↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Corrosion Prevention Guide!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 42 of 84 <123 ... 414243 ... 828384>
Print this entire topic · 
arran jones

United Kingdom 
Hi all

I've just ordered 2 bottles of acf-50, for corrosion prevention,

Can I spray it under the bonnet??
Also would it stop aluminium corrosion???

I guess it would need spraying on all the hinges, bolts etc

Please help!! Very Happy

Many thanks
Post #583023 6th Dec 2016 9:46am
arran jones

United Kingdom 
Also would the acf-50 wash off if I pressure wash my car or would it not affect it??
Post #583024 6th Dec 2016 9:49am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Arran, the use of ACF-50 and possible places for it,s application are on the first page (any brackets etc, engine heat is not a problem). The aerosol is better as mentioned as it sprays under the cappings with decent pressure. The pump bottles are next to useless.

ACF-50 was designed to prevent electrolysis in aluminium planes where different metals came into contact. Yes if you have the jet nozzle near enough it will take off the ACF-50. Treat a couple of times a year but have a look on the first page of this thread it should explain your questions Thumbs Up
Post #583330 7th Dec 2016 9:01pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
arran jones

United Kingdom 
Cool,

Thanks very much, I have ordered 2 spray bottles and hopefully they should arrive tomorrow

Thanks a lot

Aj
Post #583352 7th Dec 2016 9:37pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
ChrisDefender wrote:
Thanks for getting my little 90 sorted last weekend, top job.

A long way for me to travel, but well worth it.

Thanks again for all your help and advice,

Cheers

Chris

Pleasure Chris. I now have some Yorkshire wood chip to add to the Irish peat, French sand, Cornish clay, Highland manure and Devon red mud that comes out of everyone's chassis to help my tatties grow Very Happy
Post #583813 10th Dec 2016 8:28am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
arran jones

United Kingdom 
Hello again,

Does this ACF-50 stop rust aswell or just corrosion?????

Many thanks
AJones
Post #585071 14th Dec 2016 5:57pm
arran jones

United Kingdom 
Hello again,

Does this ACF-50 stop rust aswell or just corrosion?????

Many thanks
AJones
Post #585072 14th Dec 2016 5:58pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Arran I will let ACF-50 answer that one if you Google it. Have a look on their website to understand their meaning of "stop" and actually how ACF-50 works. It kind of lifts and seperates affected areas of rust on metal and corrosion of alloys. It explains the active process in far more detail than I can here Thumbs Up

Here you go, the explanation and even a video from ACF-50 Thumbs Up

http://www.acf-50.co.uk/acf-50.htm
Post #585332 15th Dec 2016 3:56pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
With the next Defender due in on the 2nd Jan I finally have my lift free to do my own car a 1977 SAAB 96. Having peeled the original underseal off the floor pan it is largely rust free but for a few small bits of surface rust. I will be using Dinitrol Corroheat for those interested which is a fairly new product that is totally clear and goes hard (although it can chip). I have used this on other classic cars that are mint underneath including 20 year old rust free Supra imports.

The thinking behind this is that you can keep an eye on what is happening underneath and it only really works for Defenders that are only used on the road and are near new/mint but just thought I would let you know about it. The usual Dinitrol underbody is more suited to Defenders HOWEVER I would avoid getting it plastered on thick as some do as you really need to check what is happening and at some point it will have to come off again. Defender chassis metal is not primed properly from new and they rot from behind the porous paint. However methodically you treat existing rust you will not be able to stop all of it 100%, you would need to take the chassis off, blast it and galvanise it for that. Some companies even offer a rock coating just sealing in the rust for good Rolling Eyes Also once compromised thick coatings just hold water in constantly which rots metal far quicker than if there was no protection at all. Easy for someone to simply plaster the underside but it,s really not great long term. It,s far better to keep the coating light and check on the metal every four years or so depending on vehicle use!

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #588934 31st Dec 2016 10:46am
justinp

United Kingdom 
Hi Chaps,

The rear crossmember on my 2012 110 DC is looking like it needs some TLC.

Having scanned this thread, I believe the products I need are ACF-50 and then Dinitrol 4941.

Will a single aerosol can of each be sufficient to do my cross member?

Before applying he ACF-50, can I wet and dry the cross member to flatten off any corrosion?

Can Dinitrol 4941 be sprayed directly over ACF-50, or do I need a primer?

Many thanks - Justin
Post #591340 8th Jan 2017 5:47pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
You have scanned and misread the advice Justin. ACF-50 is great for the outside of your crossmember but not if you put Dinitrol 4941 on it. It won,t go hard properly the two do not mix, one is petroleum based the other epoxy based so the Dinitrol won,t set. I would not put 4941 on the rear crossmember. Most just treat with ACF-50 otherwise you need to treat as any other rusty metal e.g. Rub back rust, treat rust, prime and top coat. Many paint products suitable for this...
Post #591686 9th Jan 2017 9:35pm
justinp

United Kingdom 
Hi Zagata, thanks for you're reply. Will KURUST, a rattle can of primer & satin black top coat from halfords do the trick, or should I go for something a more exotic?

(I've fully read the thread to page 10/42, and I'm still none the wiser)
Post #591713 9th Jan 2017 10:28pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Hi Justin. Yes that will do a job, just make sure you take off as much rust as possible before treatment. Thumbs Up
Post #591885 10th Jan 2017 6:21pm
Fat Cog

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Another great rust prevention intervention job by Chris 'Zagato' on my lovely LR...thanks for all your efforts, despite your slipped disc...hope you're feeling better!!! Since 1973...S1, Air Portable's, Defender's, but only my Wolf TUL HS GS remains
Post #594610 19th Jan 2017 11:13pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Many thanks Waddy Thumbs Up

This is one of the few decent pictures of yours that came out OK. This is after the clean, rust rubbed back and treated and a thin layer of ML applied BEFORE the Underbody 4941 went on.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #594770 20th Jan 2017 5:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 42 of 84 <123 ... 414243 ... 828384>