↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Road oriented tyres for 16", what you got?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Road oriented tyres for 16", what you got?
Gidday all,

So I have mud tyres (BFG MT 235/85/R16) on wolf steels and I was looking at my left over boosts thinking I could put some road oriented tyres on them for the times I know I'll be on the road for longer periods. May as well save the tread on the MTs and also maybe get some better MPG and grip with something smoother (right?).

I know folk often opt for 18" wheels for this reason, but I'd rather just clean up the boosts as I have them already and also get them powder coated black - there are some quite fetching examples down the road that have inspired me.

So what tyres would you recommend for a 16" wheel riding on asphalt for the most part ?

Simply an AT, or is there something more 'roadish' that fits quite well with a standard/non-ABS Defender 110 SW (puma)? Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #580316 25th Nov 2016 8:52am
Froglaise

Don't know for sure if they are available in the size you want but on my pick-up I changed to Bridgestone Dueler H/P sports on 16 inch rims last year and they transformed it on the road. Very grippy dry and wet. Only got 12k miles out of them but all road driving too fast. They have a extra load rating so no issue fully loaded and towing. If my Defender was going to be doing more road work I'd swap to them again no question. Not cheap mind you...
Post #580321 25th Nov 2016 9:22am
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
What about something like the General Grabber TR or AT?
The TR hasn't got a great reputation for off road grip but seems to last well. AT probably more of an all rounder.

In a similar line to the AT you've got the Cooper AT3 which a tyre I'd strongly consider for my uses but it probably won't last as long as a TR.
Post #580325 25th Nov 2016 9:36am
CarMan

United Kingdom 
Very happy with my Cooper AT3's and sensible money, though have no experience yet of longevity Rob

1993 200tdi 90 hard-top
1998 300tdi 90 soft-top
2016 2.2 XS 90 hard-top
Post #580328 25th Nov 2016 9:41am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
To be honest, I've found the BFG AT to be no noisier and no worse on fuel than a road tyre of the same size. Current set has been on for 14 months and 40k miles so far and are not yet half worn, so good value for money. Regularly returns 32mpg so the tyres are not limiting that. Yes they will lock up in the wet, but I find the easiest way around that is not to drive like a tit.

I wouldn't go back to road tyres in 235/85/R16. In 7.50R16 there are fewer choices and I would run a road pattern in that size over the more off-road biased ones available.
Post #580333 25th Nov 2016 10:07am
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Thanks for the suggestions - looking in to them now.

I should have asked what size/width/aspect is best to optimise road driving on a defender with 16" wheels?

Although not ideal, I guess if 'need' be, I'm not against going off size in terms of speedo/gearing (much). ( Neutral ) Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #580335 25th Nov 2016 10:22am
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
You can't put 7.50s (or at least it's against manufacturer's recommendations) on Boost because the Boosts are too wide. Fine on Wolfs though. 7.50s give good grip for me at least, pushing it hard round corners they squeal and if I floor it whilst leaving a wet roundabout I get some understeer. Because they're narrow they have low rolling resistance, and according to my diagnostics tool they're actually slightly taller than 235s. That seems backwards to me (a part worn one measures 31.5" across) but if that is the case then it will add to a low rolling resistance.

Going wider will get you more sideways grip for cornering.
Post #580404 25th Nov 2016 2:34pm
BigWheels

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Cupboard wrote:
What about something like the General Grabber TR or AT?
The TR hasn't got a great reputation for off road grip but seems to last well. AT probably more of an all rounder.

In a similar line to the AT you've got the Cooper AT3 which a tyre I'd strongly consider for my uses but it probably won't last as long as a TR.

I have TRs. Fine for snow and some mud. Bought because reasonably quiet and C rating for wet roads. My LR has traction control. Land Rover Defenders. 67 years heritage, minimal appearance changes, still going strong all over the world. Not a fashion vehicle, but fashionable to own. Made for the needy, not the greedy. Ta ta Defender
Post #582423 3rd Dec 2016 5:10pm
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
Cooper AT3 for me. I do a lot of fast roads änd find them better than the Conti ATs
Post #582432 3rd Dec 2016 5:43pm
Vogler

Belgium 2015 Defender 110 Td5 HT Chawton White
Cooper AT3's here too (235's). I only have experience with those and General Super All Grip Radials. The latter were horrible in the wet but with the AT3's however, I have never experienced slipperiness. I have total confidence in them even in heavy rain. I have driven for two days through pouring weather in Norway in August, and even on wet cobblestones they feel reassuring.The Coopers are said to be All Terrain although they have a very civilised profile at first sight and are very silent. I have done a couple of roadbooks with them and only needed help from a Defender with muds twice. Once because I bottomed out and got stuck in tractor ruts, the other time down on a slope of a very wet meadow with slippery mud under a fine layer of wet grass - were I felt a bit ashamed Embarassed .

This pic gives a good impression of them on our Defender:

Click image to enlarge

Average fuel consumption of our 110 Td5 on AT3's as shown on this photograph is 10,3l/100km or 27mpg with a minimum of 9.37l/100km or 30mpg.

Here's when I needed help:

Click image to enlarge

Not of importance to the OP, but the Coopers did very well in the sandy dunes of Marquanterre. One club member kept thinking that our car had lockers!

Greetings,

Joris
Post #582448 3rd Dec 2016 6:34pm
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Quote:
a slope of a very wet meadow with slippery mud under a fine layer of wet grass

I know that one Embarassed

Just keep sliding backwards until the fence...

I was expecting a road tyre instead of an AT, but it looks like the AT3 gets the popular vote. I'm sold, just need to get the boosts coated now Wink Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #582509 3rd Dec 2016 9:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1