↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Can I lower my side runners?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
nick345345

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Baltic Blue
Can I lower my side runners?
Hi there,

I've recently fitted TMD side runners to my 110 (http://tmdtuning.com/shop/tmd-black-side-runners-90110/). They replaced the standard fold down side steps. I really like the look of them, though they are quite high and quite close to the sills, making them hard to actually use.

Has anyone ever managed to modify side steps to lower them and potentially move them out from the sill a bit. I'm thinking of lowering by a couple of inches and out by an inch. Appreciate that will reduce ground clearance and increase the width, but I don't think that's a problem for me.

Just wondered if there was a kit or something? Or if I'll need to find a friendly welder to modify them for me.

Thanks in advance,

Nick
Post #592724 13th Jan 2017 11:29am
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I've had the same problem on 2 successive 110s with factory fitted steps. The 1st 110 didn't have any chequer on the sill so the paint rubbed down to bare metal. Be interestign to see if something can be done.
Post #592730 13th Jan 2017 11:48am
JamesF

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 2.5 TD HT Baltic Blue
I brought some side steps on Ebay that were supposed to fit my defender but when they arrived there was no way the would fit.
I took them to a fabricators in Luton and had the brackets taken off and some fabricated that would fit.
I was expecting it to cost a bit but in the end they only cost me £30.00.
Fitted really well and I had them made so they were an inch lower. The only thing I had to do was redrill a couple of holes. It is well worth doing.
Post #592754 13th Jan 2017 12:51pm
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Hi Nick.
Provided you don't need the runners to support the weight of the vehicle, by the sound of it you don't, then you could make some brackets to reposition them. A 3 or 4mm flat plate bolted onto the existing mounting holes, with similar holes drilled further up, should do it to drop them down. Moving them out could be a bit trickier, depending on how much.
I wouldn't be happy to do this if there's chance of them grounding out offroad. It should be fine though to take the weight of someone using them as side steps.

Before you fit them, take the end caps off the tubes and rust proof the inside with waxoyl or Dinitrol. These type of steps, both genuine and aftermarket, are notorious for rusting from the inside out.

I once looked at modifying side runners to lift them up for more clearance and use them as "rock sliders"
That would have required cutting and welding, so decided against it.
The standard rails are also too weak (thin wall tube) and wouldn't have lasted long if used like that.

Hope that helps.
Post #592823 13th Jan 2017 4:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1