↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > clatter when switching off
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Wait for it...

"....but there may or may not be this strange, imperceptible yet somehow worrying and troublesome squeak / clatter / knock / thud / rumble / wobble / vibration / from somewhere, I know not where. I'm no expert but I just know something, somewhere is certainly / positively yet maybe / perhaps / potentially / catastrophically yet possibly not seriously wrong??"

I fear a silver bullet and an large skip is the only cure. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #551391 26th Jul 2016 6:46pm
rossy

Ireland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
Caterham, if its any consolation mine has clattered every time I switch off for five years now - a sound like two bits of metal banging together. It bothered me a bit at first but its just the way it is. Don't know what happens when the T/box is in neutral because I have only put it in low once -( yes just once in five years !) Embarassed I've used the diff lock thingumy once too ! I dare not do it again in case something breaks or has seized. Otherwise no clunks, clonks rattles of any description. I don't think you should worry about it to be honest.

Post #551427 26th Jul 2016 8:27pm
Mother superior

United Kingdom 
If you want something perfect then you're looking in the wrong place with a Defender, the creaks and bangs are part of their identity, a shipmate of mine once said " I've got a Beemer, it's very reliable, more so than your Landie " to which I replied
" my stapler is also very reliable, and has more personality then your Beemer, now F off, there's a good chap ".

But to be fair I'm probably from the opposite end of the spectrum, years ago the MOT man threw a fit when he found that my series 3 had broken her chassis, right above the back axle, he didn't clam down when I pointed out that it was all good as the leaf springs were holding it all together.

I've also driven a series with no steering wheel, just two pairs of mole grips, that was epic, if you set the angle of the grips just so it's like you're driving a TIE fighter.

I've also got a D4, which I was lucky enough to buy out of the box, she waited about 3 days before starting to exhibit her own quirks.
The important thing is don't take this whole thing too seriously..... Oh woe, oh woe
My crusty old landrover,
It will not go.
Post #551515 27th Jul 2016 8:30am
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
fair enough......

I just can't compute the random nature of things? I understand it's a defender and all that but its Ford engine and box and all the other stuff - take an axle. surely it either works or doesn't? (I love the truck but just can't compute this random stuff Big Cry )

over and out.

for now.
Post #551572 27th Jul 2016 12:44pm
Mother superior

United Kingdom 
Back when I had my D3 my mate flogged me his roof bars.
His D3 was only 6 months older than mine but when i tried to fit them they didn't fit, turns out his rails were about 10-15 mm closer together than mine ( we took the bars from one car and put them straight on the other ).
Some things, my old fruit just are, taxes will rise, you'll get older and Defenders will make funny noises.
My advise, for what it's worth, quit looking at the finger, you're missing out on all that celestial glory.... Oh woe, oh woe
My crusty old landrover,
It will not go.
Post #551603 27th Jul 2016 2:21pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I know you're right - it just doesn't compute.

I guess when you have conundrums over adding milk to tea ie if you want your tea hot when is it best to add cold milk, at the earliest opportunity or just before drinking it consider the heat losses between making and drinking it, against the temperature drop from adding milk at 4c to almost boiling tea or to tea that has cooled slightly. Adding the milk early will drop the drink temperature and therefore reduce the temp differential between the drink and ambient (therefore reducing heat loss) - I guess a defender is never going to be easy to live with?

ho hum.
Post #551605 27th Jul 2016 2:34pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Caterham wrote:
I guess a defender is never going to be easy to live with? ho hum.

Easier for the majority. Is a Defender really for you? Personally I think not from the public display of your shenanigans over several years and marathon 'Help I'm losing the will to live and slipping into the abyss threads." Neither do many others from historical suggestions to get shot! Much favour and goodwill have been invested into your forage into the 'unknown conundrum' by many thinking you have a genuine issue. This favour and goodwill is now wearing somewhat thin perhaps? What I would like to know for perhaps a reality check for yourself as well is how much you have shelled out in the pursuit of excellence in expenditure of both cash and hours of toil? It must be an eye watering amount?

No need to answer. Honestly!

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #551612 27th Jul 2016 3:06pm
Rickydodah

Personally I think Defenders are just like women. One minute they're fine and for no explanation they become difficult and unreasonable. We're not meant to understand them we just get on with it. They too need constant tinkering with and cosseting and you never know from one day to the next what will go wrong or what to expect. So unless we want to drive something boring and cook our own dinners then i guess we'll have to put up with them both, but it would be nice for just a little while at least neither gives us the aggro they do........just saying. Thumbs Up I started with nothing and still have most of it left!
Post #551639 27th Jul 2016 5:11pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Defenders= drive them till they break THEN fix them Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #551663 27th Jul 2016 5:59pm
Mother superior

United Kingdom 
Did Han solo worry about a strange noise coming from the flange spline bearing assembly when he made the Kessel run........don't think so

Punch it, Chewie Oh woe, oh woe
My crusty old landrover,
It will not go.
Post #551818 28th Jul 2016 9:19am
AlanH

Australia 
"Drive it 'til it breaks then fix it"!!!! That attitude may be all well and good in the UK or Europe but not in a country where you could be many hundreds of kays from any assistance at all. Ford ownership of LR did nothing at all for the Defender except cheapen what was a reasonably rugged vehicle.
I'm just having the adaptor shaft changed just in case as a friend had his go with no warning whatsoever on his 2007. Luckily he was at a road house here in WA where help was at hand but it still involved a very long expensive return to Perth for the vehicle and him and his wife.
As soon as the shaft has been replaced and I do another not too remote trip I'll be getting shot of it as I'm getting well past worrying about what might happen when we're deep in very remote country.
Both my brothers have LRs, one a RRS and the other a Freelander, both top of the range and love them, but they don't go where the cook and I do so do not have top worry about "what if"......
AlanH
Post #551830 28th Jul 2016 9:57am
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
So you are suggesting fixing something before it breaks? Rolling with laughter Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #551854 28th Jul 2016 11:54am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
^^^ That approach wouldn't really work with a Defender since you'd never know which of the thousands of eventual failures was coming next, so the chances of replacing the right part are very small. Rolling with laughter

On the other hand though, there is the "Caterham" approach: imagine a defect, then replace many completely irrelevant and fully-functional parts at great expense, then imagine another defect, and repeat ad nauseam. Shocked
Post #551883 28th Jul 2016 1:52pm
Mother superior

United Kingdom 
The thing is that your man here has replaced every component of his car at least 900 times, so we will never know if the original car he bought was iffy, it may have just needed a new fag lighter Oh woe, oh woe
My crusty old landrover,
It will not go.
Post #551905 28th Jul 2016 3:16pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
It'll be on a "Q" plate soon at this rate.
Post #551916 28th Jul 2016 4:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>