↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Safari-Equip Spare Wheel Carrier - Fitting Guide
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Surrey Rover

Safari-Equip Spare Wheel Carrier - Fitting Guide
Having bought a Safari Equipe spare wheel carrier, I thought I would post a quick how to guide for installing it. Why, because when I opened the box it came without any instructions Confused

A quick scan of the internet for the instructions revealed none, but I did discover that I wasn't alone in lacking instructions. Hopefully this post will help someone in the future or prompt SE to shove the instructions in the box for future customers!

I apologies up front, it is an idiots guide or "a guide for visual people" but the more advanced members won't mind as they won't need the advice will they Whistle

You will need:

A 13mm spanner and socket,
A 19mm spanner and socket (or two 19mm spanners will do)
A drill with a 9MM bit
A round file (because the bolts will not fit through the brackets or didn't in my case Rolling Eyes)
About two hours of your time
And finally three standard wheel nuts as none are supplied. As a FYI LR sell 3 steel nuts for £5.10

I am very happy with the quality of the carrier, clearly I have no experience of this long term but it is exactly what I wanted, it's easy to operate and will hopefully stand the test of time.

Step 1:

Check the contents of the box. Inside you will see the carrier (bit obvious if this is missing) and the following components

Click image to enlarge

Step 2:

Remove any light guard from the O/S, the small reflector and the two hex screws that attach the rear to the body shown here

Click image to enlarge

Step 3:

Start with the bottom bracket using the supplied bracket as shown in the picture below. This bracket sits in a pre-determined position as it uses the thread from the hex bolts. Position the bracket the body using two of the supplied bolts, tighten the thread up but do not tighten fully as you need some movement to align the carrier.

Click image to enlarge

Step 4 :

Fit the bracket to the wheel carrier as show below so that you can offer up the carrier to the tailgate.

Click image to enlarge

Step 5 :

Offer up the carrier to the tailgate, this involves attaching the carrier to the bottom bracket using the supplied bolt. Once you are happy with the position and it opens and closes smoothly, open the carrier and tighten the one visable bolt in the bottom bracket. Once tight recheck the position, adjust if needed, then completely remove the carrier from the bottom bracket and tailgate. Once removed tighten the second bolt, attach the nuts to the bolts and re-tighten. Next re-attach the carrier to the tailgate and bottom bracket using the supplied bolt (don't bother attaching the securing nut just yet)

Your carrier should now like something like this

Click image to enlarge

Step 6 :

Now using the top bracket offer this up to the carrier and attach via the supplied bolt (don't bother attaching the securing nut just yet) push the bracket to the body and holding this in place with your hand/a clamp/or a helpers hand open the tailgate and check for smooth operation. If happy, using the bracket as the template drill through the tub and then secure the bracket with the supplied bolt/s. Nip tight this bolt and check the tailgate again for a smooth operation. If happy tighten fully and remove the carrier from the tailgate and brackets.

Next drill through the remaining holes and secure in place using the supplied bolts and strengthening plate for the top bracket, your carrier should now look like this

Click image to enlarge

If your wondering what the goo is coming from the bolts it's Duralac, I put this on all the bolts going through the body just to be on the safe side.

Step 7 :

Offer the carrier up to the tailgate and brackets and secure in place with the supplied bolts and washers. Assuming nothing has moved and no adjustment is needed fit your spare wheel/Hi-Lift Jack (model dependant Wink ) and admire the beauty of your work.

Click image to enlarge

The eagle eyed will notice i didn't fit the check strap, this is because I have an Ifor top and when connected it will not allow the rear mesh tailgate on the Ifor to close.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Nick

2.2 110 Tipper
Post #99999 14th Nov 2011 11:44pm
BigRuss

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Good work Thumbs Up Russell
2011MY 110 XS USW Black
Post #100001 15th Nov 2011 12:01am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
You'll need the reflector come MOT time...  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #100003 15th Nov 2011 12:06am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Surrey Rover

Martin wrote:
You'll need the reflector come MOT time...

Good job I didn't chuck it in the bin Shocked Nick

2.2 110 Tipper
Post #100004 15th Nov 2011 12:08am
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
A thinner stick-on one from a Puma, but mounted vertically might suit Smile  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #100005 15th Nov 2011 12:10am
leeds

United Kingdom 
Hi Nick

Thanks for that a big Thumbs Up Bow down

Wonder where you got it from Whistle Whistle

Martin is right about the reflector. If you turn it through 90 degrees it should just about go back on. You just need 2 reflectors they do not have to match side to side.

The one on our red 110 has been on for 100,000 miles plus and has seen a bit of use. Just grease all the nipples at service time.

Brendan
Post #100010 15th Nov 2011 12:23am
Surrey Rover

No worries Brendan, thanks for a great service and getting it Galvanised and powder coated. Nick

2.2 110 Tipper
Post #100013 15th Nov 2011 12:35am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Martin wrote:
A thinner stick-on one from a Puma, but mounted vertically might suit Smile

However remember that it is a legal requirement that the reflectors are a matched pair, ie the same size and mounted in the same positions on each side of the vehicle. So if you do fit a Puma reflector vertically on the o/s, do it on the n/s as well.

An alternative, whcih I used when I fitted the Patriot rack to my DC is to use standard round reflectors attached to the rear crossmember using the (otherwise unused) screwholes for the grab-handles/bumperettes.
Post #100059 15th Nov 2011 12:42pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
I did wonder about the reflectors being equal on both sides of vehicle.

On our red 110, one reflector is horizontal, one vertical and has been like that for 7 years, no comment ever made at MOT time.

Brendan
Post #100075 15th Nov 2011 2:36pm
roliver

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 ST Tamar Blue
Thanks so much for these instructions. Did mine today and they were a great help! I had no idea about reflectors being an MOT item though.
Post #597142 28th Jan 2017 11:35pm
justinp

United Kingdom 
When I fitted mine it didn't come with the plastic washers that fit main hinge bolts on the inside of the mounting brackets and without these the carrier bangs and clonks on every bump.

If you've not got them, it's well worth going back to the supplier to request some.
Post #597184 29th Jan 2017 9:53am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
leeds wrote:
I did wonder about the reflectors being equal on both sides of vehicle.

On our red 110, one reflector is horizontal, one vertical and has been like that for 7 years, no comment ever made at MOT time.

Brendan

Same here Brendan. One horizontal and one vertical. The latter is not the same shape as the former and have never had a problem getting through the MOT.

For those of you that have these wheel carriers, mine is nearly ten years old and still going strong, been bounced around more green lanes than I can count and is on its second Defender. If I had one negative comment it'd be that the rear fog light is quite obstructed by the hi-lift, but other than that it has lasted great. A squirt of grease at service time and every couple of years it is worth dismantling cleaning out the hinges and regreasing.

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #597194 29th Jan 2017 10:32am
leeds

United Kingdom 
Quote Geobloke

Quote:

If I had one negative comment it'd be that the rear fog light is quite obstructed by the hi-lift, but other than that it has lasted great.

I have had words with the manufacturers about this and they said the high lift should only be carried on the mount whilst offroad.

However have not heard of anyone having issues with this on the road

Brendan
Post #597320 29th Jan 2017 4:44pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Hi Brendan that is what I would have figured they'd say, but suspect 9 out of 10 vehicles have the hi-lift permanently installed.

The only solution to this is fitting duplicate fog and reverse lights so they are both on each side of the door. This would also solve the other issue of lack of light with just one reverse light... Two birds, one stone... Perhaps...
Post #597455 29th Jan 2017 9:17pm
L90Andy

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 SW Zambezi Silver
On a previous Defender I had one of these with the hi-lift on. Didn't fail the MOT but was picked up as an advisory...
"Advisory notice item(s)
REAR FOG LIGHT IS DIFFICULT TO SEE DUE TO 'EQUIPMENT' BEING FASTENED DIRECTLY IN FRONT AND ADVISE *ONE OR THE OTHER* TO BE RELOCATED." Instagram: l90andy

2006 Land Rover 90 TD5 CSW Silver Edition

My 1984 Ninety: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56071.html - SOLD!
My 2015 Defender: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic39625.html - SOLD!
Post #597532 30th Jan 2017 12:10am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>