↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Stolen > Jaguar Land Rover worker stole car parts worth £2 MILLION
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Arc99 - great story Thumbs Up

Trying to think of the film where the bloke nicks a steel girder by tying it underneath his car and driving through the front gates - is it the Full Monty?

It would be interesting to argue the value of the parts - retail vs cost.
Post #421530 6th May 2015 11:15am
zone30

Belgium 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 X-Tech LE Nara Bronze
When I was young I heard of a story about a guy who trafficked mercury through the harbor border. They knew about it but could never catch him doing it. Till one day, he rode his bike to the gates, like he always did, but dropped it and couldn't get it back up...
Post #421545 6th May 2015 12:06pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
When I lived in Oxford it was rumoured that someone stole an entire Metro 6R4 rally car from Cowley Works in man-handleable sized pieces. Whether it is true or not, I couldn't say. It wasn't unknown apparently for complete engines etc to be carried out through the gate in the middle of a group of men.

Then there's the famous story of the wheelbarrows.....
Post #421551 6th May 2015 12:53pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
I'd have had a go for a metro 6r4, they were bonkers! Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #421561 6th May 2015 1:38pm
alby

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Santorini Black
At the place where my brother works there's a welder who makes gates and railings and other garden ironwork to order....

In the company's workshop, on their time, with their steel

He's rumoured to get away with it because they're really very nicely made indeed, and he's made them for most of management having waived his usual fee
Post #422997 12th May 2015 8:42pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Update
rustyboxx wrote:
Morepower wrote:
Surely the courts should seize all the accused's property (inc house etc if proven guilty)... and sell it to repay some/all of the debt...

If the prosecution team have got their act together they will also be using the Proceeds of crime act. This gives the judge the opportunity to levy an additional fine based on the money made out of the crime.

Having been involved in a case where we used this Act, I can vouch for its effectiveness in relieving the perp of a significant sum Cool

It takes a while...but they got there in the end:

"A Jaguar Land Rover employee who stole car parts worth up to £2million from the company’s Gaydon site has been ordered to pay more than £260,000 in compensation.

Disgraced former logistics co-ordinator Simon Wensley, who had used his own automotive business as a cover to sell the stolen parts, is currently serving a five-year jail term.

Wensley, aged 56, of Kingsbury Road, Coundon, had denied the theft and two fraud charges, but was convicted after a four-week trial at Warwick Crown Court in May last year.

On that occasion a hearing under the Proceeds of Crime Act was adjourned for a police financial investigation into his assets to be carried out.

When that had been completed, the court heard that Wensley, who had maintained his innocence despite the verdicts, did not accept the findings.

But after further discussions on the day the Proceeds of Crime Act hearing was due to take place, prosecutor Rupert Jones and Wensley’s barrister Ben Williams said figures had been agreed.

Mr Jones said Wensley’s benefit from the thefts had been a total of £846,860 and, taking into account a share in the value of the marital home, his assets totalled £260,261.

So Judge Stephen Eyre QC made a confiscation order in that amount under the Proceeds of Crime Act.

He ordered it to be paid in full within three months, with Wensley facing an additional three years in jail in default, and to be used to pay compensation to JLR Gaydon.

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/cove...r-12370875
Post #587902 27th Dec 2016 8:24am
Pilgrimmick

United Kingdom 
rustyboxx wrote:
Morepower wrote:
Surely the courts should seize all the accused's property (inc house etc if proven guilty)... and sell it to repay some/all of the debt...

If the prosecution team have got their act together they will also be using the Proceeds of crime act. This gives the judge the opportunity to levy an additional fine based on the money made out of the crime.

Having been involved in a case where we used this Act, I can vouch for its effectiveness in relieving the perp of a significant sum Cool

Unfortunately the Proceeds of Crime Act has not been as effective as hoped and most people who take, even simple precautions will never have to pay a penny. 80" 1948
Lightweight V8
Bowler Tomcat
130 Station wagon
90 300tdi
(Santana PS10 pick up)
Range Rover L322 (Ful fat)
Post #587909 27th Dec 2016 9:20am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12