↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > tailgate tent/drive-away awning
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
dantastic

United Kingdom 
tailgate tent/drive-away awning
I'm looking for a drive-away awning kind of jobby. About 3x3m. It must be lightning fast to put up and down. It must be sturdy.
I'm currently using a garden popup gazebo. Not bad but it's not really able to cope with much wind.
I've seen these, Kyham Motordome. A lot of positive reviews but also several negative ones where the joints have snapped and it's apparently not that great in wind either.

An anyone recommend a similar product?
Post #558608 24th Aug 2016 2:01pm
muddybaldboy

Wales 1999 Defender 110 Td5 HT Chawton White
Big fan of kyham stuff, had 3 tents (got bigger as family grew)
Lightening fast to put up and very robust. Only had one issue and that involved a horse tap-dancing on it (don't ask) but spares availability and service was awesome. Thumbs Up He who dies with the most toys...wins!
Post #558687 24th Aug 2016 7:54pm
dave18

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Portofino Red
I have the LR Khyam and yes its fast but wouldnt say lightening as once up you have a million and one lines and pegs Laughing Laughing

Had it up the other month for 4 days each day we had torrential rain and wind in the evening and let through very little water, Im more than happy with that as its not designed to be submarine grade waterpoof and the wind did not effect it that much. Khyam do do a storm line kit to give it more strength.

Down side is mounting to a fender. There is two 1" square metal tabs which are designed to be fitted to a roof rack rail or similar. then on that is a threaded bar which you then pin the awning over and wind on a nut. Try finding somewhere on a fender for that also a stock height fender is a tad tall for it.

Couple of poor pics attached of mine hopefully be some help.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #558721 24th Aug 2016 9:10pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
I know it's not on the back of the Defender but it's on the next best thing.

Click image to enlarge

It's an Oxygen Outdoor Revolution drive away camper awning with a blow up pole system. A mate had bought it off his "mate" but when he went to put it up it had been put away damp and dirty so has a little mould in places, if you look hard enough. Anyway his other half said no and he bought a new one, I ended up with this at a very knock down price.
I've tried it a couple of times on the back of the Hi-Cap tub on a Sankey and it really works well. It will attach to near enough anything, all that I need to do is to tie the cords, one middle and two either side to the roofrack on the Ifor top. Pull it into a rough shape then attatch the stirrup pump provided and pump the two tubes built into the awning. All in all it can be out of the bag and pretty much pegged down in 10 minutes.
The bonus is that there's a big zip up door between the awning and the vehicle which acts as a "tunnel" that has it's own seperate door to the outside. That part is bigger than it looks as I can leave the catflap on the Ifor in the open position and it not interfere with any of the fabric and with the door zipped closed means that the inside of the awning is "sealed" for sleeping therefore no draughts.
The awning part has got doors either side plus a larger one at the front, size wise I use fold up camp beds and there's more than enough room with two in there in any direction and could easily cope with three.
The material is a good ripstop nylon much like the Oz-Tent type but not quite as subdued a colour.
The flexibility of the joining part is its strong point, it will attach to a van side with an awning rail around 8' and with the built in bits of elastic and straps it will hug the Ifor snugly.
I'm booked in for the show at Peterbugger next month and I'll probably not bother dragging the trailer and attatch it to the back of my 110 and fully expect the rear door to open into the tunnel part with no hassle.
To say I'm impressed would be an understatement Thumbs Up

There's a link to a similar one on fleabay;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Outdoor-Revoluti...33bd581da1

It does seem to stand up to the wind quite well as it has got a bit of an aerodynamical feel to it, the only issue, which seems to be common, is that it gains a small puddle of water at the bottom of the blowup tubes. It's got to be a condensation thing, compressed air and all that and is common with most blow up tents. Nothing that interferes with using it
It packs away into its own bag that soon gets lost in the Defender which is a bonus as some setups can take up so much room especially when poles are involved.
Post #558751 25th Aug 2016 12:03am
Mash

Guernsey 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Nato Green
Army 9x9 is what I use, not to bad to put up if you know how even on your own, link nicely to the back of the defender too. Only downside is they are a little bulky.

Click image to enlarge

Not the best pic, stolen off the net. Not sure where mine have gone? 90 wolf - Jasmin http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic39408.html
90 V8 - Maggie http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic42564.html
110 TD5 - Buggsy http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic59029.html
52HG25 lightweight https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic72342.html
D3 Hse - Fiona
Capri 2l S - Anna

Think I might have a problem............
Post #558752 25th Aug 2016 12:40am
dantastic

United Kingdom 
I never stay more than 1 night and leave camp pretty early in the morning so an old army 9x9 is out of the question.
The inflatable looks nice but as I've never used one or seen one I don't know how handy they are. I will see if I can find some youtube videos for reference Smile

The Kyham gear so come recommended by most people. But there are a few bad ones out there. I just don't know if they are BS or not.

Btw, this is not for sleeping in, just for cooking and being in.
Post #558764 25th Aug 2016 6:14am
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Not a drive away but a fast to put up awning for the back of the 110 ... have used it loads and its works well

Again its a kyham awning and pops up like an umbrella so no time spent feeding poles though the fabric etc..
We only use the guys when its windy and have 2 bungie cords that run down the side of the vehicle that we tie the awning to.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #558776 25th Aug 2016 7:19am
trooper

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tamar Blue
I have an EASE CAMP Goodwood[b] drive away awning, which is new to the market this year. It is quick to erect and with a few minor mod,s excellent for my 90. Sorry no picture yet.[/b] As displayed in LRO mag. May issue
Post #558787 25th Aug 2016 8:06am
dantastic

United Kingdom 
I had a look at the Easy Camp stuff and I came across the Easy Camp Pavilion. Really like it. It's more of a gazebo thing with optional side walls.

I'm a bit in 2 minds if I want another gazebo type jobby or something smaller, enclosed. There are benefits to both.
Post #558803 25th Aug 2016 8:41am
muddybaldboy

Wales 1999 Defender 110 Td5 HT Chawton White
dave18 wrote:
I have the LR Khyam and yes its fast but wouldnt say lightening as once up you have a million and one lines and pegs Laughing Laughing

Shocked I don't think I've seen so many ropes on a tent that size ever!!!! Rolling with laughter He who dies with the most toys...wins!
Post #558815 25th Aug 2016 9:45am
Damien

United Kingdom 
well considering where you take the 4x4s need all the tie down points you can get Very Happy
Post #559012 26th Aug 2016 12:40am
Alien

Australia 
We used to back up to the awning section of the OzTent which could be closed in with side walls if required. Cheers,
Kyle.
Post #559022 26th Aug 2016 5:09am
dantastic

United Kingdom 
wyvern wrote:
Not a drive away but a fast to put up awning for the back of the 110 ... have used it loads and its works well

Again its a kyham awning and pops up like an umbrella so no time spent feeding poles though the fabric etc..
We only use the guys when its windy and have 2 bungie cords that run down the side of the vehicle that we tie the awning to.

What is this one actually called? I haven't seen one like it on the khyam site. It looks smaller and tidier than the currently available models.
Post #559876 30th Aug 2016 6:50am
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Hi dantastic
its a kyham porch awning ... we’ve had it for about 10 yrs now and its lasting well ...
I’m not sure if its on the website any more but maybe give them a shout to see if there are any about still ...
] Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #560968 2nd Sep 2016 11:25pm
dave18

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Portofino Red
muddybaldboy wrote:
dave18 wrote:

Shocked I don't think I've seen so many ropes on a tent that size ever!!!! Rolling with laughter

13 lines if all used and and 27 pegs!!!! Mean while RTT has 14 pegs and two lines and awning has two lines and 2 pegs

Just got back from camping and mate has a Conway Canterbury trailer tent and it has 80 pegs !!!!!!!!
Post #561462 4th Sep 2016 11:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1