↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Are you getting used to it yet?
What do you think now?
I always liked it
39%
 39%  [41]
I hated it but now reluctantly accept it
11%
 11%  [12]
I hated it then and still do
45%
 45%  [48]
I hated it then but love it now
3%
 3%  [4]
Total Votes: 105

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
apt100

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Like many comments above... if they had made it I think it would have sold, but I see it as something other than a Defender replacement.
Post #594227 18th Jan 2017 8:43pm
BCdefender

Canada 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Orkney Grey
Another vote for JJ's comment. I bought mine as an overlander that will get me from Vancouver to Argentina and back. When they designed the TD5 engine it was built to run on poor quality diesel and in difficult environments. It has an awesome payload limit especially with heavy duty OEM suspension.

The new one looks like an awesome replacement for a Jeep TJ. Doesn't look like something that I could fix in the middle of a South American jungle. If I was using my Defender for weekend off road trips not more than 100kms or so from a dealership I would say the new one is going to be awesome. 1999 Defender 110
2003 P38
2007 RR SC

"And that's why it needs to be celebrated, because when the Defender goes we'll have lost this pointer to where we came from, and we're really going to miss it."

My build thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic47750.html
Post #594288 19th Jan 2017 12:16am
Vogler

Belgium 2015 Defender 110 Td5 HT Chawton White
Looked at it a while ago and decided that I liked it. Wouldn't swap our Defender for it, but when you look at it as a model added to the Evoques, RRcs and Discovery's then it suddenly looks as the real offroader of the bunch.

J
Post #594306 19th Jan 2017 8:09am
Avelingporter

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
The trouble the designers have is legislation has changed the way cars look. Pedestrian impact, ncap tests, emissions etc etc. these all mean that what ever they design will probably not look as butch or as simple a shape as our beloved defenders.
As for simplicity, car manufacturers are in business to sell cars and if more luxuries and gismo's....from our perspective that is, mean a wider sales audience then that is what we will get.

As others have said, I like it..but its not a defender.
Post #594314 19th Jan 2017 8:38am
Freypal

United Kingdom 1992 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Portofino Red
Like others. From the rear and side on I actually like it. Its the front end I hated and still do. Far too sloping and rounded. Add on a more D4-esque front end and it could have worked.
Post #594544 19th Jan 2017 7:36pm
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
The important thing is not if we like it now. It will be interesting to see if we like it in 2020 and are saying "That's the one they should have built instead of this". Rest assured someone will be saying that.

In my opinion the DC100 looks way, way, better than the 2017 Defender.
Post #594568 19th Jan 2017 8:32pm
Slideywindows

England 
Setok wrote:

What could be interesting as a challenge: if an engineer were to create a new Defender, based on the goals of the car, what would it look like without any input from a designer? I mean that's basically how the original Land Rover was created...

That ^ is what I would like to see them do, but they'll have to add in safety and environmental legislation.

"Contemporary" design usually means "out-of-date-tomorrow, design."

If it is good enough at doing the jobs people want it for, the new Defender shouldn't need superfluous "styling".

(Leave that to the subsequent owners! Whistle)
Post #594575 19th Jan 2017 8:55pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
I don't "hate" it, but my thoughts haven't changed, I wasn't keen on it then, nor am I now.
Pickles.
Post #594581 19th Jan 2017 9:21pm
Setok

Finland 
Slideywindows wrote:
Setok wrote:

What could be interesting as a challenge: if an engineer were to create a new Defender, based on the goals of the car, what would it look like without any input from a designer? I mean that's basically how the original Land Rover was created...

That ^ is what I would like to see them do, but they'll have to add in safety and environmental legislation.

"Contemporary" design usually means "out-of-date-tomorrow, design."

If it is good enough at doing the jobs people want it for, the new Defender shouldn't need superfluous "styling".

(Leave that to the subsequent owners! Whistle)

Yes, part of the engineering challenge would be to fulfil safety and environment requirements, in addition to the other requirements. It's the latter we might end up debating, but for me it would be something along the line of: very capable offroad, reliable, capable of hard work, repairable, and a platform that can perform in a variety of shapes (short/long wheelbase, double cab etc). Price range at the lower end of the LR spectrum (but with options to go higher), with a bit of comfort to boot. I imagine the result could be pretty interesting.
Post #594809 20th Jan 2017 7:08pm
nidge n

for me it doesn't look purposeful enough for a defender replacement. I would just like the new defender to represent what i would consider the original Land Rover enthusiast. Don't get me wrong, i get the new design language and the market it is attracting. But surely there is something out there for those who don't want bling. Big Cry
Post #594849 20th Jan 2017 9:28pm
Ramajama

United States 
Terrible!
Post #596626 27th Jan 2017 3:46am
L110CDL

England 
Pickles wrote:
I don't "hate" it, but my thoughts haven't changed, I wasn't keen on it then, nor am I now.
Pickles.

My thoughts exactly Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #598440 1st Feb 2017 10:26pm
Swedishbloke

Sweden 
It would probably sell much better than current/past Defender. It is however an entirely diffrent veichle. It is more of a lifestyle/urban car than a proper 4x4. The typical buyer would be a hipster or a woman. But since they already have a model for that niche, the Evoque, I do not se the point of the DC100 at all. I would rather prefer that they just decided to axe the Defender entirely.

Out of spite I would rather buy the utility version of the Merc G-klass, or a J**p than that monstrosity.
Post #599691 6th Feb 2017 8:28pm
Stuff

Of course it's going to be an entirely different vehicle and I hope it sells very well. I look forward to buying one.

It might well find most of its buyers in the lifestyle market but I expect it will also find a strong commercial market. It doesn't have to beat the market share of every other type of 4x4 to be a commercial success.

It will definitely be a proper 4x4, and I expect it to exceed the abilities of the 110, D3, D4, RRS1 and RRS2 I have owned. I also hope that it will be a refreshing break from LR's upmarket march; the RRS2 external finishes are beautiful but they scratch far too easily, and the D5 is likely to be the same.

Bring it on - I think it's going to be great. Mr. Green
Post #599751 6th Feb 2017 11:30pm
Morepower

New Zealand 
Sorry Stuff... But the chance of a commercial version are NIL... LR have abandoned the commercial market... Unfortunately it's "lifestyle" vehicles from now on... Yes we may well get a new tough "Defender"... But not for the commercial market...

Shame really, But that seems to be the new company direction..

Tim It doesn't matter how bad it is, It can always get worse...

2013 Bowler 110 (Sold)
2016 Bowler 90 Rally Spec (Sold)
Post #600493 9th Feb 2017 9:10pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>