↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Stolen > Stolen Landrover's
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Matt90

United Kingdom 1990 Defender 90 2.5 TD HT Bronze Green
Stolen Landrover's
I'm becoming increasingly weary of parking my 90 anywhere away from home, it seems that defenders are being stolen on a daily basis.
I would be distraught if anything was to happen to our Rupert so it got me thinking,
The defenders that are being stolen are they being "hot wired" and driven away? Or are the being stolen on the back of recovery vehicles?
The reason I ask is I'm trying to decide the best form or security whilst we are out and about.
Post #571205 16th Oct 2016 12:52pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Just a note but if you read the small print and exclusions and endorsements on many car insurance policies (including mine) particularly for Defenders it is noted that unless your vehicle is fitted with a tracker and a cat two immobiliser, then in the event of a theft the company will not pay out.

I have also noted that on recently renewing my insurance is seemed that most companies are adopting these endorsements Pete Best, Adrian Flux Aviva as examples.

Click image to enlarge
 For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #571214 16th Oct 2016 1:27pm
mcma1

Post #571245 16th Oct 2016 3:53pm
Matt90

United Kingdom 1990 Defender 90 2.5 TD HT Bronze Green
Think a tracker is definitely on my list, as is a pedal lock and a insurance approved immobiliser.
How many defenders are taken via recovery truck and therefore bypassing the last two options?
And how easy is it for the theif to turn off a tracker?
Post #571320 16th Oct 2016 8:15pm
Teario

1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi SW Rioja Red
From observing the Landywatch Facebook page I get the impression most are driven away. That said, enough of them seem to be trailered/towed away to make it a concern.

Tracker definitely is a good one to put your mind at rest. Even with the security on mine, I don't like to leave it anywhere it's going to be potentially vulnerable for too long. Prime example, gf says she wants to go to the fireworks at Alton Towers this year. We did it a few years ago and my only concern about the car I had then was.. these parking spaces are tight, hope the person next to me doesn't ding my door (of course they did). This year my first thought was.. is the car even likely to still be there when we get out?

At least if you have a tracker you can keep an eye on it, get geofence alerts etc.

Maybe I just worry too much though. Right now I'm in the middle of making a tiny home made pressure sensor to hide under the path, so if the car is rolled from drive I'll get an alarm on my phone.
Post #571674 18th Oct 2016 12:39am
taffrican

Wales 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Java Black
I have the X-eng pedal lock on mine, along with a disc lock and a skytag tracker.... I fitted the pedal lock up tight so when it is locked the brakes are on, don't know how effective the brakes would be without the engine running but I suppose every little helps Rolling Eyes

I read an article somewhere that says that "most" Defender thefts are bog standard Defenders as kitted out ones are very noticeable and stand out, theiving pikey b**tards don't like sticking out, apparently.... so buy as many bolt ons as you can fit Thumbs Up Optimists say the glass is half full..
Pessimists say the glass is half empty..
Engineers say the glass is twice the size it needs to be!
Post #575023 2nd Nov 2016 9:19pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
tolley

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
2 taken from Gloucestershire in the last 3 days , reg AO54 CZE locked no keys in it 8pm , 2nd taken , day before 7pm DX54 MKN , same again no keys left in it .
Post #581855 1st Dec 2016 9:24am
defender9

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
You can have as many bolt on security items as you like, and yes it's a good idea to have them but a few years ago there were Defenders in Lancashire and Yorkshire that were being nicked by being lifted onto a Hiab and carted away. One garage which was targeted now use huge steel clamps on the wheels that are embedded into the concrete.
Post #581875 1st Dec 2016 10:50am
petestaunch

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Keswick Green
I only got my Defender last week. It has some sort of alarm and immobiliser on it. They even seem to work sometimes!

I bough an 'ardcase. It's heavier than the Defender.

Just ordered Smartwater.

I try not to park it anywhere even vaguely suspect. If I go to the city centre it goes in the car park with cameras and exit only with the ticket with the vehicle number plate on it.

I have a Staffordshire Bull Terrier in the back quite a lot. He looks mean, but he'd probably befriend any potential thief and be abducted himself.
Post #581882 1st Dec 2016 11:11am
arran jones

United Kingdom 
I've got a momo steering wheel with a detachable boss, and a steering wheel lock for times when u don't want to take off the actuall wheel!!!! Very Happy

But I'm still scared, any other good ideas,

How do u get a alarm fitted and where do u buy one from

I've got a 2009 defender 90 Pick up??!!
Post #581891 1st Dec 2016 11:54am
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hello All

I would like to present a philosophical observation here... Idea

I do so in all seriousness...3 years ago I joined D2N and it has been invaluable
in contributing to the experience of owning my Defender...I wouldn't drive anything else,
(unless LR gets the replacement right).

Security, as we all know, is always there 'in the background'...and the more you read the
more 'motivated' (even paranoid) you can become, to do what you can to address this.

That said, you don't read on here, or generally, someone posting...'another day
and my Defender is exactly where I left it'... we tend to hear only the bad stories.

I would like most, be serious 'knocked back' if mine went, the thought that it's only metal,
and most things are replaceable, doesn't really cut it for me.

I have now added 14 different 'modification' (Layers) to mine, and whilst 8 are always there,
(always on) 6 need to be implemented, partially or completely, based on a highly subjective
assessment of where i'm leaving it...and dangerously even assessing for how long...often I just
'fully arm' it.

To 'fully arm' my Defender takes just under 2 minutes...and when returning therefore around
another 2 minutes to 'dis-arm'...It can feel like conducting pre-flight checks before setting off.

Now my philosophical observation is this...

Should you first protect your Defender, to the best of your abilities, before adding a Tracker... Question

I ask this because whilst I agree a Tracker is a good option...if you need to, or worse even rely on this
alone, in my view, things are not as good as they could / should be.

The temptation could be to fit a Tracker + 1 -2 other devises and feel the job done.

In using your Tracker...in anger...trying to recover your Defender...you have already lost...it has been stolen... Exclamation

Knowing that, it may be recovered, even better, someone caught for this is good, but whilst I'm not suggesting
don't fit a Tracker, I am suggesting that it should be nearer the last line in your Defence of your Defender, the final layer in your armory...not the first or main weapon.

So if you have one fitted good...but I suggest that it is better to try and stop it going in the first place,
and counter intuitively, I would also suggest that assuming you don't have a Tracker fitted could
actually help.

Discuss... Question SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #581899 1st Dec 2016 12:19pm
BuckBlu110

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 110 BMW M57 3.0 Diesel CSW Buckingham Blue
I'm in a similar frame of mind, my thinking was when I started adding layers was to prevent the theft in the first place and then move on to the prospect of what needs to be done if all my layers were defeated, ie: a tracker.
Either way I would say a tracker is definitely a help, perhaps more of piece of mind that should it go walkies, there's more chance of it coming back than disappearing forever and the investment /cost of all those layers to prevent the theft in the first place, is protected.
It's been said before no end of times but, every little helps, and if yours looks like too much hassle to deal with because of it and the scrotes move on, then I'm all for plastering it in security measures.
Maybe one day when the word has gotten out more and owners are more active and clued up on security, that defenders won't be of much interest to thieves, to hot to handle and to much hassle to attempt stealing. Here's hoping.
Post #581904 1st Dec 2016 12:41pm
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hello BuckBlu110..here's hoping indeed...until then...

Click image to enlarge
 SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #581930 1st Dec 2016 2:43pm
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
gilarion wrote:
Just a note but if you read the small print and exclusions and endorsements on many car insurance policies (including mine) particularly for Defenders it is noted that unless your vehicle is fitted with a tracker and a cat two immobiliser, then in the event of a theft the company will not pay out.

I have also noted that on recently renewing my insurance is seemed that most companies are adopting these endorsements Pete Best, Adrian Flux Aviva as examples.

Click image to enlarge

I was a bit concerned by this post so much so that I contacted the N.F.U. to see if this had been brought in on the quiet. The reply was, " As long as you maintain the security systems that came fitted by Land Rover we (NFU) do not have a problem, you must also ensure that the vehicle is locked when you leave it. If as the owner you wish to upgrade the alarm or fit a tracker or other security device and you inform us that you have done so than these devices should be maintained in working order and used all times that you leave the vehicle unattended" . Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #581932 1st Dec 2016 3:10pm
petestaunch

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Keswick Green
I feel woefully unprotected now.
Post #581934 1st Dec 2016 3:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>