↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Stolen > Stolen Green Puma 110, Bell Busk, 22nd Aug -tracker jammed?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
party monkey

England 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Cairns Blue
Stolen Green Puma 110, Bell Busk, 22nd Aug -tracker jammed?
Originally posted on the LandyWatch facebook page,

Quote:
Had my landrover defender 110 XS in Galway green, reg PK11 KOJ stolen in middle of night from bell busk near skipton north yorks on Weds 22nd August. Got round skytag tracker and clutch claw and came knowing what they wanted in my opinion...please can you keep an eye out for it/parts....had Hillendale wheel cover, and orvis fishing rods and Gear and canon eos 600d camera Gear in back, as well as dog box....shame a big dog was not left in...absolutely devastated and hanging is too good for them.

Quote:
....suspect they bought one of those jammers off eBay...cheeky sods apparently plug it into cig lighter, after removing ECU and putting one in they bring, ALSo off eBay, with matching key....the clutch claw can be prised open with some device that uses water pressure, according to a site I read....skytag were helpful but at a loss to explain what they think happened.....take care with yours!

Looks like the tracker was beaten by suspected jamming (It was a Skytag, but could have been any that rely on only GSM/GPRS to communicate ....)

Not all jammers plug into the 12v socket either. Many are portable. Still, might not hurt to be able to isolate the power supply to any 12v sockets in the vehicle I guess.

Piccy Jon - 110 td5 [sold]. Currently Defenderless.
Post #262802 1st Sep 2013 9:06am
me@td5.org

2000 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Most jammers work only on the 3 triband frequencies, avoiding 900/1800/1900mhz for comms will make it less likely to be blocked.

Also not having any "Tracker" stickers would be a good plan. After all it is a better tool for recovery than it is a deterrent if they know that they need to and how to block it. www.td5.org
Post #262863 1st Sep 2013 2:04pm
Sockpuppet

United Kingdom 
This is the reason I'm getting a tracker fitted to the new puma - but opting for one that doens't just rely on GSM/GPS. We have these in the vehicles at work and in Central London will often report a position of ~300 meters away from where it really is driving up the middle of the Thames etc. Even the supplier accepts its a well known Canyon Effect. These tracking boxes are made by Qinetic who know a thing or two about GPS.

Even when I did my years for Her Majesty (not at her pleasure! Whistle ) we were never allowed to use "civvy" GPS devices because they can be fooled so damn easily.

Been thinking about security for a while because I'm paranoid and when mine arrives I'll do some measuring up and show you all what I had in mind.
Post #262891 1st Sep 2013 4:31pm
me@td5.org

2000 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Oh, the GPS can be jammed pretty easily too as well as the GPRS/GSM used for data. GPS jammers tend to be used primarily in navigation systems/tracker hence the volume of jammers. The greater impact of jamming GPS is where it is used in time synchronisation for protection and control systems.

Certainly companies, like Qinetiq are using other ways of tracking things apart from GPS (such as in the Bushman System), in particular in battlefield where a location inside a building is important. www.td5.org

Last edited by me@td5.org on 1st Sep 2013 4:45pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #262892 1st Sep 2013 4:42pm
pjb

Sockpuppet wrote:

Been thinking about security for a while because I'm paranoid.

+1

As suggested going for multiple approach move obd port & going to look at moving alarm sounder or making it very difficult to get at plus tracker and may be a cut off switch in the fuel circuit & probably a pedal lock 2020 P300 HSE
Post #262893 1st Sep 2013 4:44pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Sockpuppet wrote:
This is the reason I'm getting a tracker fitted to the new puma - but opting for one that doens't just rely on GSM/GPS.

when mine arrives I'll do some measuring up and show you all what I had in mind.

Any more info on system to be used?
Post #266510 14th Sep 2013 6:38am
party monkey

England 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Cairns Blue
I've no idea what Sockpuppet has in mind but the 'Tracker' brand uses VHF as an extra layer

http://www.tracker.co.uk/for-your-vehicle/

Whilst this gets around the jamming issue, in the past you then had the issue (so I'm told) that VHF works on a limited range and line of sight basis and you were totally reliant on a police car/helicopter with suitable receiving equipment to be in the vicinity of the stolen car to pick up the VHF signal.

Then the clever bods at Tracker developed the 'Mesh' network http://www.tracker.co.uk/products/the-tracker-mesh-network/ which then piggy backs the VHF ping through other 'Tracker' trackers fitted to other cars on the road, increasing the range and chance of a receiver equipped police vehicle picking up the signal.

I think the mesh network is limited to certain products in their range but the links should give you the info you need.

HTH Jon - 110 td5 [sold]. Currently Defenderless.
Post #266531 14th Sep 2013 8:03am
Sockpuppet

United Kingdom 
Yep, tracker locate. I got a 25% off by asking nicely as well Smile

Not fitted yet, just arranging a fitting date.
Post #266677 14th Sep 2013 5:51pm
Harry dog

England 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Long time since the post that I'm replying to, but I would interested to know how your tacker is doing? I'm looking into this whole thing at the moment and Tracker Locate seems to make sense to me due to the vhf. But I was told yesterday by one of the suppliers of both the tracker locate and other brands that vhf wouldn't be supported on trackers from 2018 and the police maybe phasing out its use as well?!

PM me if you'd prefer not to discuss on an open forum.

Thanks
Harry
Post #583417 8th Dec 2016 8:55am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1