↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Any Pension Experts on the forum ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
pjb

Any Pension Experts on the forum ?
Morning

Just thought I should ask here first.

Brief summary :-

I was looking to take a lump sum (25% cash tax free) out of my pension scheme once 55 to pay off some of my mortgage / help daughter on property ladder but not take anything else out of the scheme till circa 60 so another 5 years.

My problem is the "Annual Allowance" I have read that it will drop to £10k, £4k from 5.4.17 once I have taken the tax free lump sum, but also read that it applies if I take more than 25%, so my thinking if I took 24% would the annual allowance remain as is at £40k ?

My company pays into the scheme & I go not want to lose that contribution for 5 years !

I have asked the company scheme administrator but would like to try & get a second opinion as well just in case I can do it - current thinking seems to say I cannot which is a bit of a Censored ! 2020 P300 HSE
Post #594300 19th Jan 2017 8:10am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Orangesofa

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Firstly, I am not a pensions expert - I work in the Pension sector delivering programmes of change and I happened to deliver a project on Annual Allowance last year.

Since the Pensions Freedoms capability was enabled a couple of years ago, people over 55 could take up to 25% of their pot (subject to terms) tax free. The obvious loop-hole that needed to be closed was that if you pay into your pension, you get tax relief from the government for everything you put in up to a figure of £40k - the "Annual Allowance" (limit subject to change annually). So if you drew out say £50k and then immediately put in £40k you'd get government relief on what you put in. Do this every year and you are quids in.... So they closed this loophole before it was exploited.

If you take an amount from your pension, a "UFPLS" (Uncrystallised Funds Pension Lump Sum), your Annual Allowance is automatically reduced to £10k to stop you trying to pay it back in. This is reducing to £4k from April 2017. This lower contribution limit is known as the "MPAA".

The 25% you refer to is the amount of your pot you can take tax free, so if you took 24%, you would just get less and neither would be taxable. If of course you went to 26%, then the extra 1% would be taxable.

The answer I think you are looking for (although not what you want to hear) is that any UFPLS amount will mean the MPAA limits will be applied afterwards. So if you took 5%, the MPAA limits would apply.

CAVEAT - I am not a financial advisor so I would recommend you seek proper advice. Besides - taking any UFPLS will diminish your pension pot which whilst it may be only for a few years - this can make a significant difference to the amount you receive in a pension during retirement. I would urge you to get some good advice before cashing in any part of your pension. Phil
Post #594333 19th Jan 2017 10:59am
pjb

Thanks Phil

Just had confirmation that you can take the 25% without losing the annual allowance Thumbs Up

For anyone in a similar position as Phil says imperative to take professional advice.

In my case the rest of my fund is in property & rent coming in will help keep me in funds to repair landrovers for many years to come Whistle 2020 P300 HSE
Post #594454 19th Jan 2017 3:45pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Orangesofa

With the greatest respect - you need to check that, as I am certain it is incorrect.

If you take 25% of your pension pot, you will not be taxed on it but your annual allowance will absolutely be affected and you will be subject to a new MPAA limit of £10k if you took it in this Financial Year or £4k if you took it in the next Financial Year.

Please double check your understanding as you could be in for a shock. Big Cry

There is lots of information online on this topic and would recommend a look at the Scottish Widows website. They were commended by the FCA for the information they provided customers. Partial Pension Encashment is the search phrase to use.

Good luck! Phil
Post #594461 19th Jan 2017 4:11pm
pjb

Thanks Phil it was a concern.

Had it just confirmed by two companies now Very Happy

http://www.hl.co.uk/help/sipp,-drawdown-an...-commenced 2020 P300 HSE
Post #594463 19th Jan 2017 4:22pm
Orangesofa

Thumbs Up Phil
Post #594464 19th Jan 2017 4:24pm
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Might be worth finding out about your options for income draw-down too. Depends upon the size of your pension, but could save tax long term.
Post #594585 19th Jan 2017 10:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1