Home > Puma (Tdci) > will transit 2.4 tdci engine fit defender ok?:
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
nicholas2012

Scotland 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tamar Blue
will transit 2.4 tdci engine fit defender ok?:
Hi am looking for some advice chaps

Am having head/head gasket issues with my 2010 defender which is pressurising the coolant hoses is abit annoying as has only done around 75k and had been running great.

Had been checked for water and header bottle cap hadn't been put back on (not me) but I reckon its been well roasted as have been told it overheated on gauge and kept driving till engine cut out whilst towing a loaded trailer to the market as was nearly there Big Cry
So am thinking I might be better replacing the engine for piece of mind and am wondering if anyone has fitted a 2.4 from a transit as seem more available than defender engines and if it would fit ok without any major alterations?

or if anyone happens to have a good engine lying around or do you think I would be better trying sorting what I have?

Thanks Nicholas
Post #586055 18th Dec 2016 2:04pm
ian series 1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
Basic block and top end are all the same,
Just bolt on all the land Rover anciliries that come off your engine, and swap the sump,
You will need to swap injectors keeping them to the correct cylinder. 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Wanted, Forward Control Anything considered.
Post #586077 18th Dec 2016 3:07pm
nicholas2012

Thanks for the reply Ian have you ever swapped one over from a transit?
I will keep an eye out on ebay for a engine am hoping I can get one for around a £1000 or so
Post #586233 18th Dec 2016 10:48pm
nicholas2012

So has anybody ever put a 2.4 engine from a transit in??
Was searching on google last night and seen somewhere that said power steering pump wouldn't bolt on as holes weren't there on the transit block
Post #586534 20th Dec 2016 2:14pm
ian series 1

I've swapped plenty of transit engines over, but not from transit to defender.
I've got a good low mileage transit engine in strorage for when my 2.4 defender engine gives up!

I could not see any reason why it should not be a straight forward swap?
I will check the power steering bolt holes for you. Wink 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Post #586553 20th Dec 2016 4:01pm
Dreamweapon

Scotland 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Cairns Blue
My own 2008 110 has over 196,000 Kms on the clock (121,000 miles-ish) so I have been keeping an eye on the maximum expected Kms on that type of engine. I have been checking which Transit engine seems to rack up the highest Ks over here in Germany on mobile.de (German Autotrader) and it looks like it is the 140ps 2.4 engine with the VNT turbo and the centrifugal oil filter mounted on the rocker cover, highest I have seen so far is 545000 Kms, with no mention of an exchange engine.
Post #587944 27th Dec 2016 12:09pm
NinetyTD4

Wales 2012 Defender 90 Other SW Keswick Green
With so many variants of ZSD-424 Pumas in Transit and their indistinguishability by optical means, replacing the engine is gambling. It may work, but the outcome is unpredictable. I never checked the outside of Pumas, but was told some do have even there subtle differences.

Where wonderland begins is at the inner parts. I once tried to figure out which crankshaft, piston and con rod bearings of a Transit would suit as parts for a Defender repair and was absolutely unable to identify them in the parts list jungle. My Ford shop also denied me support, because they didn't even know how to look and if there are parts equivalent to Defender parts.

The local independent engine repair shop told me they have to specify for i.e. crankshafts the engine serial, actual HP and frame when ordering. They told me crankshafts, pistons and most of the inner parts are hardened to individual fit and especially pistons are fabricated from a wealth of different alloys, looking indistinguishable, which is why they always fear to take the wrong parts when more than one set is on the benches.

Maybe we have an engine mechanic from Land Rover here to shine some more light into this, with the production now stopped? Never forget: cars have owner, Landrover have field service personnel.
Post #590879 7th Jan 2017 3:16am
nicholas2012

Thanks for replys, am still no further forward with getting an engine i could buy a new bare engine without manifolds etc but is 2.5k+vat
or a second hand one out a damaged defender for 1500 or so from a breakers
As still dont know about the transit engine for sure but i think they are abit cheaper from looking on ebay.
Post #590901 7th Jan 2017 10:36am
Froglaise

£2.5k does not sound bad, where's that from?

Personally I'm hoping my 2.4 lasts until there is a viable electric conversion for every vehicle on the road. I figure 7-10yrs from now electric will suddenly be cheaper option when changing engines.
The future if we want it or not although all those greenies don't seem to understand the electricity has to be generated somehow....
Post #590932 7th Jan 2017 12:41pm
nicholas2012

Its the cheapest i've seen from a company called mdengineering so might just go with it as am meaning to keep the defender a long time anyway
I'm getting some slagging off ma pals saying i should just sell up and buy a hilux Rolling with laughter
Youre probably right electric power will be the way to go in the future if it becomes cheap enough to afford
Post #590949 7th Jan 2017 1:23pm
Jukathy

2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
NinetyTD4 wrote:
The local independent engine repair shop told me they have to specify for i.e. crankshafts the engine serial, actual HP and frame when ordering. They told me crankshafts, pistons and most of the inner parts are hardened to individual fit and especially pistons are fabricated from a wealth of different alloys, looking indistinguishable, which is why they always fear to take the wrong parts when more than one set is on the benches.

Hi NinetyTD

I confirm this. Engine parts look similar although properties can be quite different (thanks to computer based logistics)
I'd therefore not swap around between different engine types / manufacturers.

Best quality shall chiefly serve as a replacement part (i.e. only one quality is being held in stock)
Presumably Ford/JLR supply the best quality (i.e. same spares) but quality could also differ. Very difficult ...

Best - Juliet
Post #591047 7th Jan 2017 7:48pm
Mash

Guernsey 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Nato Green
Ok this is from memory reading something a long time ago, so I might be talking b Censored s. I can't remember what Land Rover platform it was but the question was asked if a similar engine could be used from another vehicle, same basic block etc, some of the posts did indicate that the lump put in the Land Rover had additional oil galleries added to help counter oil starvation at extreme angles. I don't know if this was true or even if it would matter as very few on here push their defenders to the limit as normaly their bottle goes before the defender hits its limit.

Just thought I'd add that in just in case the info I read was correct, hate to see all the trouble of fitting an engine and your first off road jaunt kills it. 90 wolf - Jasmin http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic39408.html
90 V8 - Maggie http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic42564.html
110 TD5 - Buggsy http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic59029.html
52HG25 lightweight https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic72342.html
D3 Hse - Fiona
Capri 2l S - Anna

Think I might have a problem............
Post #591080 7th Jan 2017 9:14pm
ian series 1

It was the shape of the sump that changed, prop shaft would hit otherwise.
I think there were baffles requested by LR aswell?

As long as it's the right spec MK7 transit engine with piston cooling jets, and set up for VVT it will be a simple swap.

I've got a spare 140 ps from a 2010 transit ready to go in my Defender, should mine give up. Wink 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Post #591087 7th Jan 2017 9:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1