Home > Td5 > Won't start when warm
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Howard900

United Kingdom 
Won't start when warm
Hi All

I thought I would share a recent problem that I had with my TD5. I have owned this Landy for only a few months having returned to defender ownership after a break of 18 months. I had a 2012 TDCI which I had to trade in for a D4 due to my Wife not being able to put up with the firm ride in the defender due to a medical condition. Happily I recently managed to lay my hands on my current defender as my own run around. Basically I broke all the rules and bought on a whim off E Bay. Its turned out I was lucky and landed a full nut and bolt resto on a Richards Chassis. Fully recon P16 engine and R380 gearbox. She was fully rebuilt in 2012 on a 300TDI Vin number and logbook. HPI checks out and everything matches. Well pleased!

Anyway back to the main subject! I work out of the country so after being away for 6 weeks I come home and went to start her up. No joy just turning over. I carry out a full prime of the system and then she starts up. After taking her for a run I park her up overnight. Following morning starting is not an issue, then after a run to the garage she again starts up without issue, stop of at the Co Op, refuses to start. After much winding over she catches. This goes on for a couple of days. Cold start ok but once warm no joy!

After much internet searching the problem appears to be Injector seals! Decision is to call Ben at Blackpaw 4X4 as its just up the road. Ben seems to think it is probably the same thing. So get her started and run her over.

Ben and his lads fit new seals......No change!

Ben then mentioned that it could be the dreaded cracked cylinder head! However the engine is a 16p so to me it seemed a remote possibility!

After more internet digging I came across one case whereby the starter motor was causing this problem. It appeared in the post I read that when the engine got warm the starter motor would not spin over the engine fast enough to get the tin brain to fire the injectors. By all accounts the error that came up was that the crank sensor was at fault.

After mentioning this to Ben he said he had a starter motor in stock so he would give it a go........and bingo! all sorted.

I realise that this topic will have probably been covered before but I thought I would share in any case as initially I was confused as was Ben at Blackpaw.

Good to be back.
Post #551241 25th Jul 2016 11:42pm
Fatboy Slim

Wales 
Glad you sorted it Laughing

This is a problem I get with site land rovers. Normally diagnosed by bump starting it and they start then first piston up Thumbs Up
Post #551270 26th Jul 2016 8:44am
gazman

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Alpine White
I've just seen this. It was probably mine you came across. I couldn't find anything when it came to mine. But the fact it would bump start gave it away.

Glad you got it sorted, like yourself I posted the result in an attempt to help others 2014 - current ..... 2003 defender td5 90 (my car)
2009 - current .... 2005 zx10r
Post #551377 26th Jul 2016 5:30pm
Howard900

United Kingdom 
Gazman

Yes it was your post on here that I found. Also found a couple of other on different forums. Big help and saved me a lot of headache!!!

Many thanks!
Post #551462 26th Jul 2016 9:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1