Home > 130 > Demountable on 130
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Tissue box

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Tonga Green
Demountable on 130
Hi,
I am a newbie to posting on forums so I hope I am doing this correctly .
I have a Tischer demountable recently acquired which is the correct model for my LHD Defender 130 Puma 2.4.
The vehicle is ten years old but is in very good condition and had an easy life in France I gather.
Having loaded the demountable onto the Defender I was disappointed to see so much sag on the

Click image to enlarge

rear suspension and over 50 mph the Defender starts to move around more than I would wish. I am hoping the addition of full air suspension will solve the instability and sag. I can only assume coils shockers and bushes are too tired to support the camper(912kg) with most of weight eg leisure batteries and fresh water low down in front of the back axle.
There was a post here a couple of years ago showing a 130 with an Artic camper loaded and a very neat idea for the spare wheel as this is also a problem when the camper is loaded. I wonder if this 130 had air. The German factory who make the box fit air as standard onto 130 for their German customers .
Have other people experienced instability when such a camper has been loaded.

Thanks

Richard

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #589331 1st Jan 2017 11:01pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
With something that big I'd say air is a must and if the factory fit them as standard to most 130s it will be with good reason. Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #589357 2nd Jan 2017 1:24am
GREENI

United Kingdom 
There's a member of the forum who sells demountables, I can't remember who though Embarassed

It does look like it's squat down, I bet the steering is light!!

I'd be interested to see pics of the inside?
Post #589363 2nd Jan 2017 7:36am
Projectblue

England 
I'm assuming the 130 has the 130 double springs on the rear?

Have you put it on a weighbridge to get the axle weights? New project and it's green: www.projectoverland.info
Post #589456 2nd Jan 2017 3:43pm
RFT

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Zermatt Silver
Richard,

I am the owner of the Artica camper on 130, I've uprated the rear anti roll bar, rear springs & rear shocks and it drives and sits well.

I am not near my file of info at the moment, but when I am I will send details.

Richard 130 Puma HCPU with an Artica 240LR Demountable Camper
Post #589546 2nd Jan 2017 7:43pm
Trundlebus

United Kingdom 
i run a 130 with a bimobie demountable. It has uprated rear springs and anti roll bar and airlift bags inside the rear spring coils
At a total gross of 3500 Kilos, it is Ok, just have to pump the airbags up to about 45-50 psi, not the 35 psi recommended. I looked at full air suspension but ruled it out on cost. What I have works OK.
Post #589606 2nd Jan 2017 9:58pm
Tissue box

Thanks for all your replies.
Yes am going the full air route from a company based at Silverstone.Figured will help with loading aswell as drivability.
Costly but not compared to the demountable! They run all four air bags at 20psi but will need to check this in light of rear axle weight .
Photos of interior on Tischer website as I none of mine as yet.
The very helpful UK agent for Tischer In Camarthen ran the rear axle over a weigh bridge today and rear axle taking 2100 kg so only 100 kg spare despite camper weighing 912kg plus 50 kg of odds and sods and a total payload across both axles of c.1300kg if what I have read is correct. I have yet to put wine and beer in it as we have not taken delivery due to handling issues!
Presume the rest of the weight is down to the rear half of the vehicle . Centre of gravity well forward of rear axle as both leisure batteries and fresh water sit low down at front of pickup tub.
Will do both axles and total loaded weight when camper back at home.
Yes my 130 has internal rear helper springs but original shockers so I was surprised at the sag. It also has an unrated rear antiroll bar, standard Michelin XZL tyres inflated to 45psi/70psi on HD steels and 120 litre fuel tank.
Unfortunately having spoken to my supplier with reference to the Artic camper post and spare wheel he said the Tischer box comes forward more so external spare fixing not possible.....it will have to sit behind the front seat but at least this will bring the weight forwards.
Removing rear seats when on a trip will save a lot of weight as they weigh a tonne!
Will post pics once air fitted.
Thanks
Richard
Post #589637 3rd Jan 2017 12:03am
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
I have a terrible experience with similar car and camping equipment (Azalai) - with original shock absorbers it was a bit challenge to drive it faster around a corner. Final solution was adding dual custom made shocks to both axles. After that, the riding was again similar to loaded 130. So springs are only the first and easier part of the problem. 130 with this kind of box is just too tall. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "BlufĆ­nek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #589645 3rd Jan 2017 7:12am
Trundlebus

United Kingdom 
I have had my bimobile 130 for nearly 3 years and driven over 20000 miles around europe in it. it is set up correctlly with upgraded, springs,shocks roll bar and air bags as i described. It is not difficult or a problem to drive. Not too much sway on corners, it rolls a bit, then the upgraded bits kick in and it stops rolling and goes around the corner ok. The only "moment" i have had is when coming down a steep mountain road in deep snow, the back wanted to overtake the fromt! It called for a very gentle use of throttle brakes and steering. -charcter building.
One thing i am about to do, as it is out of warranty this week, is to take it to Alive tuning for a remap. Those long hills are a problem when fully loaded.
Taking out the rear seats when travelling is a good plan, gives masses of storage space.
Check your insurance, the only place that we found for full cover of the unit mounted and demounted was camptons.
Check out the demountable camper group on facebook.
Look forward to being stared at whenever you go to a campsite and demount, followed by lots of pepole popping over for a chat.
Have fun
Post #589650 3rd Jan 2017 8:16am
Tissue box

Hi Mad Tom and Trundlebus,
If the unit is too high Tischer had better stop making them for the Defender!! There were three Tischer 260RS boxes being made for Defenders last month when mine was being made. I looked at the Bimobil long and hard but it seemed very expensive and did not offer a north/south bed. I also felt removing the tub left a more comprised use of the vehicle when the camper was demounted at camp sites. However the Tischer box with extras was not cheap but did also offer a diesel Truma to reduce gas usage as my experience last year has been that lpg / Autogas is becoming more difficult in Europe and Uk.
I did not want to upgrade the standard suspension to anything harder as when empty it shakes my fillings out already!
I am hoping full air solves all the problems ...we shall see.
I looked at Azalai but they too seemed very expensive and perhaps less room inside for two. Having had a dedicated Motorhome before I wanted more flexibility so that one vehicle did both camping and day to day travel
I had my Defender remapped and it pulls very well.
Thanks for your comments
Will look at farce book for demountable group!
Yes Camptons seem the only insurance company to insure the demountable when off the vehicle but they insist on a tracker.
They also limit European travel cover on an annual mileage basis unlike my previous Motorhome with Safeguard. I cannot see why insurance companies think they are so nickable compared with a caravan as they have wheels!
Richard
Post #589703 3rd Jan 2017 12:28pm
Trundlebus

United Kingdom 
Tissue box,
yes, understand your reservations re removing the pickup bed, it has not been a problem for us. I use it as a day to day vehicle at home with the tub in place and when we are away there is more than enough space inside the cab for anything we need. It does have the advantage of setting the cabin lower.
The camptons insurance is not as bad as it seems, I am covered for unlimited time abroad, not some silly 90 day period. The limited milage is not as bad as expected, when I reached my limit I checked and I am still fully covered if the milage is exceeded, its just that the excess goes up quite a bit. So risk v reward, I opted not to extend the number of miles but to suffer the increased excess if I had a problem.
I just let down the airbags and reduce the tyre pressures, the ride is still hard but bearable. I will look out for your report on the full air system and would be interested to know the cost please keep us posted ![/img]
Post #589728 3rd Jan 2017 1:46pm
KGH

United States 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
Just got my new to me 130, and the wife and I are looking at options. Demountable seems very handy.

- Do any of you drop them at campsite and actually use them demounted for a few days?

- is there any regret over not having a pass thru to the unit from the cab, a lį ambulance campers, azalai, etc?

- I would opt for diesel heat. We burned thru a lot of propane when we did 8 days in Iceland this past September. Rented a 130mdouble cab with Tischer camper. Iceland roads are hrrible, but the rig did OK. Standard 130 suspension, dual LR coil in coil on rear.

Have not been inside a Bimobil. Tischer was nice, convenient layout. Cabnetry was not what I would consider off-road. They could take a few hints from marine industry, but I imagine 99% of Tischers don't go off roads!

Are there other brands I am not familiar with for demountable?

Thanks. 2013 110 - Keswick Green
1995 ExRAF 110 Utility
1986 127 HCPU
1985 110 PU
2012 Disco4
Post #593522 16th Jan 2017 2:44pm
Trundlebus

United Kingdom 
Yes, i frequently demount when at a campsite. Usually wheb staying 2 nights or more
I don't regret lack offass through, Bimobile will supply a hstch to allow one to go through but it is too small to be anything other than an emergency escape rpute. Thrue, the idea of all in one such as a normal motorhome is nice but i prefer being able to demount
I have a trauma combi boiler diesel powered, its excellent,
I bought a bimobil because of the excellent build quality. Look inside one and you will see what i mean. The cabin is alloy skinned not fiberglass and the finish is first class. Expensive, but for me worth it

Al
Post #593551 16th Jan 2017 4:53pm
Trundlebus

United Kingdom 
Oops, thats Pass through of course.
Currently sitting in an air near Gijon in spain using phone tp type so apologies for mistakes
Post #593552 16th Jan 2017 4:55pm
KGH

United States 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
Trundle, thanks for the information. It is a large investment, so getting to know as much as possible helps.

No worries on spelling errors, I often make them!

We like the idea of demounting and still having transport to other areas, would be nice in Iceland, or in Nordic countries.

I will find my nearest Bimobil dealer and have a look.

Regards,
Kip 2013 110 - Keswick Green
1995 ExRAF 110 Utility
1986 127 HCPU
1985 110 PU
2012 Disco4
Post #593618 16th Jan 2017 8:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>