↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > Living With A 200 tdi
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
jubjub

Living With A 200 tdi
Hi all...
Am used to driving Toyota hilux day in day out for work.
Driven an old dt years ago, brother had a TD5 5/6 years ago that i had for a week...
From what i recall that was a real modern drive hat you could use every day.
Currently considering a 200tdi - haven't been to see one local that i could try - but what are they like for occasional driving/everyday driving, or indeed motorway use?

Thanks in advance....
Post #593113 14th Jan 2017 11:09pm
seriesonenut

United Kingdom 
Hi
I have owned my 1991 110 CSW 200tdi for about 10 years now. I love it.

I travel about 3000 miles a year (second car) and I take it anywhere. Motorway driving is fine I tend to hold 65mph leaving a bit for reserve but it will just about hold 70 (depending on head winds and hills!).
I driven 300tdi' Defenders but still prefer mine, a td5 has more power but i will be keeping mine for as long as I can.
26 mpg regardless of speed or load, mine now has 182000 on the clock.
Post #593124 14th Jan 2017 11:49pm
gazman

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Alpine White
you really need to drive one, I do 20 odd thousand miles a year and even with a td5 I find it can be too much some days and have taken my motorbike or pushbike instead.

I tried a 200 and found it a nice motor but noisy and slow to live with for the mileage I do, ditto a 300 I test drove.
I then had a go of a few td5's till I found mine, and it was far better on the motorways than any of the others. Turns out it had a disco transfer box and is well insulated.

No matter how refined they are, they still do your head in on certain days. Be it the one that you've just ripped your jeans on the door lock, the one where the heater just doesn't get warm, the one where it leaves a big dirty stain on your clean shirt or breaks down, or the day you need to get home quick and your stuck plodding at 60/70. Then their is the times when you get to it to find some toe rag has tried stealing it. 7 times for me in 2 yrs now...

But for everyday they Censored you off their is a million times they are awesome and make you smile. 2014 - current ..... 2003 defender td5 90 (my car)
2009 - current .... 2005 zx10r
Post #593192 15th Jan 2017 12:48pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I've had my 200tdi 90 for a few months, now. It's noisy, rattly and slow (although not unduly) but is great fun to knock around in. My biggest gripes at the moment are more to do with age than specification, i.e. the doors are shot and need replacing, as do the rear lights. You need to accept this sort of stuff as going with the territory of a 25 year old Land Rover, though. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #593214 15th Jan 2017 1:56pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
You certainly need to drive one round for a few days/weeks before committing to it. It will be slower and noisier than the Td5 you used, and compared to the Hilux... well there will be no comparison!

However they can be daily driver vehicles no problem - I am now doing 40,000 or so miles a year in my 200Tdi 90 (with 280,000 on the clock) - but not everyone can hack it. A 110 CSW would be the best variant, giving the best ride and the most soundproofing. Mine is soundproofed which helps a lot, and I have also added a number of mod-cons such as remote CDL, cruise control, side window demisters etc. to aid the day-to-day useability.

Motorways are fine if you are content to sit at 60-65mph as I am. Mine returns 31-32mpg pretty consistently across my type of driving (country roads, fast A road, and motorways, very limited town/city, some towing).

Shame you are the other end of the country, but hopefully you'll be able to get a go in locally one to see. Though really you need it for a week or so to get the feel of it. Ideally a cold wet windy week!

One thing I will say is that over the 8-9 years I've had my 90 it's been at it's most reliable in the last couple of years when it has been used for a lot of miles. Old cars (and as pointed out above all Tdis are very old cars now) do not like sitting about unused, and my Tdi at least seems 'happiest' when it's working hard with a big trailer on the back.
Post #593234 15th Jan 2017 3:55pm
jubjub

Thanks for the helpful replies....
I would imagine it would be fine... used to driving old classics/mid 90s.
The latest incarnation of hilux is largely due to be LEZ compliant. Not quite so sure how a Landrover from late 80's/early 90's s as well? A check says its compliant....

Im tempted to go for the 200tdi I'm looking at.... :lol
Post #593307 15th Jan 2017 8:25pm
Defendermatt

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 Other SW Bonatti Grey
How do you have cruise control on a tdi?
Post #593317 15th Jan 2017 8:43pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Aftermarket Waeco kit.

Defender Station Wagon models are exempt from LEZ as they are classed as cars, however anything else is not (i.e. they're all commercial vehicles). Unfortunately a lot of station wagon models were incorrectly registered as commercials/utilities by Land Rover at first registration which causes all sorts of havoc with TfL. However if you're looking at one that comes up as exempt then no need to worry - presumably it's a station wagon.
Post #593369 15th Jan 2017 10:12pm
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
I have a 200Tdi 110 which I until very recently but that's another story) drive every day and do an average of 2000 miles a month in and can confirm it is perfectly useable every day.

But, not everyone will be able to put up with the noise and slow progress.

They are not terrible at all, but very different to a "car" Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #593511 16th Jan 2017 2:10pm
seriesonenut

United Kingdom 
I would agree with the comment above regarding being most happy fully loaded and towing a trailer. Mine gets worked hard from time to time towing or loaded to capacity. It really runs smoothly (more load soaks up the bumps). I had a petrol 90 before (better refined but appalling mpg) and a 2.5 Na diesel, the 200 knocks spots off both of them. Never a race car but driven sensibly will keep up with modern traffic.
Post #593553 16th Jan 2017 6:38pm
Mean Green

Scotland 
Pretty similar experience - I have had my 200 90 for almost 18 years and have regularly thought about getting a newer one but have never gone through with it.. largely because there is nothing actually wrong with the 200.

And all those little niggles can be improved - fit a disco transfer box to improving cruising speed, fit sound proofing and change to newer interior trims etc. (as an added bonus you get to know your Land Rover and all its little foibles.. and it will have plenty! Very Happy)

I also agree that they run better when used and worked. Mines has been a second car for around 10 years. Around 2 years ago I started using it everyday when I was better 'main' cars and after about 10 days of daily use it ran so much better. Once it was parked up again it suffered lack of power again.

Just remember they are old cars now.... if it has not been restored it will need it soon. If it has been restored - who did it and what did they do. As with any Defender, there is a very fine line between a really good one and a really bad one. But as long as you know what you are letting yourself in for the go for it.
Post #593575 16th Jan 2017 8:03pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Ha love the title... Makes it sound like living with a 200tdi is like living with a clubbed foot or stutter... Laughing Laughing Laughing

They are really sound engines and when tuned well are fabulous to drive over any distance. Plus with today's sound proofing they'd be pretty civilised. In fact I am restoring a 200 D90 for my wife and it is my first defender at that so loads of personal history.

Like others have said the problem with an original vehicle is going to be age related rot, wear and tear. But get a good one and it will last a lifetime and be a lot of fun too. These are real Land Rovers, no thrills and hard as nails... Got a love a 200tdi...

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #593604 16th Jan 2017 8:58pm
gazman

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Alpine White
for me I always find its great till I drive the wifes disco for a few days. Then it feel awful for a few days whilst I readjust 2014 - current ..... 2003 defender td5 90 (my car)
2009 - current .... 2005 zx10r
Post #593646 16th Jan 2017 9:57pm
Chris90V8

England 1987 Defender 90 2.5 TD XS CSW Portofino Red
For me it's all about fun and giggles Thumbs Up

Rattles like hell, noisy as heck and leaks like a sieve

Yup.... Fun Fun Fun Rolling with laughter

(Best part....you can have a go at all the repairs, maintenance and mods yourself) 🚜. ...... . .... . .. 🚗🚐🚛🚚🚚🚗🚙🚐
Post #593726 17th Jan 2017 4:33am
discoed

United Kingdom 
I have a 200Tdi in my RR classic and I have done 6k in the past 4 months - I love it and whats more in the RRC its returned 37mpg on motorway runs and overall its averaging 29 mpg. In the RRC its happy at 70 on the motorway and is east to hustle along on A roads at the legal limit.

I came to the 200Tdi from a TDV6 in a Disco3 and I know whats more fun to drive!!
Post #749480 5th Jan 2019 10:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>