↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Rubbing sound turning left from cold?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
kbf1981

United Kingdom 
Miserableolgit wrote:
Just to ask if you are sure the sound is not just the PAS fluid noise that is always present when under full lock.

Its a rubbing sound not on full lock - but midway through turning left.
Post #443716 6th Aug 2015 1:32pm
tomdaprince

Netherlands 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tonga Green
Waxoil is specifically designed to stick to the steel surface applied to. Much is just designed to be a pain in the ass and great fun at the same time. So there is quite some difference, those seals are still just seals so I would not be surprised if the waxoil is guilty here. Especially considering the low mileage.
Post #443717 6th Aug 2015 1:34pm
kbf1981

United Kingdom 
What part do you think would need replacing?
Post #443740 6th Aug 2015 2:39pm
tomdaprince

Netherlands 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tonga Green
Swivel Seals: FTC3401
If CV's are damaged: RTC6862GEN
Post #443743 6th Aug 2015 2:49pm
kbf1981

United Kingdom 
Cheers mate. Its been making the sound for a while so I've got it booked in with the dealer. Will get them to have a look at it. Hopefully all sorted soon.
Post #443748 6th Aug 2015 3:17pm
kbf1981

United Kingdom 
tomdaprince wrote:
Oh thats not right mate. You need to replace the swivel seals. The CV's are inside the balls. Put car on full lock and shuve a white long zip tie in the swivel to check grease level. Seems like a heavy look so would not be surprised if balls are empty. I would not drive lik this, for the time being you can throw some 80W90 or 75W90 in there so it stays lubricated. Running them dry results in imminent failure.

How would I add oil to the seal? Thanks!
Post #443813 6th Aug 2015 7:34pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
One shot semi fluid grease has been used in Defender swivels for some years now. Do a forum search for further info. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #443846 6th Aug 2015 9:24pm
kbf1981

United Kingdom 
So ok.... swivel seals replaced, all the CV's etc are fine, everything looks perfect...

And turning left whilst stationary earlier today the rubbing sound came back.

Could it be this, do you think? Mine's a 2015 car but not sure if they ever fixed the issues discussed here: " a known 'problem' with defenders where there is resonation in the hydraulic fluid pipes, but LR hadn't really sorted the problem yet so nothing could be done. I read with interest your post that suggests it is due to the pipes being too narrow and the possibility of a warranty repair... is this a recongnised fault that can be orrected under a standard LR extended warranty????"

http://www.landroveraddict.com/forums/thread.cfm?threadID=23242

I can't think of anything else. It only makes it whilst at low speed or stationary. Usually whilst turning left, in fact I think it's only made it whilst twisting the steering wheel left. Any help appreciated!
Post #446412 16th Aug 2015 12:10am
kbf1981

United Kingdom 
So ok.... swivel seals replaced, all the CV's etc are fine, everything looks perfect...

And turning left whilst stationary earlier today the rubbing sound came back.

Could it be this, do you think? Mine's a 2015 car but not sure if they ever fixed the issues discussed here: " a known 'problem' with defenders where there is resonation in the hydraulic fluid pipes, but LR hadn't really sorted the problem yet so nothing could be done. I read with interest your post that suggests it is due to the pipes being too narrow and the possibility of a warranty repair... is this a recongnised fault that can be orrected under a standard LR extended warranty????"

http://www.landroveraddict.com/forums/thread.cfm?threadID=23242

I can't think of anything else. It only makes it whilst at low speed or stationary. Usually whilst turning left, in fact I think it's only made it whilst twisting the steering wheel left. Any help appreciated!
Post #446413 16th Aug 2015 12:10am
captainbuckynohair

England 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Santorini Black
Hi all. Did this problem ever get identified as I have exactly the same. I too have a late 2015 90 which has only covered 3k to date and has been making this same noise for the last 1k approx. It only happens about halfway or so round towards full lock and only when turning left. Most apparent when manage ring at low speeds. I would say this is a comman fault but there's not a great deal on the topic.

I would like to think it's not a worn part and would be satisfied if it was just 'one of those thing' and was not something that would get worse.

Been to dealers already for new hazard relay and mentioned it then but no better. To be honest I don't think they have a clue and/or only resolve problems when there is a nice warranty claim to put to Landrover. I want to get off that road ASAP.

Any further info on this problem would be appreciated!

CBNH
Post #572689 22nd Oct 2016 6:37pm
captainbuckynohair

England 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Santorini Black
Manovering at low speeds!
Post #572692 22nd Oct 2016 6:39pm
kbf1981

United Kingdom 
Mine makes it still at low speeds and when cold... I'd guess it's the steering pump / power steering pump?

In any case I've done 18k miles now and never had a problem. I've been on road, off road extensively, and nothing has ever come of it. I'd guess it's just a trait rather than a fault. Looking underneath everything looks good too. I check the car regularly.
Post #572695 22nd Oct 2016 6:47pm
couplands

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 HT Oslo Blue
My TD5 has that sort of vibration at low speed when cold. I think its a common fault and subject to a few recalls over the years but never really fixed.

It hasn't bothered mine and its been doing in since new (15 years ago..Wink)

cheers

simon
Post #572701 22nd Oct 2016 7:05pm
justinp

United Kingdom 
My 2012 DC on 29K miles does this too, so keen to hear if anyone's fixed it.
Post #572724 22nd Oct 2016 9:10pm
JOE_130

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Java Black
Hi guys,

Sorry I missed this thread long enough for people to be changing parts... Shocked

The groan we're talking about is caused by the poorly tuned PAS system on Puma fitted vehicles. The lines make a noise caused by a resonance when the fluid and lines are cold. In a "normal" car an OEM would've spent a great deal of time tuning the system with different length lines or even mechanical noise suppresion (a sprung system inside the line). Typically the problem will only show itself when turning in one direction - in the case of Defender, to the left.

This exact problem (by this I mean at the same temperature/operating conditions) won't be present on a TD5 or other previous engines because of the change in PAS pump itself and associated characteristics. Even different release levels of pump may affect how the sound exhibits itself.

We've got two Pumas, both have done exactly the same from brand new, and I think the number of people with the issue proves its not an isolated or individual vehicle fault. It's not something to worry about, and certainly not something a dealer has the ability to fix for you unfortunately. What we all needed was JLR to spend a little more money refining their later engine installs in what is a very old base vehicle.

Hope that saves a few people loosing any sleep...

Joe
Post #573968 28th Oct 2016 1:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>