Home > Td5 > another td5 alarm problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
kevinf

United Kingdom 
another td5 alarm problem
hi folks

your help required ! I got a frantic phone call Saturday evening from the brother -in-law his 1999 td5 110 wont start so went to help, first thing I found was that the engine wouldn't turn over and the immobiliser warning light was illuminated
tried shutting all the doors and arming /disarming the alarm no response from the alarm tried both fobs, tried disconnecting /reconnecting battery also put new batteries in to the remote fobs still nothing !

at this point the in-laws adamant he'd not armed the alarm, in-fact its not been armed for several years !

so started to look at the alarm unit with the help of wiring diagram's found I had the required battery and ignition feeds into the unit and the earth return, and by earthing the wire from the starter relay I managed to get the engine to turn over and fire but would only run for a few seconds so I suspect the alarm module as failed but want to prove it by replicating the feed to the engine ECU but don't know if it is earth wire like the one to the starter relay or a power feed to the ECU and if so is it 12 volts or a reduced voltage ?
if it is the alarm unit can I just replace the unit or does it need recoding and matching to the engine ECU and remote fobs with diagnostic equipment ? hope this makes sense
also another point the starter key is just a standard steel key I.E no chip as in a passive immobiliser system so why does it have a inductive coil ?

many thanks cheers kevin
Post #566653 26th Sep 2016 7:28am
Clive

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 X-Tech LE Zambezi Silver
If you replace the 10AS alarm unit, the new one will need pairing with the engine ecu and the existing keyfobs, so yes, diagnostic intervention will be needed, TBH though, I rather suspect the current 10AS is not faulty but has merely had a brain fart and lost it's configuration, unfortunately though it will still need a diagnostic device to set it up again.

The inductive coil communicates with the key fob rather than the actual key, the immobiliser function (and central locking) is all incorporated within the 10AS and is activated or not according to the vehicle spec.
Post #566670 26th Sep 2016 9:51am
dorsetsmith

and or send alarm unit to below and get it fixed

http://www.technozen-electronics.co.uk/lan...-services/
Post #566697 26th Sep 2016 1:49pm
EWG

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 PU Alveston Red
Heartily agree above.

Technozen's service is first class as I discovered last year.
You will have fun removing the 10AS Alarm unit though - it's a horrible job, the right hand side self tappers are easy enough but as for the ones on the left.............. Shocked
Post #566776 26th Sep 2016 7:26pm
kevinf

United Kingdom 
Hi all

thanks for your help

I've contacted the guy you recommended with the link so hopefully will be sorted soon !

which brings me to a new problem I regularly take extended overland trips with my td5! so what happens if my alarm unit fails in the middle of nowhere is there any thing available that will by-pass the alarm unit that I could fit either if the alarm unit failed or before setting off on a big trip ?

cheers kevin
Post #567285 28th Sep 2016 12:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1