↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Puma, no windscreen air/limited knob operation- Resolved!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Alien

Australia 
Puma, no windscreen air/limited knob operation- Resolved!
My vent control knob had stopped rotating to the windscreen position.
Air flow to other positions was there but not as it should have been.

Turns out the lever mechanism on the rear of the control dial had jumped out of its track.
This was evidenced with no control cable movment.
To remove its only 4 screws, 2 electrical plugs and 4 cables after the centre dash facia is removed for access.
Take note of how the cables fit and thier positions, don't ask Whistle
I carfully slipped the pin back into its track, see picture for how it should be.

Click image to enlarge
 Cheers,
Kyle.
Post #582575 4th Dec 2016 7:53am
OleDave

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Indus Silver
Hi Kyle.

Thank you for the post on the heater probelm you had, my problem is very similar, however, I can get it to windscreen and then rotate it to its next position anti clockwise to floor vent but thats it as it will not go any further, its impossible to turn the switch to face vents or beyond as it comes to a dead stop and will not move any further, in the spring I will have the centre facia off and have a look at what you have suggested as its not as big a job as removing the complete dash to access the heater, fingers crossed its the same problem you had? if it is I will buy you a pint !!!

Many thanks for your post. Will let you know what I find in the spring when I have a bash at it.

Regards

Ole Dave
Post #582593 4th Dec 2016 9:21am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Alien

Australia 
G'day Ole Dave,
The rotary dial has 2 cables attached to it.
It is possible yours has possibly jumped the other side of the dial than mine(it's just visible in the bottom of the picture).
It'll be interesting to see what yours has done when you get to it. Cheers,
Kyle.
Post #582606 4th Dec 2016 10:30am
OleDave

Hi Kyle and much thanks for the reply.

Well I am praying that your spot on as I have put up with the situation going on 4 years as I just dreaded removing the dash which has put me off and made me tolerate it, but if thats the problem and its an easy fix I will be over the moon. At the moment it does not matter which of the two only positions you use air comes out all over the place!!

If it was not so cold I would go and have a go today but with this weather I cannot face freezing my butt off to find out lol.

Many thanks, its such a simple a problem it could be just what you say, looks more and more like I owe you a pint lol.

Dave
Post #582615 4th Dec 2016 11:21am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
sconie

United Kingdom 
Resurrecting an old thread, I discovered the same problem with my vent dial today. Did you find the same fault when you got the dashboard off?
Post #812539 29th Jan 2020 7:25pm
OleDave

Hi Sconie, sorry for the delay in a reply, havent been on the forum for some time so didnt see your post.

Being honest and truthful with you I never did get around to stripping the heater controls off as I left it until I felt in the mood to pull it all apart, which did not happen! however, recently I did phone Bearmach to find out what a new heater control would cost only to discover that the control itself could not be bought, to the get the flap control knob you had to buy the complete issue with levers, cost £155!!!

It is on my list to do when the weather gets better, its my next job in fact on the landy as I am sick of air coming out of every vent other than the one I want, so it will be looked at soon, I am convinced that the problem is the control knob as it stops dead, when operated it comes up against a a brick wall and no amount of of prersuasion will make it move past that.

I will post the result once I have found the motivation to strip it.

Regards

Ole Dave
Post #812674 30th Jan 2020 11:52am
sconie

United Kingdom 
Thanks for the reply Oledave, likewise it's not a major issue and with the list of upgrades on my wish list it may be some time before I get there too. Obviously not an isolated incident though, just another land rover quirk lol. Cheers again.
Post #812677 30th Jan 2020 12:09pm
OleDave

Hi again sconie, yes your correct there were other more important things on the menu, one was biting the bullet and looking at a possible remap of the old girl as when towing the caravan her 122hp just does not cut the mustard when overtaking or climbing long steep hills.

So I eventually and after much debate with myself bought the Alive Tuning Atrics computer and a stage 1 remap, after coupling up the Atrics just for a look at the screen I needed a clean pair of pants as the message on screen said do not disconnect!!! After about 10 mins the screen said done, my fear was would it fire up? Yep she started on the button so I decided to test drive it to see if there was any change in performance, being honest driving away from the house she was as docile as ever which made me think this has done nowt!! I got onto the duel carriageway and put the pedal down, nothing seemed to be any different.......until I hit 1800 rpm! Gulp, the old girl took off like a prize racehorse and flew through the gears.

The only down side is it seems to hang onto the rpm if your shifting, it doesn't do it at low speeds, I have been meaning to discuss this with Alive but as yet haven't got around to it, but it's a different vehicle now and pulls the caravan like it's not coupled up which is just what was needed.

The old girl is going in for a full service in February and a change of aux belt So the heater control is next me thinks after that?

Regards

Oledave
Post #812686 30th Jan 2020 1:17pm
Badger110

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Buckingham Blue
sconie wrote:
Resurrecting an old thread, I discovered the same problem with my vent dial today. Did you find the same fault when you got the dashboard off?

Mine does the same, when i stripped it out, the lug which holds one of the cables has snapped off.
Post #812792 30th Jan 2020 10:25pm
sconie

United Kingdom 
Thanks for the reply, I'll update the thread when I get round to fixing it.. Lol 😂
Post #812793 30th Jan 2020 10:33pm
sconie

United Kingdom 
Had a go at this today as I was running a usb cable. The rear lug had came out, I wriggled it back in but the way it's set up any pressure and it pops out readily. Whilst there I noticed the cable that opens and shuts the fresh air circulation has bent itself, this again was a poor design and it took some wd40 and pulling from under the bonnet side to get the cable moving. Iv'e left it on the fresh air side however as with the bend in the cable it's now to weak to push the cable back through to re-open if I close it. Not great but it will do until I can figure out a better repair.
The air flow dial now turns all the way to the left, however it now only turns part way to the right so not allowing full windscreen demisting.
Really poor design behind the dash, but I'll get round to finishing it and update the forum in case it helps someone else.

Cheers
Sconie
Post #813673 4th Feb 2020 10:27pm
BenB8man

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
That'd be great. I'd pretty much accepted that I would always get fresh air and no re-circulation. Thumbs Up
Post #813677 4th Feb 2020 10:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1