↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Australia & New Zealand > 4WD Route from Canberra to Melbourne?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
dantastic

United Kingdom 
4WD Route from Canberra to Melbourne?
I will be driving from Canberra to Melbourne early March next year. I have about 4 days to cover the distance and was hoping to rent a 4x4 with camping gear. I'm just not sure about the route.

The Kosciuszko Alpine Way looks like a nice drive but you end up in Albury and then it's just motorway all the way to Melbourne.
What other options are there?
Post #572764 23rd Oct 2016 7:04am
Alien

Australia 
There is lots of options from sealed roads to hard core 4x4 tracks.
For a touring route as a single vehicle without the need for recovery gear the following is part of a trip I did a few years ago.

From Canberra use the Monaro through Cooma and on to Bombala, all sealed but lots to keep you interested(we spotted wild brumbies).
Just out of Bombala head through Delegate before turning off to Dellicknora/Tubbut and onto McKillops Bridge.
http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/explore/parks/sn...lop-bridge
If you camp by the river but beware it can rise VERY quickly so don't camp in the river bed, good camping as per the link(it may be a bit far for day 1).
From McKillops follow the narrow dirt road and stop at the George and Little River falls to the end.
Turn left to head south on the blacktop through Gelantipy and turn of towards Mount Nugong, an option is to not turn and head to Buchan.
http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/explore/parks/buchan-at-cave-reserve
Either way there is some nice camping around Nugong High Plains.
From the NHP continue towards The Great Alpine Way stoping at Washington Winch and Moscow Villa.
If your tight for time head south towards Bruthen and your @4hours from Melbourne.
If wanting to continue at The Alpine Way turn right towards Omeo for supplies.
From Omeo subject to time I'd go 1 of 3 ways...
-(longest)Omeo/Hotham/Dargo (with a detour to camp at Grant or Taboltvile)/Stratford/Sale/Melbourne.
-(shortest)Omeo/Hotham/Bright/Porepunka(detour to camp in Buckland Valley or visit Mt Buffalo http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/explore/parks/mo...ional-park /Myrteford/GlenRowan/Melbourne.
-(+@2Hr from above)Omeo/Falls Creek/Mt Beauty(camping spots off this road)/Bright/as per above from here.

This doesn't include places like the iconic Mount Blue Rag Tk between Hotham and Dargo or Billy Goat Tk out of Dargo.
For a first timer in the High Country I'd recommend company for those 2 tracks, if it's on weekend there may be company available to do them.
The other consideration is rent a 4x4 with out camping gear, use Bombala(or Delegate)/Buchan/Omeo(or Dargo/Bright) as stops in cabins.
Of course you could just go from Buchan to Lakes Entrance to get a tastes of both the High Country and the coast.
I know, to many options Laughing

Cheers, Kyle. Cheers,
Kyle.
Post #572991 24th Oct 2016 3:50am
Alien

Australia 
I should add the above roads are a mix of black top and well formed dirt roads
While a non 4x4 could do this trip having the extra ground clearance for pot holes and ability to do the odd side trip could be handy. Cheers,
Kyle.
Post #573000 24th Oct 2016 6:26am
dantastic

United Kingdom 
Wow, thanks Kyle!
That's some brilliant info, will have to go through the options and see which one is best for us.
I'd like some bit of challenge but being in a rented vehicle I'm not familiar with, in an environment I'm not familiar with I recon we'll be playing it safe.

Was looking at these guys, simply because they have fully kitted Defenders https://bearrentals.com.au/

Thanks again!
Dan
Post #573002 24th Oct 2016 6:49am
Alien

Australia 
This trip is only around the corner.
Any updates on your plans and travel dates? Cheers,
Kyle.
Post #598626 2nd Feb 2017 4:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1