↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Christmas Woes!!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
biffabacon67

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Christmas Woes!!!
Travelled from North east down to Lincoln on Christmas day. As we neared Darlington on the A1 clutch pedal hits the floor and fails to come back up. Call to AA and the guy (A very nice man!!!) meets us an hour and a bit later as we get off the A1 at the junction A46. Land rover trailered to Marshalls in Lincoln. Not open so have to leave it on the road outside.
Service closed until 28th, so keys left with sales on the 27th and head home in my Brother in laws car.
Told it was the clutch master cylinder so has it replaced on the 30th at over £400!!! Brother in law collected it on 31st (as i wouldn't be able to get there before they closed at 1)and drove 2 miles to his house. I drove down after work yesterday (31st) to collect it. Everything fine.
Now, when i pull into the local garage to re-fuel i notice that when i use the fob to lock it, it now toots the horn at me twice as if the door is open (none are!)
Carry on my journey as i head north and get onto the A1 notice a different feel too the clutch operation but think it is because it is new. A1 is just 6th all the way home but as i get to my turn off by the metro centre clutch fails again! No pressure.
Lever to the floor. I manage to coax it home and dump it on the drive.
What do you reckon?
Feeling fleeced!!!
Post #589181 1st Jan 2017 1:29pm
dorsetsmith

Slave clutch cylinder failed now or new master clutch cylinder failed, check fluid in the master clutch cylinder

I use the fob to lock it, it now toots the horn at me twice

1. low main battery volts or low battery volts in the key fob battery
Post #589190 1st Jan 2017 2:14pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
£400 to replace a part you can get for £30!? Wow...

Check fluid level first as above. And see if there's a leak either down the pedal (master cylinder) or under the vehicle (slave cylinder). Or could be in the pipework also.

Could also be poor fitting, i.e. adjustment setting failed or a loose union etc.
Post #589203 1st Jan 2017 3:14pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
The master cylinder is pretty damned easy to do, just getting to the bolts holding the pedal box on the bulkhead from inside the dash. The actual part is one of the few things that has been a common part throughout the whole run of Defenders, might well be the same as the Series before. The last one I did cost me a tenner as I knew it was on its way out and I picked it up from one of the shows earlier in the year.
Brake Master Cylinder is a different ball game, that's probably what they've charged you for!
Post #589265 1st Jan 2017 7:27pm
biffabacon67

dorsetsmith wrote:
Slave clutch cylinder failed now or new master clutch cylinder failed, check fluid in the master clutch cylinder

I use the fob to lock it, it now toots the horn at me twice

1. low main battery volts or low battery volts in the key fob battery

13.2 volts at the battery on a very cold morning, engine not running
15 volts at the battery with engine running.

Battery in fob replaced in June, tried spare fob. Same , two toots.
Post #589498 2nd Jan 2017 6:11pm
dorsetsmith

OK next door not closed or door puller switch shorted to neg with door closed
Post #589526 2nd Jan 2017 6:48pm
Cuthbert

Re: Christmas Woes!!!
biffabacon67 wrote:
Travelled from North east down to Lincoln on Christmas day. As we neared Darlington on the A1 clutch pedal hits the floor and fails to come back up. Call to AA and the guy (A very nice man!!!) meets us an hour and a bit later as we get off the A1 at the junction A46. Land rover trailered to Marshalls in Lincoln. Not open so have to leave it on the road outside.
Service closed until 28th, so keys left with sales on the 27th and head home in my Brother in laws car.
Told it was the clutch master cylinder so has it replaced on the 30th at over £400!!! Brother in law collected it on 31st (as i wouldn't be able to get there before they closed at 1)and drove 2 miles to his house. I drove down after work yesterday (31st) to collect it. Everything fine.
Now, when i pull into the local garage to re-fuel i notice that when i use the fob to lock it, it now toots the horn at me twice as if the door is open (none are!)
Carry on my journey as i head north and get onto the A1 notice a different feel too the clutch operation but think it is because it is new. A1 is just 6th all the way home but as i get to my turn off by the metro centre clutch fails again! No pressure.
Lever to the floor. I manage to coax it home and dump it on the drive.
What do you reckon?
Feeling fleeced!!!

I feel your pain! If this happened on your driveway on a Summer's day then a DIY repair would have been relatively simple and cheap. However, you suffer a problem at peak holiday period and pay top dollar for a prompt repair - then find out you still have problems and are £400 out of pocket. I'd be back on the phone to the dealer looking for some seasonal goodwill.
Post #589587 2nd Jan 2017 9:20pm
biffabacon67

If it had been any other time of year and nearer home, i probably would have had a go myself. But Christmas day fully loaded, with six occupants and on our way to my Brother in laws for Christmas dinner, i was stuffed!!!
They are picking it up tomorrow on a flat bed and dropping off a courtesy car. Seems bit mental to me, to send a trailer from Lincoln, to pick it up from Northumberland, take it back to Lincoln, have a look at it, and trailer it back again.
Great customer service though!!
Post #589778 3rd Jan 2017 4:30pm
pme

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Tonga Green
as it is the ford based concentric slave cylinder it could be the the tee piece that connects into the slave cylinder, there is a ball valve to reduce some kind of resonance issue.it took the garage three attempts to get it right First time, the slave, second time the pipe from master to slave, third time the peak torque limiter

please ensure you let us all know the final fix

bon chance
Post #589859 3rd Jan 2017 7:40pm
pme

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Tonga Green
Any information on the fix for this? Is it still busted?

Thanks
Post #594035 18th Jan 2017 9:35am
biffabacon67

Sorry its taken me so long for an update but other stuff has been taking priority lately.
Long story short. Garage in Lincoln replaced the master cylinder, which fixed it for a while, first long journey clutch was back to the floor again.
Garage re-bled the system, this time it lasted five weeks. No obvious signs of a leak anywhere, and reservoir still full.
Lasted 6 days Clutch back to the floor and staying there.
I can fix it for a while by crawling underneath and bleeding the system but it only lasts a day or two.
Bell housing dry. Master cylinder dry. No sign of fluid loss, but it is sucking in air from somewhere. It always seems to occur after on a longish journey on a dual carriageway or motorway where no gear changing/clutch use is involved. You go to change gear to get off and it just hits the floor and stays there.
Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Steve
Post #603066 19th Feb 2017 4:26pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Slave cylinder seals gone? Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #603069 19th Feb 2017 4:37pm
biffabacon67

I'm truly stumped. If the slave cylinder were leaking then i would expect a drip/damp patch on the bottom of the bell housing,
but nothing.
It has been suggested that it may be the slave cylinder adapter (UGN500020) that is leaking/faulty. As far as i can see it can really only be that or the slave cylinder.
Dropping it off tomorrow at the local garage for them to investigate. hopefully they will get to the bottom of it.
Post #603073 19th Feb 2017 4:45pm
dorsetsmith

Note with replacement slave cylinder kit for 2.4 defender to fit new slave cylinder adapter Exclamation this has a Control Valve Exclamation good luck
Post #603076 19th Feb 2017 4:54pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
It may not be leaking it could just be the seals inside letting brake fluid past the plunger Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #603091 19th Feb 2017 5:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>