↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > fitting 6 1/2" rear speakers above the rear door
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
CDN38

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 SW Bonatti Grey
fitting 6 1/2" rear speakers above the rear door
I have been working on this now for about 6 months. After several prototypes, and figuring out just how to make a panel that fits exact...when no 2 trucks are exactly the same... I think I'm there! I have fitted the panels in a few '93 NAS trucks, through to a 2001 TD5. There's about a 6mm (.25") build tolerance in the mounting brackets that I've seen, and the panel will fit them all.

Click image to enlarge

Using 3/4" Baltic Birch Plywood (MDF is far too heavy and unstable with moisture, and who actually thinks there's no moisture in a Defender?) The panels are light, and very strong.

Upholstered with a really close to stock interior synthetic leather, the panel mounts to the 4 factory mounts used to hold in the original factory panel. SUPER solid and easily able to fit a pair of Focal or Hertz 165 2 way speakers. I may get creative and come up with a version for component speakers as well.

Click image to enlarge

The stock grab handles can be mounted in the original position, or left off. The upholstery comes in about 30 colours if "Landcover grey" gets a little too boring.

The West Coast of Canada is a little bit of a distance away, but I am going to have a chat with Big Dave and see what may be possible on bringing some over if there is some interest. If this is something you may be interested in... let me know.

Stay tuned... it's a Landrover thing...

my renovation thread:
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40792.html
Post #558481 24th Aug 2016 5:12am
Stiff1

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Hi, that's great work.

I had a thread going a while ago looking into something similar, would certainly be interested, can you give some idea on price?
Post #559007 25th Aug 2016 11:19pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Looking good! I looked into the same doing the same thing but cost prohibited really and lack of time.

Would also be good to make a Fibreglass mould, strong but light and then you could prime, hi build prime, rub down and then custom paint any colour you like.
Either as one piece or FG on its own with some kind of reinforcement.
(Only downside is FG isn't nice to work with and lots if fumes to be avoided, same with paint really.

Your definitely right that MDF isn't suitable, at least in that location anyway
Post #559008 25th Aug 2016 11:28pm
BCdefender

Canada 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Orkney Grey
I have to say this speaker solution has been fantastic. The depth behind the speakers seems to be perfect.

I have paired hertz 6.5 speakers with a hertz 10" sub and alpine fronts. Using a hertz 4d amp which fits perfectly in the cubby.

Also had dynamat installed in the roof. I'm not sure what I expected the combo of all this has created on of the best systems I have heard (even compared to my home b&w system).

Here's a pic below. Looks stock to me. Defender 2019?

Click image to enlarge

Edit: better exposure 1999 Defender 110
2003 P38
2007 RR SC

"And that's why it needs to be celebrated, because when the Defender goes we'll have lost this pointer to where we came from, and we're really going to miss it."

My build thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic47750.html
Post #559262 27th Aug 2016 1:57am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1