↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Will you shun the new defender?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Gilarion you are 'bang on the nail' with that one.... Thumbs Up

"Also I feel that any new replacement Defender will perhaps in essence be aimed at a Different market, a market that expects comfort packed with the latest car technology and a leak free vehicle.

The core customer base had already significantly evolved from straw sucking, Barbour Jacket, welly wearing farmers and workers to those (such as myself) that cossetted, nurtured and evolved their vehicles into what TJ so eloquently put it as 'Garage Queens.'

TJ101 wrote:
Rolling with laughter But at least I use mine as intended. Will be no garage queen Laughing

I bought a Defender through desire, not need as many others have done!

The cost in comparison to expectations of the customer base could no longer be met. European Legislation was not the only nail in the coffin for the Defender. Realistically it was by far not worth the money they were selling for. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #563590 13th Sep 2016 10:41am
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
It is funny with the numbers of people on this and other defender forums that complain about the current ones issues and none fixes over years, that they wouldnt immediately go for a replacement that solves them all? Mike
Post #563592 13th Sep 2016 10:47am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
^^^^

Never a truer statement. It always was a 'warts 'n' all type vehicle. I enjoyed resolving the 'warts.' It was part of the appeal I suppose rather than throw it back at the dealer for a sticking plaster fix? To buy a perfect one would for me lessen the appeal with the plethora of aftermarket accessories that was available for the old one. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #563596 13th Sep 2016 10:58am
Mr Fox

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
gilarion wrote:

Also I feel that any new replacement Defender will perhaps in essence be aimed at a Different market, a market that expects comfort packed with the latest car technology and a leak free vehicle. Wink

In other words: value for money Wink

As K9F has already alluded to, the Defender stopped, imho, being a vehicle which most owners could argue was good value based on quality, finish, construction methods, safety, reliability, economy or pretty much any other factor that is used to measure a modern vehicle, a long time ago. What it did/does have is bags of character and iconic status but for 95% of the buying public, that probably isn't enough to make them want to own one.

There will be people who argue that farmers still bought them and yes they did; however, the end of line models really illustrate (again, IMHO) what the vehicle and brand had really become - £60k luxury-esque Defenders, Adventure models that get used on the school run (I see two daily doing just that) and quite possibly never see more of an adventure than a commute and a vehicle which plundered the rich heritage the model had to offer but missed the mark by leaving out options the UK actually wanted.

I'm not having a pop at the Defender but I am saying that it is possible, even on this forum, to look at the model and see what it has become and why it appealed to the majority of current owners. There will still be those who use them as originally (pre-modern Defender) was intended - and hats off to them; however, I think the majority are now fashion icons... statements of how rugged the owner is. Again, each to their own and there is nothing wrong with that - we all, myself included, often purchase things because of what we believe it says about us (to ourselves and others) but that doesn't change the fact that an MSRP of £30k+ on a 90 SW Defender XS wasn't value vs quality, options, construction, reliability, etc.

I won't judge the new Defender until I can see it, drive it and understand the concept behind it. There is no doubt that LR (Tata) will play on the heritage to create a halo effect but I'd like to hope that they'll also fix all the weak points about the out-going Defender as well.
Post #563598 13th Sep 2016 10:59am
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
I saw a 16 plate adventurer model pulling a massive box/show trailer this morning...i was a little shocked.

Lets face it, this country is rubbish, there isnt really anywhere you can off road any more...yes some sites in some places, but its not much, you cant green lane in the same way either, the defender has some uses but its not really what it was - especially when its so relatively expensive for farmers etc

Where it needs to sell is the rest of the world, where there are far more opportunities Mike
Post #563610 13th Sep 2016 11:26am
custom90

United Kingdom 
^^^^ Too true, and the root cause is often successive govts treating the masses as 'sheep' to herd to their recommended pens of society.
The amount of times you see people doing the same job, the same car, the same holiday etc.
Even mirroring what the neighbour does. (There's a copy cat next to me. Rolling Eyes )

And of course the age old with green laning minority spooling it for the masses. Evil or Very Mad
Post #563621 13th Sep 2016 11:55am
Morepower

New Zealand 
I just hope JLR build a 'Commercial' Version... However I don't see that fitting their market demographic..... Fingers crossed they do build one and don't price it at D4 commercial £££..

Regards

Tim It doesn't matter how bad it is, It can always get worse...

2013 Bowler 110 (Sold)
2016 Bowler 90 Rally Spec (Sold)
Post #563650 13th Sep 2016 3:00pm
Ashbyandy

England 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Adventure Phoenix Orange
Hi all,

Hope you don't mind, but I feel I've got to add a picture of my Adventure edition being used for its proper purpose, to prove that they are not all used on the school run. This was taken in Iceland about 2 weeks ago. Can't wait for my next Adventure adventure,

Click image to enlarge
Post #563693 13th Sep 2016 6:23pm
Mr Fox

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
Andy, how do we know that you didn't decide to take a shortcut on the school run? Mr. Green

Good to see an Adventure being used for an adventure Thumbs Up
Post #563699 13th Sep 2016 6:46pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Ashbyandy wrote:
Hi all,

Hope you don't mind, but I feel I've got to add a picture of my Adventure edition being used for its proper purpose, to prove that they are not all used on the school run. This was taken in Iceland about 2 weeks ago. Can't wait for my next Adventure adventure,

Great picture where was it taken. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #563746 13th Sep 2016 8:57pm
Ashbyandy

Hi Gilarion,

It was taken deep in the interior of Iceland. Loads of walkers crossing the interior get to this river, and there is no bridge, so my mate in his 90 and me, spent some time as a ferry service for them, basically any excuse for a bit of fun Very Happy. We did some deeper ones than this though. Recommend it to all of you that want something different to do from the usual trips to Wales, love my welsh trips as well though,

AM94 it would have been a bloody long short cut Laughing Laughing

Cheers
Andy

Previous defenders owned
TD5 90 CSW
Puma 90 CSW
Post #563748 13th Sep 2016 9:11pm
Ashbyandy

Hi Gilarion,

It was taken deep in the interior of Iceland. Loads of walkers crossing the interior get to this river, and there is no bridge, so my mate in his 90 and me, spent some time as a ferry service for them, basically any excuse for a bit of fun Very Happy. We did some deeper ones than this though. Recommend it to all of you that want something different to do from the usual trips to Wales, love my welsh trips as well though,

AM94 it would have been a bloody long short cut Laughing Laughing

Cheers
Andy

Previous defenders owned
TD5 90 CSW
Puma 90 CSW
Post #563749 13th Sep 2016 9:12pm
Ashbyandy

Sorry, pressed submit twice
Post #563751 13th Sep 2016 9:14pm
Bps

United Kingdom 
Was beginning to think I had wasted 15 mins of my life reading this thread and then saw the Iceland picture which made it worthwhile Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #563762 13th Sep 2016 9:40pm
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
By the time they get one knocked out half of us won't need one Rolling with laughter
Post #563769 13th Sep 2016 9:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>