↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Awning advice - any thoughts on the short list
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
TACK

I have an arb and a terrain 4x4 awning. 2.5m long, and come out 2m I believe, both which you unroll drop the gets out of the channel etc. I put it up and down on my own fine.

They are Pretty much identical to each other and many other brands of this style you have listed.

I also have the arb 3 wall set, typically around £150 for 3 walls/sides. This will fit onto all other awnings of this type that I can see. It fits both my 2 and the tuff trek and the howling moon etc. But it will not fit a foxwing/batwing type awning. I also have a LR Safari rack. I also have a arb windbreak, fits in the sail track on all the awnings I have listed above. Around £70.

Worth considering the option extras like the rooms, side awnings etc and especially the fitting kits. Plus the price and the availability of the the extras. And the available parts, anything over complicated in the mechanism and repairing it in the field could an issue.

Also are the side walls if you want to go that route a dense windowless material which block out light. You might like this if you plan to sleep under the awning. A foxwing/batwing type don't seam to have vision Windows or vents in them yet or doors. The arb and tuff trek rooms do, allowing you to see out and put say the pipe of a frontier stove outside (via the door) without cutting and fitting a flue fitting in your expensive awning. (Another cost)

I was at the overland show at the weekend. I help assist a fellow forum member after his awning was damaged by strong winds. It was easily done as it was easily manufactured.

If you follow the route I have, from arb, tuff trek, howling moon types (to list a few) you can get an awning and room for under £500. I have also slept under mine many times.

I am not comparing fabric quality as I have no experience of anything but the arb or terrain 4x4 stuff. I have been under many foxwings of forum members and I would say the quality is good and I certainly would consider one over what I have stated above if I wanted the bigger footprint.

Thumbs Up
Post #566872 27th Sep 2016 12:27am
TACK

Some pictures of the awning up at the show this weekend.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #566873 27th Sep 2016 12:30am
SergeantJav

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Cheers for that Tack.

So far I do like the ARB... nice KISS principle. Also price.

The Howling moon I don't like the arms going from front to rack then held in place by a loop of fabric...so,off the list.
Like the Fiamma for ease of deployment but the add on sides are a PITA...not quick by any means..
Like the Hannibal but not the price especially when an extra side etc is added...wrong side of a grand.

So at the moment between the ARB and the Eezi awn - like the retractable idea and the case of the Eezi-awn.
However is it worth the extra money? Anyone comment on their longevity of the spring...?

The other option is Tuff-Trek as I like the idea of going British even if they all seem to be made in China Neutral
However no response from them by email or voicemail so struggling to find more about them..
Anyone got one of their TT A-1 awnings? Proud to own 110XS TDCi SW..previously 90XS Td5 SW
Post #567092 27th Sep 2016 7:03pm
the shepherd

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Keswick Green
You could have a look at the awnings on this site, I am going to get one. www.alu-cab.co.za there is a you tube video on this too.

Cheers John
Post #567103 27th Sep 2016 7:42pm
williamthedog

2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 PU Tamar Blue
Fox wing my choice too. With the sides on you got your privacy and shelter from the wind. Thumbs Up
Post #567125 27th Sep 2016 8:33pm
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Mountain_man wrote:
Having been at the overland show this weekend and owning a foxwing myself..... from your shortlist it would be the Fiammi without a doubt Smile I have now done about 7 overland trips with my mate who has one on his 110 and it is the one that always comes out for teabreaks, is always the first one iup in the evening and the first one down in the morning. It is incredibly well made and strong and is the only one stored in a solid case. It will take a fair wind with the guys down but to be honest it is so quick to put in and out that you tend to wind it in overnight if there is any risk of wind. It is a matter of about 5 seconds.

I like the though of having a Foxwing, as a few friends, as above etc have them, BUT

Time it take to stake out, (as they have to be, as already tried to hold one down, unsuccessfully, and fortunately, only broke the plastic, design in weak point,

But the lack of access to the rear ladder,and roof tent rules it out !

Has at good look at the overland show, and all the alternatives, None convinced me to buy ant different, to what i have

And thats the Fimma, its the best part of 10 year old (at least) is easy to remove, (3 screws,) as it also fits on the the rally van when needed, Has not rotton,, nothing has broken (bar one leg, but a drunken person fell off his chain into it !! but easy replace at any caravan/motorhome shop !,,

As MM states above, takes a max of 20 seconds out or in,

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Hindsight is a great thing.. Would i go the same way,, Yes 100% untill i see somethink that suit me better, which at present, none of them do California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #567143 27th Sep 2016 9:06pm
SergeantJav

Those piccies look awesome TJ101 Thumbs Up

I wonder..I prefer the Fiamma awning but the ARB style sides... I wonder if the ARB windbreak will slide nicely into the Fiamma track...looks like same sail groove... that would add to the Fiamma without the posh brand version Rolling Eyes
Then further down the line pick up some of the Fiamma side arm attachments and the rest of the ARB sides...

That could be best of all worlds... Thumbs Up Proud to own 110XS TDCi SW..previously 90XS Td5 SW
Post #567189 27th Sep 2016 11:12pm
TACK

As long as the Fimma had the sail track the ARB wind break will slide in.
Post #567896 30th Sep 2016 8:49pm
DuncanS

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Anyone any thoughts on Armadillo?

After hearing about an Howling Moon tearing itself apart in the storm at Adventure Overland, and me seeing the Armadillo roof tents and awnings seemingly untouched I'd be interested to see some other opinions as I'm quite tempted by one.

http://www.armadillo4x4.co.uk/ North Cumbria Search and Rescue - Team Leader
Post #567899 30th Sep 2016 9:00pm
SergeantJav

Armadillo looks very nice...would like to see one...anyone know how the poles go up...are they attached to the rack side like the Safari awning?
The awning room looks very substantial Thumbs Up Proud to own 110XS TDCi SW..previously 90XS Td5 SW
Post #567998 1st Oct 2016 11:05am
DuncanS

The horizontal poles for the roof are kept within the rack side, and the verticals are in the front leading edge from what I've seen. I know Nick and Armadillo have a stand at Stoneleigh this year so you'll probably get a chance to have a butchers there. North Cumbria Search and Rescue - Team Leader
Post #567999 1st Oct 2016 11:08am
SergeantJav

Can't make Stoneleigh.... wish more manufacturers would put YouTube demo videos up... Sad

It helps to see som one actually putting them up and get an idea of the fabric..especially as most of my purchases end up online as we become more and more global.. Confused Proud to own 110XS TDCi SW..previously 90XS Td5 SW
Post #568199 2nd Oct 2016 12:08pm
Dave-H

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tonga Green
Bows wrote:
I bought a tarp from dd hammocks, and I bought a couple of adjustable poles. I have those ring fasteners on the flatdog rax and make my own awning, I can put it either side and can adjust the shape of it to suit the weather. I use guy lines where needed to keep the tension on it, all at a fraction of the cost of those mentioned above. Have a look on YouTube, there are plenty of videos covering tarp setups, great viewing.

Snap ... A DD Hammocks 4x4m tarp [Less than £50] and a set of 4 hide poles [as used by shooting peeps].
Under £100 gets you a 13' x 13' shelter you can erect anywhere around the motor, adjustable height, and, as hide poles have a kick step and point to bed into the ground, unless its breezy you dont even need to use guy-lines ... winner Thumbs Up Guns and Landrovers .... anything else is irrelevant.
Post #568208 2nd Oct 2016 12:31pm
DuncanS

SergeantJav wrote:
Can't make Stoneleigh.... wish more manufacturers would put YouTube demo videos up... Sad

It helps to see som one actually putting them up and get an idea of the fabric..especially as most of my purchases end up online as we become more and more global.. Confused

If you go onto the Armadillo facebook there are some videos of the various bits of it. The awning material to me feels like a ripstop nylon type feel, not entirely sure what it is, however I know I can rub my hands on the bottom of it with a pool of water on top and it doesn't leak. North Cumbria Search and Rescue - Team Leader
Post #568214 2nd Oct 2016 12:47pm
db950

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Nato Green
I went with the cheaper Fiamma, F35 Pro.
Had it on a year or so now never bother taking it off!
The wind out version would be easier for sure but this is very quick to put up with two people.
I preferred the Ali housing to others on the market and its available in black!
Easy to get spares for if needed but the side panels and rooms are very expensive.
Mine is the 2.7m version fitted to a LR rack, very neat set up.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #568857 5th Oct 2016 1:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>