↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Homebrew Santorini Black?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Homebrew Santorini Black?
Gidday all,

I'd like to approximate either Santorini Black, or if that's impossible just a satin/'accessory' black finish on my 110 roof:

Click image to enlarge

I know it looks fine with the Cairns Blue roof, so why? >> Because of some scratches from the previous owners 'adventures' with his roof rack.. Neutral

I have a small silent compressor on hand - not sure if it's got the pep required to keep up pressure across a full spray though:

Click image to enlarge

Is the gloss/clear coat something I can manage at home?

Imagine I'm a complete beginner, but keen to try and have a bit of patience... It is summer down here which is helpful but I'm yet to source a closed in area..

Mostly horizontal surface (that I will not remove) but I will remove some silicon sealant used to solve a possible leak.

What are the steps, tools and considerations or its this just a no go in your respective opinions?

Doesn't need to match Santorini, but at least go in that direction. Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #592334 12th Jan 2017 12:31am
Chopperone

United Kingdom 
I have two compressors one of which looks almost identical to yours.
That really won't work for spraying & you will need water trap etc etc.

IF you are determined to spray it yourself I think you would be better advised to do all the prep work, masking off etc & then let a professional spray it.
The prep work is probably the most important/ labour intensive part so by doing this you can save a fair bit.
Just my two penny worth.
Guy May your life be like toilet paper ; long & useful.
Post #592351 12th Jan 2017 7:55am
mattp

Australia 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Santorini Black
While not an answer to your question exactly I know a guy who used black Plasti-Dip on his roof, and it looked remarkably good. A pretty quick and easy approach, depends how permanent you want it to be I guess.
Post #592353 12th Jan 2017 7:57am
languedoc

Scotland 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alaska White
i went through this on the last 110. in the end i bought a matt grey vinyl wrap kit. I have a barn so we stuck it in there, clay bar and deep cleaned the whole roof and then used a spray bottle with a window cleaning type solution that wrap companies used. Soaked the roof and then used step ladders and lots of swearing between the 2 of us, managed to cover the roof. i took a lot of time with a scraper to smooth it off and it looked very professional in the end.

I'm not sure how long it lasted because i sold it not long after though!
Post #592356 12th Jan 2017 8:10am
agentmulder

Kuwait 
I tried plastidip on something else, results were really disappointing - probably bad prep/application...

So the rack dings have started some corrosion, and I really want to go to town on those areas before it gets any chance to set in. Pretty keen on proper paint vs. plastidip/wrap. Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #592357 12th Jan 2017 8:20am
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Actually, just realised wrap is a different process, will read up on it..

But for the sake of continuity, can we discuss paint only?

Good point re. doing prep myself and farming out the actual paint.

Out of interest though, aside from a gruntier compressor (borrow from work) what is essential? Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #592360 12th Jan 2017 8:27am
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Hello

If I can do a job myself I will, don't like paying out for stuff unless I just cannot do it...

My Sankey trailer I sprayed / painted (as it's a trailer so does not imho need to be 'that' good) my car however..... I would have to give this a professional for spraying..

I had a quote last year (around August to spray my Santorini rood silver) it was £320 as a guide.

Wrapping would work well I would have though easily half the price and not permanent. Think it would be more a 'black' than santorini though in a wrap?
Post #592362 12th Jan 2017 8:38am
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Your compressor is definitely not big enough to cope with even a low consumption spray gun (around 5 cfm). As mentioned above you will also need a water trap. Depending on what type of paint you use you may need breathing apparatus. You must remember that spray painting is an art and not a science and that is why professional spray painters serve a four year apprentice. I'm sorry but with your existing equipment and your skill set you will not achieve anywhere near a professional finish.

If I was living in your part of the World I think I'd be grabbing a beer and enjoying the sunshine and let someone else dress up in overalls and a face mask. Good luck with your project whatever you decide. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #592371 12th Jan 2017 9:05am
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Should have said so earlier: it's got a Festo water trap already..

Here's another way to think about it: aside from the paint cost and time, could I really stuff it up that bad that a painter would have more work fixing up my mess?

I'm willing to just do satin black too if it's simpler.

And FWIW, while there are a couple of notable messes I've created, I tend to do well with DIY stuff. Also, I studied both Architecture and engineering, so I have an awareness of art vs. science (it's not really 'vs.' IMO), and similarly a fair awareness of my limitations in both..

I'd borrow a bigger compressor from work, noisier but will have ample rates and capacity. As for the rest, I like tools, any excuse! Wink

I remember the full battery powered 'spaceman' filter/masks from work years ago.. Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #592396 12th Jan 2017 10:13am
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
^ I See no harm in having a go...

As you say what's the worse that can happen. I decided that on my trailer and did it myself thinking if I make a mess it goes and gets done anyway. Its just your time and some paint.

If your handy and send some time doing the prep I'm sure it will be ok...

Smile
Post #592400 12th Jan 2017 10:33am
Balvaig

Scotland 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Corris Grey
As Stacey007 says no harm in having a go. I have sprayed panels in the past. Really quite difficult to get a really good finish, but as long as you use standard paint then it can always be rubbed down and done again if you are not happy.
Practice first on some spare metal to get your technique as good as you can, and you will need to experiment with the viscosity of the paint to get a good finish.
Happy spraying!
Post #592406 12th Jan 2017 10:49am
agentmulder

Kuwait 
So, with all that discussed... ( Thumbs Up )

How to achieve Santorini Black? Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #592523 12th Jan 2017 6:26pm
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
To get a decent finish around the alpine windows take them out rather than masking them Very Happy 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #592527 12th Jan 2017 6:40pm
Orangesofa

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
When I had my roof wrapped, at the time of collecting it the two chaps who did it didn't look very happy. I cheerfully asked how it went to which they said it was a bl**dy nightmare. Apparently the ribs on the roof, which don't run the full length, created a lot of work for them as they had to shrink the surplus plastic repeatedly and the fairly sharp angles of the ribs made this harder as it couldn't be spread out over a wider area.

He said that he was now wise to this particular problem and would adjust his pricing accordingly for anyone else asking for the same.

One to consider if going down this route! Phil
Post #592560 12th Jan 2017 8:28pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
I had a quote for paint when I was going to spray my sankey

2 pack metallic. The paint code is LRC 820 its Landrover defender santorini black metallic.

1ltr Basecoat £32.95
1ltr 2k thinner £4.95
1 2k Lacquer kit (inc hardener) £14.95

all prices subject to VAT 20%

If required we can mix it while u wait

----------------

forget the name of the company was based in Warrington. If you wish I can ping over the email I had...
Post #592564 12th Jan 2017 8:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>