↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Defender 90 not starting and dash lights remaining on
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
quantumfoam

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Baltic Blue
Defender 90 not starting and dash lights remaining on
Couple of days back I tried to start my 1998 defender (300tdi) and all I heard was a click from the starter motor and the engine not turning. I also noticed that even with the key out of the ignition the dash lights (oil, battery, fuel, handbrake) remained on. Even when I disconnected the ignition switch connections the lights stayed on???. Fortunately I have a battery isolator so I can turn everything off when not checking things. I have checked the starter motor earths, fuses, given it a tap with a hammer but the problem remains. The battery is fairly new and its green light is showing so OK. Anyone have any ideas as my landy is now static until I can get it started
Post #590352 5th Jan 2017 1:11pm
dorsetsmith

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

have you checked chaise to body work earth right side underneath

sounds as if you have short cct
Post #590363 5th Jan 2017 1:59pm
quantumfoam

I am going to check and clean all earths again tomorrow but I think maybe I do have a short somewhere as even with all the starter motor cables disconnected and no key in the dash lights still come on
Post #590384 5th Jan 2017 2:59pm
dorsetsmith

the dash lights (oil, battery, fuel, handbrake) all feed from ignition switch connections white wire as per drawing the other thing is the Alternator ex wire can back feed if alternator has failed and diode g126 fail

In the past glow plug time has failed shorted out and it has two feeds and it back feed to the white wire
Post #590413 5th Jan 2017 5:26pm
quantumfoam

Well it took me two days to remove the engine side bolt that held the starter motor on. In the end a cold chisel and specially modified spanner got it moving. Getting it out was a pain in the neck. Bench tested the starter motor and the solenoid works and pushes out the gear but the gear end does not spin which I presume it should (to turn the flywheel). Took the end cap off and the brushes look so I am assuming its something more internal that is preventing the gear spinning. I think I will invest in a new starter motor as I really don't want to get this one working then find in a couple of weeks I end up with the same problem. What do you think?

Also while I order and wait for the new started motor I will begin tracing the electrical fault and let you and the others know what I find. I am however buying a new ignition switch (end part) just to be on the safe side as they are quite cheap.

Just to say I appreciate the help and advice
Post #591237 8th Jan 2017 12:28pm
quantumfoam

Hi everyone. Just to let you know the new starter fitted and Landy fired up no problem. Before starting I did however remove a single electrical wire attached direct from the battery to the raptor panel that previous owner had installed. Once this was removed no dash lights showing and all seems well. So I only need to trace the problem with that single wire. Also fitted a new ignition switch just to be on the safe side. Thanks for all the help
Post #593221 15th Jan 2017 2:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1