↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Will you shun the new defender?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Slideywindows

England 
I'm not sure it matters if I shun it.

But if they get it wrong, all kinds of people (like farmers, the military, utility Companies and other users who need "Defenders") will have to buy foreign.

And that would be a shame.
Post #563774 13th Sep 2016 10:11pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
How do you get a car to Iceland easily? Mike
Post #563777 13th Sep 2016 10:21pm
Ashbyandy

England 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Adventure Phoenix Orange
Hi Mike,
The answer is not cheaply. Either by container ship form Immingham near Hull to Rejkjavik, or car ferry from somewhere north of Copenhagen in Denmark. Container ship was £2100 all in, including 1% insurance tax. The pound has taken a real hit since June. Ferry is not much different in price.

Also regarding the true thread of this forum, I can't wait to see what they come up with to replace the Defender, but it is happening, somewhere out in India. Here is a blurred picture showing the ground being cleared and levelled for the new factory. Friend of mine works for LR

All the best
Andy

Post #563832 14th Sep 2016 10:14am
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Slideywindows wrote:
I'm not sure it matters if I shun it.

But if they get it wrong, all kinds of people (like farmers, the military, utility Companies and other users who need "Defenders") will have to buy foreign.

And that would be a shame.

Shame indeed but fact is many started turning away from Defenders a long, long time ago. I'm not sure JLR are at all interested in recapturing that market sector to the extent it held back in the glory days of the '50's - '70's / early '80's but time will tell.

If a replacement to the old Defender ever surfaces then I will evaluate it based on its specification, performance, price and how well these fit my own requirements at the time. I certainly won't but one - or bought all my previous LR products just because it became fashionable in recent years [ probably since the Land Rover shows started] for owners to wave at each other in passing.

But as it is this is just another "what if" thread based on nothing much other than speculation which is pretty much par for the course in this section of the forum. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #563857 14th Sep 2016 12:36pm
Clemmo

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Shun it or not Land Rover have made a huge strategy error with no continuation for the Defender.

I work in the Motor industry for a brand that understands its customer and understands the value of continuation of "Return to Brand"

Whilst LR continue to flounder with the Defender replacement and still to date cannot offer details or dates potential buyers buy elsewhere and so begins the possibility of new brand loyalty.
This includes large companies such as the Electric companies and indeed the Forces.

I cant understand it at all.

Years ago I worked for Rover and we decided to finish the Metro. We had no replacemement. We all know what happened to Rover.

I want to Love the new Defender but as time passes feel more inclined to shun it and the Land Rover Brand completely.

Clemmo Make today a little better than yesterday but not so good as tomorrow....
Defender 90 HT............Pangea Green
BMW X3 Msport............Carbon Black
Mini Electric................Grey. (wow!)
MGB Roadster……..........Vermillion
Honda Benly CD200....Maroon ------------- Chausson 98.........7.5m of fun
Post #563863 14th Sep 2016 1:08pm
Mr Fox

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
There is no doubt that LR dropped the ball but the multiple changes of ownership probably played a big part in that.

Puch/Mercedes have kept the G-Wagen professional (461) alive and I cannot help but wish LR had used the same method of continual development and not rested on their laurels for decade after decade.
Post #563868 14th Sep 2016 1:38pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Ashbyandy wrote:
Hi Mike,
The answer is not cheaply. Either by container ship form Immingham near Hull to Rejkjavik, or car ferry from somewhere north of Copenhagen in Denmark. Container ship was £2100 all in, including 1% insurance tax. The pound has taken a real hit since June. Ferry is not much different in price.

Also regarding the true thread of this forum, I can't wait to see what they come up with to replace the Defender, but it is happening, somewhere out in India. Here is a blurred picture showing the ground being cleared and levelled for the new factory. Friend of mine works for LR

All the best
Andy

Thanks Andy - driving to Denmark and copenhagen as we do, is a big undertaking - shame the direct ferry has gone from the UK to denmark, so it would be easier to container it, but then the costs are massive...food for thought though

Quote:
Shun it or not Land Rover have made a huge strategy error with no continuation for the Defender.

I work in the Motor industry for a brand that understands its customer and understands the value of continuation of "Return to Brand"

Whilst LR continue to flounder with the Defender replacement and still to date cannot offer details or dates potential buyers buy elsewhere and so begins the possibility of new brand loyalty.
This includes large companies such as the Electric companies and indeed the Forces.

I cant understand it at all.

Its simple, it wasnt JLR, it was all the people that hated the DC100, it takes time to make a car and to restart a product development means there is a delay and the gap.

Quote:
There is no doubt that LR dropped the ball but the multiple changes of ownership probably played a big part in that

I would agree that it needed continuous development which has been impacted for many reasons and didnt happen - not helped by its own popularity Mike
Post #563872 14th Sep 2016 1:57pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
Yes, I'd like to know something about the "New" Defender.
But I ain't having a go at JLR about it. They're one of the most successful car manufacturers at the moment,...every one of their new models has been well received, waiting lists for many, a new range of ingenium engines etc etc,..it's all going well,...for "volume selling models", which for the last few years of manufacture, Defender,......was not. In terms of sales & profitability it was probably more of a liability than anything,....except to "us" of course, but we are only a miniscule part of the market.
So, there's been other things to do before Defender.
JLR have said that there will be one, I've no idea what it will be, whether I will like it etc, I've got no idea about anything.
I reckon one of the problems is that because Defender was so far "behind the times", caused not by the current owners of Landrover, but by owners of decades ago, that EVERYTHING will have to be new/different etc to compete with current offerings,.....a MASSIVE undertaking.
I reckon JLR will get it right, they've done pretty well with all of their new models, so I don't see that the new Defender will be any different.
Whether We "traditional" owners will like it, or not, may be another matter, I don't know, but JLR will have to be looking to a far wider market than us, for it to be successful.
Wait & see I guess, for me anyway.
Pickles.
Post #564023 14th Sep 2016 10:13pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
It wasn't as far out of date as you're all saying. They made the Disco 2 until 2004 and that shared a lot of the same components. Same transfer box, same gearbox and engine, similar axles and suspension. OK so that's a 20 year old design, but it's not quite as antiquated as all that.

As for the gap, just look at the Beetle. In most markets there was a huge (15-20 year?) gap between the "old" one and the "new" one.
Post #564068 15th Sep 2016 7:35am
Pickles

They ain't making the beetle any more.
Pickles.
Post #564100 15th Sep 2016 9:31am
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
they aren't making the old one, but they've had two generations of "new Beetle" an in most markets there was a big gap between the two.
Post #564126 15th Sep 2016 11:19am
Pickles

No wories, I was referring to the "new" Beetle, production of which has now stopped (I think I read!) owing to poor sales.
Pickles.
Post #564373 15th Sep 2016 10:23pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Production rumoured to end in 2018 but not yet confirmed, or if there will be a replacement. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #564416 16th Sep 2016 9:01am
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
Pickles wrote:

I reckon JLR will get it right, they've done pretty well with all of their new models, so I don't see that the new Defender will be any different.
Whether We "traditional" owners will like it, or not, may be another matter, I don't know, but JLR will have to be looking to a far wider market than us, for it to be successful.

Depends on how you define "right". JLR will without a doubt (assuming they identify an appropriate market segment) produce a vehicle possibly called a Defender which will sell in much higher volumes than the old one, and will also be much more complex and use modern up to date manufacturing and design techniques. So far so good, they are out to make money after all. But will it have the huge enthusiast following, the kids growing up dreaming of owning one, folks having collections of them and spending ££££ rebuilding them, off roading and going to shows etc? Absolutely not, same as the recent crop of models from the Freelander onwards never had that kind of appeal. Whilst I suspect we will still see Defenders on the road 20 years I doubt the same could be said of the other current/recent models, how often do you see a P38 Range Rover or Disco II now? 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #564536 16th Sep 2016 5:50pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pickles

22900013A,...I agree with everything you say, and yes,I doubt that it will ever be spoken about in the same way as "ours" are.
Whatever JLR does, it will have to be good, (depends how one defines "good" I know!), because there is a great deal of competition in the market. I believe that in Aussie, there is even more competition with a MASSIVE variety of SUV's, all sorts of utilities, twin/dual cab utes etc, with a huge range of all sorts of engines, transmissions, drive trains,..so it will be interesting to see where JLR see the new Defender fitting in,...and as I understand things, the U.S. will get it too,.....so it will have to be good.
Pickles.
Post #564579 16th Sep 2016 11:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>