↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Finance & Insurance > Private Land Off-road Insurance
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Orangesofa

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Private Land Off-road Insurance
Later this year I am going on a LR Experience Trek and one 'requirement' they state (not sure if it is mandated) is that I have specific off-road cover for driving on private land. To be clear, this is not green lanes as I would [arguably] be covered by my insurer but an off road drive through private land.

The rationale is 3rd party issues such as me sliding/rolling into someone else and seemingly trashing my own vehicle would only be my issue.

I have not long renewed my insurance so would face the usual cancelation extortion should I decide to switch insurers, so I am on the lookout for a single day's off-road insurance cover.

I did ask LRE and the best they could offer was a list of insurance companies and told me how some customers switched insurers in order to be covered. I also know A Plan are a sponsor and will ring them next week to discuss.

Does anyone have experience of such a thing or know of anywhere who provides cover for single days? Phil
Post #593172 15th Jan 2017 9:45am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I can't really help, but this sounds a lot like the eternal debate over track day insurance in sports car circles. Most people seem to accept the risk and assume all involved would be reasonable should something happen. Then someone will raise the fact that if you are negligent and seriously injure or kill someone you could find yourself in court facing life ruining consequences.

I'm the type of person that doesn't worry to much about these things, but a lot of folk really worry and insurance let's them do things they might not otherwise. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #593181 15th Jan 2017 11:34am
Orangesofa

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Agree however I sensed it was not optional although this was not expressly stated. To collide with another vehicle when in convoy off-road would need some seriously hairy terrain or idiotic behavior - neither of which I am anticipating at a LRE event. Phil
Post #593203 15th Jan 2017 1:12pm
BigRuss

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
What i think they are looking for is for you to check that your car is insured when on their land, some insurance companies only cover when on public highways or your own drive (ie you would not be insured when parked in Tesco or alike). I'm with NFU and the only place i know I am defiantly not insured to be is air side of an airport, I'm also not insured if I race the defender.

I did one of these days several years ago at LR Experice centre in Dunkeld Perthshire, they never asked to see any insurance details. Russell
2011MY 110 XS USW Black
Post #593227 15th Jan 2017 2:53pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Given that the Road Traffic Acts now apply to all places "to which the public has access" , which includes Tesco etc car parks, rally fields, etc, you must be insured in such places.

I suspect that trek days fall in this catch-all (it doesn't make a difference if the public pays for access) and it is likely that your normal insurance covers this provided it is non-competitive. Have you asked them?
Post #593393 15th Jan 2017 11:09pm
BigRuss

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Maybe but remember insurance companies make money by not paying out because of the small print! Russell
2011MY 110 XS USW Black
Post #593423 16th Jan 2017 6:22am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1