↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Oh dear - Hi Lux Elk Test Fail
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Oh dear - Hi Lux Elk Test Fail
I'm staggered that car companies keep scoring own goals like this. This test has embarrassed so many car makers over the years you'd think it would be a standard requirement to pass before they sign it off for production. With ESC standard on everything it shouldn't be hard.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/if-you-ow...all-costs/ 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #573605 26th Oct 2016 7:17pm
Green Machine

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
Be interesting to see how a Defender would behave under the same test conditions. Not too great I suspect, although all the weight is low down so perhaps better than I'm imagining. Interesting to see how the other big pickups fair in the video, the Amarok in particular looks very composed. Perhaps due to more passenger-car-derived suspension than some of the others? 2005 Td5 | 90 Station Wagon | Tonga Green
Post #573607 26th Oct 2016 7:24pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I recall there was a video of a Defnder doing this test and it wasn't good at all, but it seems to have vanished off the net.

You could sort of forgive the Defender based on the age of its design, but folk buying a new Hi Lux won't be making any allowances and expect it to behave. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #573608 26th Oct 2016 7:27pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
The Defender was only the third car ever to fail the Elk test back in 2007. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #573616 26th Oct 2016 7:55pm
Vogler

Belgium 2015 Defender 110 Td5 HT Chawton White
Some pics of the crashed defender and a short article in dutch here:
http://www.autoblog.nl/archive/2007/06/19/...eland-test

Greetings,

Joris
Post #573646 26th Oct 2016 9:05pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Not surprised. I wonder how you explain that to the hire company?

Also a little surprised to see that the handbrake drum isn't painted black. Perhaps the additional weight of the paint at the centre of gravity would have kept it upright?

Al good to see a further safety feature on the defender you don't often hear about.....the windscreen fell out to aid egress Mr. Green
Post #573734 27th Oct 2016 10:29am
Riccarton

Scotland 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Zambezi Silver
I have to wonder what sort of tarmac they're using to be able to generate such grip Shocked if they're on std tyres. Even mid summer my 90 HT looses traction long before becoming topple ready and my friends new Hilux understeers for fun - he envys how well my 90 turns in by comparison.

I'd like to see a brake test on the same piece of tarmac and compare it to real world distances Thumbs Up
Post #573767 27th Oct 2016 12:55pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I have no doubt whatsoever that if I was to brake hard and swerve sharply to the right at the same time my Defender would roll over just like that - it is why I would never do it!

I don't quite understand the purpose of the so-called "elk test". As far as I can tell it is a flimsy excuse to see if performing an irrational manoeuvre at speed will cause a car to roll, rather than an attempt to simulate a sensible emergency evolution.

No doubt someone will now assert that if an elk jumps out from the side of the road in front of me and moons, I will brake and swerve, but I like to think that if I am driving in a place where there is the possibility of an elk doing this I will have moderated my speed to the extent that I can avoid the elk without rolling the vehicle.

What hapeened to "anticipation" and "defensive driving"?
Post #573770 27th Oct 2016 1:08pm
Riccarton

Scotland 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Zambezi Silver
Sorry but I don't consider 37mph to be an excessive speed on an open road where deer (instead of elk or moose) might be present.

Also, I think it's always the 2nd change of direction that causes the issue due to the increased load transfer. Having said that it's probably safer without abs although you may exit stage left into the scenery! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post #573788 27th Oct 2016 3:29pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
^^ There's plenty opf evidence that 37mph is quite fast enough to flip a Defender (and several other vehicle types).

Perhaps the "elk test" should become part of the driving test!

If I genuinely felt that there was a serious likelihood of livestock on the road, or running onto the road (which is not unusual in the areas where I drive) and no realistic mitigation strategy (such as driving further from the edge of the road) then I would not be travelling at 37mph.
Post #573794 27th Oct 2016 4:21pm
Gonarezhou

South Africa 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Alaska White
On a project I worked on the Hilux became known as the Rollux ...... in my opinion though 90% of roll overs were due to inexperienced or bad driving. For the Defender I find the standard 235 tyres and anti-roll bars + shocks a bit wobbly!
Post #573915 28th Oct 2016 7:55am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1