

Nice, but for the money I'd go for the Disco 4, and I definitely wouldn't have a petrol one. Struggled to make 20mpg Shocked

And lastly, last Friday, I had the day off, so admitted to myself I'm not going to get round to dynamatting the roof anytime soon, so put the rear trim back in I'd taken out to fit the scenelite, plus finally fitted the rear quarter bumpers I bought a couple of months back

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The bolts I'd ordered wouldn't fit through the inner top mounting hole, so currently only on with 3 fixings, but at least they will offer some protection from minor knocks. Still undecided whether to re-fit the anti-slip tape. Currently swaying to the leave it off viewpoint. 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone

Last edited by Rosco on 1st Aug 2017 1:57pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #579664 22nd Nov 2016 2:47pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Merlin leads a great day out green laning doesn't he!

I like the antislip tape fitted (I bought mine of a forum member which had it on already)

Click image to enlarge
 James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #579680 22nd Nov 2016 3:55pm
Chris86

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 USW Chawton White
Scratches
Hello,

I have recently seen an event with some very shiny, very new vehicles that involved some fairly heavy offroading through some very scratchy/tight trees/gorse/heather.

The organisers had gone to the trouble of having the vehicles all wrapped in very abrasion resistant clear vinyl wrap to protect the paintwork- which worked very successfully- the only issues with the vinyl were caused by 'grazes' on the lower, leading edges of the front bumpers cause by coming into direct contact with the odd stone or the edge of a waffle board- and in those cases it probably saved damage to the paint!

I am not sure who the provider of the wrap was sadly but I was rather impressed with the performance of it.

Chris
Post #579700 22nd Nov 2016 6:39pm
Rosco

JOW, there was anti slip there originally, but the shot blasting stripped it off when I had them re-powder coated. I can see the benefit of having it there with a roof rack/bars but as I don't have those it's not a top priority right now.

And yes Merlins days out are great. Although the cake also provided might be clouding my judgement Whistle

Chris, I like the idea of vinyl wrap and I know one of the Low Rangers did it on his (Lee I think). Might look into it a little more as I've booked to join JST and co on their February Wales laning trip and plan to do more too as the opportunity presents itself, including your Scottish trip. Thumbs Up 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
Post #579733 22nd Nov 2016 9:03pm
Rosco

So having had to top the water up in the header tank Thursday/Friday last week I've been keeping an eye on it just in case. It's been fine all weekend pottering about, yesterday on the commute to work, I noticed the temperature gauge not making it quite to its usual half way point. Left it to cool, and checked the header tank again at lunch. Still full, it must just be me I thought.

Journey home, same thing, then stopping in the crawling traffic, temp gauge has dropped right down. This morning, it's cold but nothing too Siberian, but heater didn't get up to temperature, and gauge barely moved. Once defrosted, call to the stealers, who swiftly passed me to JLR customer services. Couple of hours later, Simon from JLR Assistance turns up and diagnosed possible faulty thermostat. No issue with driving it, only you'll have no heater.

Long story short, Simon has kindly arranged a replacement vehicle, which will be dropped off tomorrow. Plus side, he's leap frogged me to the front of the queue, downside, it's happened on the eve of the coldest night of the year and I've still got my commute to do in the morning.

Best dig out my down jacket and woolly hat Laughing 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
Post #581415 29th Nov 2016 9:11pm
Rosco

About time I did a little update.

The replacement vehicle from LR Assistance turned up as promised, although I mocked the thin designer jacket being worn by the service manager, and advised him to dig out something thicker to wear for his drive, I've got to admire his dedication to customer service, dropping the vehicle out, after hours to save me the drive. I've got to be honest the discovery, although not the first time I've had one as a courtesy car, it did turn my head more than a little.

Click image to enlarge

OK, the colour wasn't really wowwing me, but after a couple of days it grew on me, although I must have seen a dozen identical ones.

The real selling point was the rear media system,which the kids loved

Click image to enlarge

Although, they tended to shout at each other alot. Rolling Eyes

Any way a few days later the defender was returned, complete with working heater, but it would appear that we now might not be able to turn it off hot. But there's a reason for it to go back when the weather improves, and recieve a free valet.

After seeing recommendations on here for the Nextbase 312GW i've picked one up for a decent price at Halfords, so having run around for a week or so with it running from the lighter socket, this morning I've mostly fitted the hard wire kit.

Originally I was going to run the cables back to the battery, but wanting a simple switch live connection, and not over complicating the task, I stuck with the piggy back fuse that come with the kit. Finding a suitable earth was easy enough, getting to it was slightly more difficult, but 20 minutes later, cable routed up the A pillar, connections made and all working as it should Thumbs Up

Only issue now, I was hoping that there would be enough slack/movement between the front edge of the head lining and the windscreen rubber. Alas I would struggle to get a cigarette paper between them, so unless anyone has any other suggestions, I think it'll be a case of running a drop of glue on the back the cable to tuck it out the way.

Other irons in the fire, I purchased the bonnet security hinges from Bob Neville, over the festive period, and now currently trying to decide whether to leave them in the black finish, or colour match to the car.
Finally got round to picked up a set of Gwyn Lewis mudshields and want to get them fitted in advance of the greenlaning and social weekend with JST and TJ101.
And the under cubby locker from Greeni, and would be good to get a CB fitted for the weekend too, but we'll see how the funds look. But finding the time to get them all done is a bit thin on the ground. 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone

Last edited by Rosco on 2nd Aug 2017 8:49pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #595036 21st Jan 2017 7:02pm
Rosco

Only hours after my last post on this thread, my Dads treasured 90 was taken by some unmentionables. Evil or Very Mad

Click image to enlarge

Needless to say its made me think a little more about my own vehicle security, so some purchases have been made, to help keep hold of my own pride and joy.

I'll not divulge too much, put the one item i did invest in was a pedal lock from Brendan.

Click image to enlarge

Simple enough to use, and small enough to tuck out the way when travelling Thumbs Up

Yesterday took the day off work for some much needed tinker time, in readiness for the green laning weekend in a couple of weeks time. Thankfully I had the benefit of some space inside my mates workshop so I could avoid the worst of the inclement weather, but spending a day scrabbling around on a concrete floor is never comfortable.

So list of jobs tackled yesterday

First up , fit new wiper blades. Simple enough, although this ended up being the last task I actually did.

Second task was fitting the Gwyn Lewis mudshields.

Front before

Click image to enlarge

Front After (albeit the opposite side)

Click image to enlarge

Rear front before

Click image to enlarge

And after

Click image to enlarge

And finally the rear rears, but only after

Click image to enlarge

The front and the front rears, took less than 1 1/2 - 2hrs to fit. The rears, probably took the at least an hour each. A right sod to do, mainly because of the rear stay bar as mine in a 7 seater, but also because your fighting around the filler neck on side and the exhaust the other. Not a job I'd relish doing again, but its amazing how much muck is caught in the nooks and cranny's, of which there are loads.

Another job thats been on the list for ages was reinforcing the mud flap fixing point, so whilst the wheel was off and I had my head in the wheel arch.

Take one piece of angle

Click image to enlarge

Cut in two and add a 6mm hole (far enough from the back edge to fit the nut back on Embarassed )

Click image to enlarge

And hey presto one reinforcing plate.

Job number 4, was the 2nd row door extenders. Thought Id' grab these whilst making the other purchase from Brendan

Click image to enlarge

Compared to the original

Click image to enlarge

And once fitted

Click image to enlarge

Door opens just that little bit further, but makes loads of difference. Ok so the crap that's all over the floor is still in the way, but you get the idea.

Final job for the day was to fit the under-ride protection bar I bought from Tonyrec back in March 15. Its been sat round my mates house out the way until yesterday, when I finally unwrapped the packaging.

Click image to enlarge

Just the job i thought, look smashing that. Alas, its not to be as I can't have jate rings and the under bar, so I'll stick that in the for sale section soon. Doh! Rolling Eyes

Thats it for now, whilst I mull over the idea of fitting a CB, now that i have the under safe box from Greeni (and still need to fit). Cobra 75, or Midland 42 handheld? 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone

Last edited by Rosco on 2nd Aug 2017 9:36pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #598268 1st Feb 2017 2:53pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Sorry to hear about your Dad's 90, have you posted it on Landy Watch on Facebook? Might help...

I've got some Dirt-D-Fenders to fit so will do the rear mud flap mod at same time. Sounds like you learnt from experience, I'll ensure I can get me nuts on! Shocked

I hope you put your bumperettes back on before fitting the Gwyn Lewis rear rears?

I've borrowed one of Merlins Midland portable CB's and they seem ideal for occasional use. I've just bought a CB yesterday off a FB landy page, £20 for CB and aerial, thought worth a punt. James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #598275 1st Feb 2017 3:38pm
Rosco

Yes bumperettes, still in place. Thankfully they didnt need to come off, just the two fixings going through the rear stay bar pushed out far enough to release the bar.

Thinking about it, the top of the stay bar looks like its a rust trap waiting to happen!! Rolling Eyes

As for CB's I've used Merlins Midland handheld as well, and it was a nifty bit of kit, although it tended to operate my wipers as well Laughing

I've not got facebook, but I'm sure SWMBO will happily join such pages for me. 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
Post #598287 1st Feb 2017 4:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 12 <123 456 ... 101112>