↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Series Land Rovers > Series 3 help (some picture that may scare or not?)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Series 3 help (some picture that may scare or not?)
Hello

Spend quite a while under a series III poking about.

Its the oldest car I have ever bought by FAR and while it has obvious rust while prodding and looking under / inside I did notice some holes Shocked Shocked

Now surprisingly the biggest was under passenger side foot well (drivers was fine)

I've seen you can buy the whole new foot well for not much and weld in... is this all it would need?

Then the bottom of the bulkhead by the lower door hinge a small hole each side again mechanic said these could be plated both sides?

lastly under the plywood floor over rear tub a couple of holes, again mechanic said it could be plated or a whole new piece fitted.

Now he's selling on behalf of a good customer and has done all the MOT's over 7 years he will not make anything from the sale but I can get him to do the welding etc.

Can any people with more knowledge than me give me a view on these pictures please Very Happy (I have PM'd two helpful people who know I'm looking at a series but thought open this up to more views)

Passenger foot well holes Shocked

Click image to enlarge

each side a hole this sort of size, I did dig around it gets no bigger...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Boot floor with some holes

Click image to enlarge

It has a long MOT, has had new bits fitted (brakes, suspension, rubbers etc etc) looks pretty honest.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

not sure what this was for (disconnected)

Click image to enlarge
Post #594807 20th Jan 2017 6:57pm
RichLech

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
I'd be concerned about the holes under the lower door hinges. This is just above where the bulkhead is fixed to the chassis and if that fixing is rotten you are looking at more than a bit of plating. With these holes at the bottom of the bulkhead check the areas higher up under the corners of the windscreen very carefully. The bulkhead rusts here as well. make sure it hasn't been patched up with filler!

I've had holes in the passenger footwell and just cut out the rusty metal and bolted in a bit of aluminium sheeting. OK if it is not close to the bulkhead fixing referred to above.

Not sure about holes in boot floor. This should be aluminium so why has it holed? Have a look immediately under the holes. If it just holes in the aluminium then can be replaced.
Post #594827 20th Jan 2017 8:24pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
seen much much worse than that, check the front of the chassis near the front spring hangers and the same at the rear of the chassis also outriggers, anything can be fixed at a cost DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #594828 20th Jan 2017 8:27pm
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Stacey007 probably the quickest and best way to improve it is to pop an Optimill fuel cap on it Thumbs Up 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #594829 20th Jan 2017 8:32pm
Tinytim

United Kingdom 
Looking at your photos they are the common things you will find on an old landy and can all be solved, if the main chassis and bulkhead are in good condition that is the main thing. On the face of it it's not a bad looking example, but also depends on the asking price.
From personal experience our series 3 has/ had all these areas and they can be fixed but it does come at a cost if you can't do it yourself, and when you start it can become an increasing problem of chasing the rust round. Once done though it should be good for a few more years.
Over the years we have had footwells replaced and plated, the rust spots at the bottom of the bulkhead plated, the rest of which is still quite solid.
The rear floor is electrolytic corrosion , you will most likely find the rails under the floor have corroded away and the crossmembers past there best too. It isn't too bad a job to replace, just need to drill out the spot welds then remove the floor and Crossmembers, This also gives good access to the top of the rear chassis.
Box in back looks like auxilary /split charge system
Post #594830 20th Jan 2017 8:32pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
^ hehehe still need to fit mine Smile

The foot well looks like this would sort it

The boot floor looks like it needs this.

The holes near the bottom of door looks to me like this bit. I've poked a screw driver all over it...

http://www.yrm-metal-solutions.co.uk/epage...s/050-0001

Click image to enlarge

The foot well (passenger looks like it needs this)

http://www.yrm-metal-solutions.co.uk/epage...oducts/033

Click image to enlarge

Then the floor this (boot)

will see if I have more pics I can post that show more...

Thanks All
Post #594834 20th Jan 2017 8:41pm
ian series 1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
Pm'd Wink 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Wanted, Forward Control Anything considered.
Post #594843 20th Jan 2017 9:05pm
milesr3

2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Keswick Green
You'll need the bottom few inches of the door pillars as well as the feet. I used YRM parts on mine.

If you are going to do the footwell(s) then get swaged ones from Les Crombie (Lescr on eBay) or Classic Bulkheads.

For the door pillars to have rusted out will probably mean that the metal will be thin and it's the only bit holding the bulkhead to the chassis. I wouldn't mess about trying to plate it. Don't be put off though, it's easily fixed for around £500 and a few hours work stripping it down.

Leave the boot floor (but fix the spars).

Do have a good poke/ hammer around the front and rear extremes of the chassis.
Post #594863 20th Jan 2017 9:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1